|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> NEED HELP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ploiselle wrote:

Put a refrigerator fan in it. They make a big difference. They also help keeping the refrigerator deiced. Here are several versions.

I have not defrosted since I turned it on in mid January.

Paul

Paul,

Indeed the fans in the refrigerator will keep frost/ice down on the fins in the refrigerator section.

BUT, how thick is the ice in your freezer. That is really what determines when you need to defrost. As, I am sure you are aware, ice is a GREAT insulator. The more ice that builds up in the freezer, the higher the temperatures in the freezer, as more "coolant" reaches the refrigerator coils where the ON/OFF thermostat is located.

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

chili's trip

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/12 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shipper wrote:

ploiselle wrote:

I have the computer fans that attached to the fins. I have not defrosted since I turned it on in mid January.Paul

If you don't wire these fans to your interior light switch, where else can you get 12V? How do you go outside the refer with the wire to connect to voltage not inside the unit? Thanks for any replies!

You can buy a reefer fan at Walmart for $16 in the RV dept. Runs 30 days on 4 D cells. Good luck!
Jack H

2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

ploiselle

South Shore, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chili's trip wrote:

Shipper wrote:

ploiselle wrote:

I have the computer fans that attached to the fins. I have not defrosted since I turned it on in mid January.Paul

If you don't wire these fans to your interior light switch, where else can you get 12V? How do you go outside the refer with the wire to connect to voltage not inside the unit? Thanks for any replies!

You can buy a reefer fan at Walmart for $16 in the RV dept. Runs 30 days on 4 D cells. Good luck!
Jack H
I did not have good luck with the battery operated ones. I wired our computer fans to run off the switch at the top of the refrigerator that for some reason keeps the light on when the door is closed. I disconnected the light from that switch and wired in the fan. The light still works off of the door switch. I have a Dometic.

Paul

41' MountainAire (MADP) -Spartan- Cummins 350 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Brake Buddy - CoachNet

Gulfstream 8378

Pleasant View

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all......We just didn't leave it on long enough and didn't have enough power going to it to get it cold.... Thanks from the newby rvers

Grey Mountain

On the rez somewhere in Indian Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/12 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great news! Happy RVing.

GM

Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Jeep Cherokee Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

GTN_and_Catz

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/12 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From the "FWIW" Department...

I bought one of these fan kits in March after reading about them on the forum since the standard heat & humidty of a Texas spring had already helped ice up the fins on our fridge. After a few days, the fins were ice-free and everything was kept at a constant temperature. Now that summer's really kicked in, I don't see any change in performance so it's definitely the way to go.

This particular unit allows you to tap into the light for a constant 12VDC. And, if you don't want to leave it running all the time, there's a mini toggle switch on the front that will turn it off.

I'm sure you can find others - like the computer whisper fans - that will work also but this was a snap to install since it snapped (get it?) right onto the cooling fins.

Gene
2003 36' Rexhall RexAir
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Blue Ox Aventa II
2 Ragdolls
1 Tabby

beech350guy

USA! USA! USA!

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 02:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post deleted

* This post was edited 02/24/13 10:12pm by beech350guy *

2007 Dodge DRW, 6sp, 2wd, QC, Firestone Ride Rite, anda pullrite Super 5th hitch.
2011 Recreation By Design, Custom designed 48' 5th wheel. 4 slides, with a lot of goodies.

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last Summer I had a similar problem. The difference was My problem happened after having the refer running for 4 months. In that case I knew it was a problem not just the start up.After much reading and figuring I thought it was a board in the refer cooling portion. I found a Telephone number for the Dianasoar board company. The man that I talked with was very knowledgeable. Before he suggested my buying a board he helped me trouble shoot. I followed his instructions and bypassed the board I then found my lower unit was cooling. I then bought the board and fixed the problem. So after at least 24 hrs if it is not working do a search on Dinasoar boards.

93 Airstream 35' Dp
5.9 230 uprated to 300 HP
Allison MD 3060
Shadow 12 yr old Golden Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles (fur Bearing Children) Duchess my Golden daddys little girl at the Rainbow bridge since 4/12

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chili's trip wrote:

Shipper wrote:

ploiselle wrote:

Jack H

Thats what we use and it works great.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs-28years
We love 56 T-Birds

dennis and terry

wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you have an interior fridge light there will be 12VDC present at all times in the light unit. get a tester and see which wire stays hot when you manually trip the door closed latch.

dennis and terry
2000 damon intruder 349 (The Boo-mobile)
cats Hunter and Jazz
dog Abigail (newly adopted from humane society)
1995 Saturn wagon toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> NEED HELP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS