|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Fluid Leaking From Rear Wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Roadglider09

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope I uploaded the pic correctly. Anyway, I noticed oil collecting in the chrome rim on my back wheel. I pulled the center cap off and there is a smaller hub with 12 bolts holding it on. The leak appears to be right there. I've tried Googling Eaton axles but can't find a definitive diagram showing whats behind there. My brother, an OTR driver for 30+ years, says it's an axle seal leaking, it's relatively common, and relatively inexpensive to replace. Has anyone had to replace one, and if so, whats the average cost?

Michael & Donna
Little Ones Becky & Karen
Deland, FL
2012 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Couple of Harleys (when not pulling the Jeep!)

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may be a paper gasket.

Johnny G1

Clearwater, British Columbia ,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Must be some kind of new axle, never seen one fall out yet after removing the nuts, usually wedge washer in behind the nuts,and we used a sledge hammer to get the axle out, pretty simple if you know what you are doing, Removed hundreds of them in the towing businus, Just my thoughts.

1998 34' Newmar Mountain Aire,210 Cummins Puller, 542 Allison 4 speed, BD Performance Exhaust Brake, BD Torque Convertor, Hendrickson Air suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes. 4-120 Watt 2-80 Watt Kyocera panels 8-T105s 2013 Golf Wagon TDI with tow dolly

jmanatee

Alstead, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/12 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it a floating axle. If you take out the 12 bolts your axle will slide out.

your rear end lube will come out.

clean the old seal off put on new seal and slide axle back in. Replace bolts.

Sometimes the axle can be a pain to get spline lined up.

Check rear end oil replace as needed.

Jon

RV Web Site | 50 Night Cross Country Trip
Our Solar Install | Roof Replacement Project

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you
didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain

2008 Monaco Cayman XL 38PBD

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just be sure to use some good axle oil (stinky stuff) after you fix the leak.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Roadglider09

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/12 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, are you guys saying there is a gasket behind those 12 nuts, and that's it? Once I remove those nuts, the axle will slide out, and I just need to replace the gasket? There's nothing else inside to replace or mess with? That sounds too easy.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/12 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mohare7,
First off, posting pics can be a pain, if the right process is not followed. There's at least a couple of ways of doing it. Yours did not come through, at least on my end they didn't. If you'd like more info on at least one way to do it, PM me and I'll walk you through it, no biggie.

Second, the axle system has been somewhat explained to you. I don't know how much you WANT to know about it so I'll give you a tad more info on it.

The rear hub, is normally independent of the rear brake drum or disc, depending on just what kind of brakes you have. The hub, runs on a set of two, opposite facing, tapered wheel bearings. The entire system is held in place, on the rear axle "Housing" via a very large axle housing nut. Now, on the outside of that hub, is a flat surface that, your axle is attached to, via those bolts you are seeing.

So, since the hub is held on the axle housing independently of the axle itself, that is why you can simply unbolt the axle and pull it out. There is NO WEIGHT on that axle itself. All the weight of the motor home is carried on the hub. But, like one of the other boys here has stated, they are sometimes (quite often) a "BEAR" to break loose. They get sort of glued in place. Sometimes by the sealant used by the assembler sometimes almost by rust, sometimes both.

I've assisted our mechanics working on all of our fire trucks and yes, many times they had to use a rather large sledge hammer to "Break" that bond between the axle head and that flat surface on the outer edge of the hub. They hit that axle head, dead on the end of it. The percussion and micro amount of flexing is all that's needed to "unglue" it from the hub. Sometimes they come right off too.

If yours is leaking at that joint, between the head and the hub, then maybe you'll be lucky in removing the axle and won't have to use the "persuader". The axle is not that heavy, around 15-20 lbs, plus or minus. So, in the event that you would like to do this yourself, and, you determine that it (the leak) was just a bad gasket in between them, then yes, a clean up is needed, a new gasket and some silicone sealer, clean all the bolts, and the bolt holes.

By the way, if the mating surfaces are good, which they should be, then after a good clean up with some brake-kleen or similar spray cleaner, then many mechanics don't use a gasket, they simply put a bead of silicone around the entire perimeter of the hub and slide in the axle. And yes, the hard part at that point will be to align the "splines" in the inside of the housing with the axle ends. Doable but, a pain once in a while.

A point to check here. Either before you start this job or during, look in behind that hub, there's a hub seal on the back side that, can leak and reak havoc too. That seal is what keeps the diff oil from oozing out of the back of the hub, around the axle housing. But, normally when those leak, it will show it on the inside of the rear tires and not migrate out to the side you're looking at from the side of the coach.

And here's a small tip. Again if you plan on doing this job, you can reduce the amount of differential oil that will escape via the axle removal by jacking that corner of the motor home up a bit before you start the job. The more you jack it, the less oil will migrate out. You don't have to put the rig at a 45 degree angle, just jack it up a bit on that corner.

When you're done, those axle end bolts have a specific torque on them too. You need to look up the torque specs and see what's needed. Hope this explanation helps some.
Scott

* This post was edited 05/01/12 10:34pm by FIRE UP *

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Smittyy

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have any oil leaking from the inside out of the brake drum ? It is kind of unusual for the axle seal to leak unless it has been removed and the gasket or silicone not replaced.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mohare7 wrote:

So, are you guys saying there is a gasket behind those 12 nuts, and that's it? Once I remove those nuts, the axle will slide out, and I just need to replace the gasket? There's nothing else inside to replace or mess with? That sounds too easy.
You want a very big pan to catch all that nasty gear lub that is going to come flying out of there and make a mess of everything. I let a shop do it. Not that expensive and they clean up the mess.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

sc3283

St Louis

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/12 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mohare if you can park the vehicle on and angle so the leaking side is high...you can eliminate most to all of the rear end oil from leaking out once the axle is removed

04 D-Max Crew Dually

96 Monaco Dynasty 36'

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Fluid Leaking From Rear Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: