RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: First Time With No Hookups...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> First Time With No Hookups...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 12:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I did boat deliveries from Florida down to the Virgin Islands we had one gallon per person per day, no refrigeration, and we made it work for weeks. 25 miles off the Florida coast the VHF was worthless and no way to communicate with anyone until we reached our final destination.

Now with only the two of us in a truck and camper tooling down the highway and a 30 gal. fresh water tank it is hard to see this as roughing it. There is something to be said for not taking your city lifestyle and all the comforts of home out into the boondocks.

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

why do you keep the water pump on continuously? Turn it on only when yo use it. It works for us. Also, get a second battery. We can go almost a week without needing a generator. We run the radio most of the time (most of the time we're in the boat on the lake though).
We find we use very little power. It just takes practice.

2011 Adventurer 910FBS,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD, 4x4, LB,CC,6 speed auto,3.73 axle, General 17" on/off road
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Driver25

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/12 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

Your going to need a second battery. Set your thermostat to 52 degrees and take extra blankets.

30 gallons a day...WOW! If you run your water pump dry it will not last very long...

52 degrees? Seriously? My furnace doesn't work at the moment and last October and this April I found that anything below 55 inside was pretty damn uncomfortable to the point of making it difficult to sleep. I was considering either an electric blanket (I don't dry camp) or a sleeping bag if the furnace was too costly to fix. Unfortunately, the furnace worked very nicely at the repair shop when I took it in, as it does every now and then (not at night, of course). But now I can ignore the problem for another couple months.

1L243

Roseburg Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heck, where I live 52 degrees is considered Balmy!

2011 Work and Play 30WR. Added 2nd AC, four deep cycle batteries.

Driver25

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/12 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cm11599ps wrote:

My parents bought plastic plated and cups. They are not the disposable kind. That means they have to clean them. I think that's where the gray water tank got filled up. They left the water running, albeit trickling out. I think that's one of their mistakes. That may work if you have a sewer but without one you should probably use disposable stuff. It's the first time dry camping so I assume they'll learn their lesson. Who wants to dump a tote everyday? Not me!

Yes. I can use 30 gallons a day easily and I shower in the bath house, it's the dish/pot/pan washing. I don't RV without sewer hook-up for this reason. I'm there to relax, and toting water or washing the fry pan in a cup of water is not my idea of fun. To each his own.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Driver25,

I have a couple of 12 volt electric blankets and love them. I do use them when boondocking.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

jassrnj

Bath, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/12 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to dry camp, you will need at least two batteries. 12 volt is ok, 6 volt is better.

Chakara

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/12 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jassrnj wrote:

If you are going to dry camp, you will need at least two batteries. 12 volt is ok, 6 volt is better.

I don't necesarily agree with this jassrnj - as I said before - in our old Casita we could do a 4 day weekend on a single group 27 battery. We couldn't do that if we needed more than lights and water pump - but really, in warm weather what more do you need?

-Chak

EDIT: PS: The Casita's fridge had a pilot lite and didn't use any electricty. It was a 2003 model....

- 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 standard
- 2010 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 246RKS 28'

Link to my Blog with Techie stuff like LED's and Boondocking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> First Time With No Hookups...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts