RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toadless C Owners, Do You Feel Limited?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Toadless C Owners, Do You Feel Limited?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first motor home (hardly called a motor home) was only 17'-6" which of coarse we had no need for a tow vehicle. We bought that little rig new in 1983 for $12,250 when we started a family. It was great to have everything with us all the time with small children.

Fast forward to today, the replacement is 7'-2" longer than the first one. Our needs are differnet in our later years which required a real self contained rig. With that given, extreme mobility with a 4x4 "Once At" our destinations is our priority today. If a change in destination declairs no need for a tow once in a while, then we'll simply leave the tow home.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/12 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

snowdance wrote:

This is always an interesting subject [...] I know who is right here, [whoever] feels the way you do, like all subjects like this..

Surely so.

It is all about what you want to do on the way, and once arrived at, a destination. Also, is the destination a long term 'camp', or an RV park-for-nite before touring on.

A similar thing comes up when people ask whether they should get a compact 22' w/ dinette/sofa drop down to a bed conversion each nite, or a 25-30' Class C with a rear queen permanent bed.

It is what YOU want, and it's kinda' neat that class C rigs are so versatile to accommodate so many optional RVing styles.

2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

dobbler98

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/12 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenbear wrote:

SkipJ wrote:

No one has mentioned the reduction in MPG pulling a toad.
SkipJ

You're right of course. Since I almost always have my toad I don't know what the reduction is. I have read other posts that it is about 1 mpg. Of course, the size of the toad has some effect.

I don't think you can justify a toad on cost alone. You have to save a lot of gas to overcome the cost of equipping a car to become a toad.

IMHO there is no way to recoup any cost by having a toad. As mentioned loss of MPG for towing, cost of outfitting to tow. Now add the cost of early tire wear and other maintenance items from just being a toad.

1993 Minnie Winnie
Class C 24'
Chevy 350
Usually pulling one of my toys

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/12 05:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dobbler98 wrote:

tenbear wrote:

SkipJ wrote:

No one has mentioned the reduction in MPG pulling a toad.
SkipJ

You're right of course. Since I almost always have my toad I don't know what the reduction is. I have read other posts that it is about 1 mpg. Of course, the size of the toad has some effect.

I don't think you can justify a toad on cost alone. You have to save a lot of gas to overcome the cost of equipping a car to become a toad.

IMHO there is no way to recoup any cost by having a toad. As mentioned loss of MPG for towing, cost of outfitting to tow. Now add the cost of early tire wear and other maintenance items from just being a toad.

I have not seen any "early tire wear or other maintenance items from just being a toad". I think if you were renting a car or using the motorhome for the sightseeing your costs would be far greater.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/12 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dobbler98 wrote:

I really think you are right. Its on the long list of things some people can not camp without.

In your cost for the toad you also need to add in. Food you have to buy when out with the toad. We do not eat fast food (been sick from it far to many times) so for us its sit down meals. Hard to have a good lunch or any dinner for less than $30.00 for two any more. So we usaly have two meals out when spending a day so add an extra $60+ per day. Food eaten in the MH does not count as you fix it and would eat any way. On a normal 9 day trip we spend 4-5 days out of camp so extra $240+ or $300 for food. Or fuel if driving MH which odds are would be less.

We have traveled and camped for over 40 years and we travel light and camp simple. Unlike many of our friends that arrive with extra boxes and bags of stuff stacked every where in their MH. Takes them 2 days hard work to set up camp. For us its parking with hookups if needed not just because they are there. We never leave an awning up at night even if spending the week with out leaving camp. Seen to many of them wrapped up over the rigs from night wind storms in the last 40+ years. We use our BBQ but return it to our storage when finished. Picking up to leave on a day trip is 10 min. or so.. Or friends need a toad as breaking camp 2 times on a week trip would use their whole week.

Fuel cost does not always work out the way you think. We have made many motorcycle trips. Fuel not much cost. Great save big bucks?? But one week of normal motorcycle travel cost $1200+ with room and food ect. We never made a trip by car or bike we can not make cheaper with the MH. Food always runs up the tab fast. Motel rooms you can sleep in not stay awake in fear cost.

I am not even going to touch on the subject of using public restrooms any more. When it comes to extra cost for fuel for the MH over using them on day trips its MH every time.

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenbear wrote:

I have not seen any "early tire wear or other maintenance items from just being a toad". I think if you were renting a car or using the motorhome for the sightseeing your costs would be far greater.

Same for us - our favorite toad was my Wrangler/daily driver. We bought used tow equipment and found a Brake Buddy cheap on ebay. We calculated the gas MPG dropped by .5 when towing - but the ability to explore remote and beautiful areas in the Colorado Front Range, for example - is priceless!!

There's also the "ooops" factor: I wanted to find where my ancestors settled in Vermont, as we were returning toadless from Nova Scotia. Granted - we probably shouldn't have been driving a motorhome, no matter HOW nimble, on the narrow gravel roads we had to take, up in the mountains. All it took was a UPS delivery truck coming towards us, to push us a little too close to the bermed dirt next to the road...and demolished our step. Rats! When you add the cost of a new step, installed.... all of a sudden a toad would have been a smart thing to bring along!

TippleUnduly

Cranbury, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

39 years of motorhoming with no toad and I prefer it. With most motorhomes we've owned there was enough to worry about going down the road. No need to add more complexity. If we stay in an interesting area that's not so friendly to a coach, (like Santa Fe) we will rent a car. Works great.

Bill K

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

snowdance wrote:

dobbler98 wrote:

I really think you are right. Its on the long list of things some people can not camp without.

In your cost for the toad you also need to add in. Food you have to buy when out with the toad. We do not eat fast food (been sick from it far to many times) so for us its sit down meals. Hard to have a good lunch or any dinner for less than $30.00 for two any more. So we usaly have two meals out when spending a day so add an extra $60+ per day. Food eaten in the MH does not count as you fix it and would eat any way. On a normal 9 day trip we spend 4-5 days out of camp so extra $240+ or $300 for food.

We choose to pack a lunch when sightseeing with the toad, and we are always back to the MH for supper, even if it is somewhat delayed. Our food costs are not affected by having a toad. We choose this not so much because of cost but to avoid eating the oversize meals served in most restaurants. One of the reasons we bought an RV.

charlessfolly

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/12 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aww come on now.Isn't one of the best parts of an RV vacation driving around in your RV?Just parking at the Mall while wife gets the groceries makes me smile.Setting up and taking down at the campsite?Isn't this why you bought a class "C"and not an "A" or a trailor?Driving into town in a 28 foot rig is an Adventure!I wouldn't miss it by driving around in a car(toad)!

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's not get too far into the cost factor involved in a TOAD, or we'll all end up selling the RVs and camping in a tent!

OR NOT!

But let's face it. Traveling in an RV is not the 'cost effective' way to go. By the time you buy the rig, lose the depreciation, do the maintenance and repair. It's not really a 'poor folks' way to go. "It more likely Keeps us poor". But we like it.

Oh yes, and I forgot to mention that itty bitty item. FUEL

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Toadless C Owners, Do You Feel Limited?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS