RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How Loud Is Your Generator?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> How Loud Is Your Generator?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
higherroad

Atlanta

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My '92 Roadtrek has a Onan Microlite generator. It works fine, starts up well and runs the ac and microwave well. But, it's loud! And, being right under the bed shakes the bedding area. This is my first generator and I'm just learning about them. Is this amount of noise to be expected from an old generator or is there some tuning or maintenance that can be done to quiet it down a bit?

retraite

Wanderin' about

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, there are a couple of things you can do.

First, add an Onan resonator "inline" to the genset exhaust. It's a cut and weld proposition, but fairly easy for a welding or muffler shop to do.

Second, make a small modification to the way the genset exhaust pipe is attached to the body. Remove the rubber mounting joint and replace it with a spring.

Both MyRoadtrek and Handbasket have posted on each of these points regularly and will likely chime in. Or, you can search earlier postings for their photos.

I've done both - thanks to them - and it DOES make a difference.

Cheers.

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

go to rodgers website myroadtrek. he has a full section on this

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming it's an Onan Microlite 2800.... On one that age, I'd suggest dropping it and removing the top green part of the box. There's a muffler inside the box (passenger's side), and that's the only way to inspect it & the piping leading to and from it.

This old post of mine http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25841618.cfm shows it with the top off; 1st photo is from the service access door side, and the muffler is on the right with a pipe leading to it from the cylinder head. Be sure all that stuff is intact.

That'll get you started. Then check the tailpipe. Be sure it's free to vibrate. Roadtrek has been known to use a too-rigid hanger on the outer part of the tailpipe. If it's constrained from shaking around, vibration is transmitted into the body thru the hanger, and the Onan isolation mounts can't work right. See Rodger's excellent web site for more info on that, and the Onan tailpipe resonator. http://myroadtrek.homestead.com/.

I'll post some more minor things you can do later.

Jim, "Beer me."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory') www.tigervehicles.com

MAU MAU

New Hampshire and Maine

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a video showing the effectiveness of the resonator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQboSPqKtfE

Roadtrek 170 Popular

Jerrybo66

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always thought that mega amounts of insulation was needed to deaden sound. Not true. I don't know your situation but sound causes vibration, vibration causes more sound. Because of the suggestions from the good folks on this forum I covered the dog box of my Arctic Cat Side-by Side with "Dynamat". I would of never thought the plastic box was vibrating to amplify the sound of the motor that much. If your generator is housed in a metal box I suggest you cover it with "Dynamat", as recommended by this group. It's expensive but with all the rip-off products today it's worth it. I've heard about Danamat before but because of the cost didn't have the courage to try it until the recommendation from this group. It's about $65.00 for 12 sq. ft. There's another less expensive product with an asphalt base that can't stand heat. I didn't want it.... As for the above, I've been there done that, but still, in my opinion.. Good luck..

Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Yamaha 3000 at the back of the unit and when we are watching TV at the front of the rig , you can hardly hear it. Its just a soft purr.

BudJ

Kenner, LA

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Is this amount of noise to be expected"

Don't know how loud the noise is, BUT the Onan used in class B's are LOUD.

Some solutions have been offered above, but it is still considered a loud RV generator. It is not a Honda or Yamaha. If you could eliminate All of the exhaust noise, it would still not be a quiet RV generator.

Bud

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter what you do to deaden the sound you are still going to save lots of quarters with your free magic fingers bed.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

Road-Trekker

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is another Onan resonator install. I replaced the factory exhaust hanger with an automotive rubber exhaust hanger. The resonator install really makes a big difference.

http://roadtreklife.blogspot.com/2011/08/diy-installing-onan-resonator.html

edit. link fixed

* This post was edited 05/02/12 10:52am by Road-Trekker *

Roadtrek Agile SS: DIY Mods,Camping, and Travel Adventures.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> How Loud Is Your Generator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS