RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Fiver frame strengthening.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fiver frame strengthening.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
pressure_welder

brandon

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey fellas/ladies. Getting some final things done on the unit for the upcoming camping season, this year we purchased a new 2012 dually which in the end required us to put a 6" lift on the camper. The dealer didnt quite meet my expectations with the quality of the welding and lack of supporting members to accept the newly acquired 2"x6"x1/4" tubing. So i will be doing some frame stregthening myself, also installing a custom made heavy duty reciever to pull our 19' walleye boat. I am sure installing the reciever hitch i made will do nothing but stregthen the frame more so. I already have my game plan but always like to see new ideas. What have you guys done to beef up these flimsy 5ver frames? Especially those of you with a lift. I guess one thing to watch for is to not start adding 100's of lbs in extra material but it being a welder its sure hard not to! Id say after iam done installing my reciever hitch and gussets/cross braces to the lifted area their might be an extra 300lbs of material.

Happy trials!

2012 Duramax Denali Dually
2003 Triple E topaz 29' luxury touring edition.
1850 crestliner sportfish w/ 150 optimax

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a rig with a strong frame to begin with.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

pressure_welder

brandon

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a vast majority of these frames are all made by the same company being lippert, i know arctic fox makes their own, thanks for your useless post.

garysol

Avon Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pressure_welder wrote:

a vast majority of these frames are all made by the same company being lippert, i know arctic fox makes their own, thanks for your useless post.

Well said.

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 CTD SRW, Pullrite Superglide 18k on a picture frame.
2012 Komfort 3530fbh, Sailun S637, Ground Control

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/12 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also bought a little bit lighter fifth-wheel and had a hitch welded onto it. The welder strengthened it about four feet forward from the rear and than put some brackets on it welded to the top and the sides of the I-beams. He then welded the crossmember to the brackets, and put a bunch of little supports all over. Then he welded on the receiver. Overall, he spent about four hours welding on the support and hitch. Haven't tried towing yet, but will here in a while. I believe that a majority of the frames on the lighter fifth-wheels are pretty slim to save weight. Hope yours works well.

John A. Lichty

mpfireman

Cook County Il

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really dought that you can order a different frame for your or any other camper, unless it is custom made. When campers roll of the production line they might have different frames due to size and weight, nothing less. So welding and strengthening the frame, ( Thus voiding the factory warranty) is a personal decision we have to make. Probably no two units are modified the same way unless they are done by the same shop.
Last time out camping I saw a trailer that had been modified two times, as the owner switcher tow vehicles, It really was tall off the ground, but towed perfect, stated the owner.

1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

Kennedycamper

Algoa, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The root problem is that newer pick-up trucks are too high in the bed sides. There should be hauler versions for people wanting to hitch up a fiver.

rsgs

Harrison Twp., Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I welded gussets and one cross brace in before welding my hitch in. Beefed it up a lot. I only haul a drift boat with it and don't plan on exceeding 1000lbs but believe it could haul more than twice that.

John and Robyn
Annie and Emma
Penny (Brittany) Lucy (Golden Ret.)
·2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew LB Duramax/Allison
·2004 Fleetwood/Prowler Regal Extreme Edition 2952 Bunk

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, Braden
Looking forward to pics , tow handling report. in your previous posts and our private messages it is clear you have a good handle on the stresses and how to deal with them. I'd hire you to work on mine if it needed it.
Max

pressure_welder

brandon

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what i got back from the dealer after the lift, and who knows i could drive a million miles and nothing could ever happen. As you can see the welds are absolutely flawless..... not. Ill have a few hours of work ahead of me i am thinking! ill post pictures when i am done.

* This post was edited 04/30/12 07:38pm by pressure_welder *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fiver frame strengthening.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS