|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> prpane tanks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/12 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LPG tanks are permanently mounted like in a motorhome. LPG DOT cylinders are used on trailers.

I would have to see proof that any tunnel will prohibit an RV with LPG cylinders/tanks. When you see regulations like that it is regarding commercial transportation, it does not apply to private use. There may be limitations on how many pounds/gallons but not an outright ban. What would a MH do? A permanently mounted tank cannot be removed easily.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/12 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

LPG tanks are permanently mounted like in a motorhome. LPG DOT cylinders are used on trailers.

I would have to see proof that any tunnel will prohibit an RV with LPG cylinders/tanks. When you see regulations like that it is regarding commercial transportation, it does not apply to private use. There may be limitations on how many pounds/gallons but not an outright ban. What would a MH do? A permanently mounted tank cannot be removed easily.

Go to Maryland DOT. You will see that it is illegal to go through the underwater tunnels there if you have LP tanks or cylinders. Doesn't matter if they are shut off or not. That includes both I-95 and I-895.

Obviously, Baltimore has another way to go north or south other than those two tunnels. Any vehicle, RV or otherwise, that has LP tanks or cylinders can use the Key Bridge on I-695.

In Virginia, an RV can use all the underwater tunnels even if it has LP tanks or cylinders, BUT the gas must be turned off before entering the tunnel.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

McDaddy wrote:

Skip, I guess I don't understand your statement that trailers don't have LP tanks. I have two 30 lb LP tanks mounted on the front of my travel trailer (on the tongue). Am I missunderstanding?

I believe he meant permantly installed tanks that are not easily removable and/or mot removed for refilling.different regulations on those tanks. JMG

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Chad/Jen

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/12 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

Go to Maryland DOT. You will see that it is illegal to go through the underwater tunnels there if you have LP tanks or cylinders. Doesn't matter if they are shut off or not. That includes both I-95 and I-895.

Obviously, Baltimore has another way to go north or south other than those two tunnels. Any vehicle, RV or otherwise, that has LP tanks or cylinders can use the Key Bridge on I-695.

In Virginia, an RV can use all the underwater tunnels even if it has LP tanks or cylinders, BUT the gas must be turned off before entering the tunnel.

It's been a while since I've been on 95 around that area but we're going that way this summer. Can you help me remember where the tunnels are so I can avoid them?

Thsldo

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/12 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this is a good question, I never thought of it, and just drove through the tunnel on my way to NH or ME. Mass Dot has this on their site

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/DoingBusinessWithUs/PermitsRoadAccessPrograms/CommercialTransport.aspx#hazmat

so would a propane tank be described as hazmat? if so, wouldn't we all need the HC safety sign on the the back of our trailers? I imagine there is a size limit. just something to think about.

Tom & Steph and 4 munchkins
2001 Coachmen Cadet Hybrid
2011 Dodge Durango 5.7

sgip2000

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/12 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone else think these rules are a bit dumb since there's no limit on how much fuel can be in your fuel tank on the TV or MH?

Is 60 lbs of propane that much more flammable than 100 gals of diesel?

McDaddy

Saugus, Ma

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

60 lbs of propane is much more flammable than 100 gallons of diesel.

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/12 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

McDaddy wrote:

60 lbs of propane is much more flammable than 100 gallons of diesel.

60# of propane is 15 gallons. 100 gallons of diesel will burn hotter and do more damage. I have seen several concrete bridges that have been replace due to diesel fires. Not one have I seen due to a propane fire.

Bonefish

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

McDaddy wrote:

Skip, I guess I don't understand your statement that trailers don't have LP tanks. I have two 30 lb LP tanks mounted on the front of my travel trailer (on the tongue). Am I missunderstanding?

It is an issue of terminology. Technically, you do NOT have two 30 lb. LP TANKS on your trailer, you have two 30 lb. BOTTLES or CYLINDERS.
A lot of people think they are TANKS, but they really are not.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

biskit6

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/12 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

McDaddy wrote:

It is an issue of terminology. Technically, you do NOT have two 30 lb. LP TANKS on your trailer, you have two 30 lb. BOTTLES or CYLINDERS.
A lot of people think they are TANKS, but they really are not.

Yeah, but propane is very easy to ignite. Try to light diesel and see how that goes.

2004 Coachmen Catalina Lite 270BH
2003 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> prpane tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: