RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Wow... tire prices. And 16 vs 18 ply?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Wow... tire prices. And 16 vs 18 ply?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Nomadac

Columbus, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/12 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed 6 XZA3 275/80R/22.5 H rating Michelins 2 years ago for $3200 installed that were 30 days from date of production. FMCA has a program for Michelin tires for members that I have heard is a good price, from those that have used it.

As mentioned Michelin is building a multi-$ Million plant in SC where they also have two other plants. South Carolina is becoming the Tire Capital of the U.S.

I am not familiar with your XZ152M Coach Tires since most I see are the XZA2 series. I don't even see that tire listed on their RV Tire website?

I wonder why none of the MH Mfg. use Remington Tires if they are so good and comparable to Michelins? I guess you get what you pay for.

Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nomadac wrote:

I installed 6 XZA3 275/80R/22.5 H rating Michelins 2 years ago for $3200 installed that were 30 days from date of production. FMCA has a program for Michelin tires for members that I have heard is a good price, from those that have used it.

As mentioned Michelin is building a multi-$ Million plant in SC where they also have two other plants. South Carolina is becoming the Tire Capital of the U.S.

I am not familiar with your XZ152M Coach Tires since most I see are the XZA2 series. I don't even see that tire listed on their RV Tire website?

I wonder why none of the MH Mfg. use Remington Tires if they are so good and comparable to Michelins? I guess you get what you pay for.

I never said I was endorsing them and I never once compared them to Michelin's, I related MY experience with them and if thats TOO much for you to handle.....Tuff!!!! I got just as good of results with the cheap Azz Remington's as those that spent twice/three times as much on Michelin's. Those are the facts....BUT as with anything else, your mileage may differ!!!

96 Vogue Prima Vista 37' CAT 3176B
Our Babies: Mollie, Cassie and Maggie, all rescued King Charles Spaniels, Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie, Scoutie, Katie, Cooper, Kodie and our sweet Rubie RIP kids!

Rally's and get togethers.....Lots

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to be clear as a bell on this for sake of argument....I dont care how another spends his/her money on tires....thats a personal decision. I do say this, for this RV'er(meaning "me") whose tires rot before the tread gives out, purchasing a "lower price" tire in the sizes we are speaking of, worked out well, so far, for me! Once again, I dont endorse any tire over another, I dont predict your results will match mine...I only offer this as my results and what I paid. As far as Im concerned, I didnt compromise on ride quality either although that maybe as a result of a 32-34,000 lb Mh and arguably the Best steering stablizer on the market (Howard power center). As always, IMHO.

Tntman

Livingston, Texas USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my Mich tire blew out (Z-RV), I checked prices as the one brought to me on the highway was $400. I got so many prices from Mich dealers, I called Mich and asked about their MSRP. My surprise came with the answer "We are a tire Wholesaler and do NOT set prices on our tires". I ended up with Toyos on the back as I bought two for the price of one Mich.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and two neat dogs- Booger & Goshe
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Blue Ox Tow products, 2008 Hummer H-3
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nomadac wrote:

In most cases, the motorhome builder DOES NOT select the tires! The CHASSIS builder does. Considering the volume they build (not just motorhomes, of course), I suspect Remington could not do it. Of course, International is shipping new school buses with Chinese Doublecoin tires.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Nomadac wrote:

I never said I was endorsing them and I never once compared them to Michelin's, I related MY experience with them and if thats TOO much for you to handle.....Tuff!!!! I got just as good of results with the cheap Azz Remington's as those that spent twice/three times as much on Michelin's. Those are the facts....BUT as with anything else, your mileage may differ!!!

I have found that Michelin loyalists are a bit like the Apple cultists.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

This topic is always so interesting and realize some people just have to have the Top name brands but just for reference on my 295/75r/22.5, I bought Remington's 18 ply 10 years ago for 1900.00 out the door, I waited one year too long to replace them last year(had a rear blowout so Ill stick with the 8 year plan for now on) with Yokohama's 18 ply at 2300.00 out the door and surprisingly enough, the guy I bought these from said I could order Remington's again for about 2 grand out the door. Michelin's for 4-6000.00, Ill take my chances But as always, to each their own!

I agree with this post. I'd go for a less expensive, but still good brand. $5-6k for tires is ridiculous.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

blangen

South Dakota... and everywhere.

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/12 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doubleG wrote:

Just went thru homework and bought Michelin XZA2 Energy from Calahan's in Riviera Beach thru FMCA national discount program for $638 each. WOW, first Mish's and what a smooth ride. They had 5-6 other brands, but wanted to try Michelin's and put them up front 295 80R22.5. Aging out on other GY G670's(won't do that rivering again), will try to get another year out of them and then replace with all Michelins.

Yep, $50 to the FMCA keeps about $1000 in my pocket. I, like you, went with the ZXA2 Energy for $638. The fine print says they're steer tires but I'm going with them all around. The upside (I'm told) is that, on the rear, they are good on wet and ice but the down side is they are not so good on mud and snow. But I'm guessing that also means a quieter, smoother ride.

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/12 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They use Michelins on the space shuttle. I'll stick to my Michelins.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

RckyMtnVia

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/12 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Denver, Michelin ZXA2 Energy 275/70R 22.5 sell for $592 without FMCA program. Waste of $50.

2013 Winnebago Via 25T
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Occasionally)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Wow... tire prices. And 16 vs 18 ply?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: