|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> UHF antenna problem

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
greg4444

Kingwood, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/12 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Direct TV satellite and HD TV, but sometimes I want to watch the local channels on the UHF atenna. However recently it does not give a signal to my TV. It is a power antenna, typical 5th wheel type. My question is, can I run the power antenna cable directly to the satellite reciever (off air input), or connect directly to TV? Or will the power damage both. Should I run it through that push button box to safegauard reciever and TV? I was going to get rid of that push button box, seems sort of archaic, was meant to drive multiple TV's, but we only have one.

Greg and Barbara
2003 Ford F-250 7.3 PSD CC FX4
2002 Fleetwood Pride 30' 5'er

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/12 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Winegard antenna on most rigs work. The problem developes is they were not designed for the digital TV signals. I added the Wingman which improved the signal greatly. It snaps into place on the bottom of the existing antenna.
Another problem is loosing power to the antenna. 12 volts is induced into the coaxial cable by the wall unit with the small switch.
I have the push button video switch which makes it easy to use. I haven't had any problems after I replaced most of the crimp connections in the rig with press in connectors.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

Johnworth914

USA!

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As enbhethen noted, last year over-air transmission of analog tv signals was halted in favor of digital signals. Your old antenna can;t pick up the digital, but wingman might work for you.

Alaska is next! Still trying to fit the pontoons to the RV so We can get to Hawaii!

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/12 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johnworth914 wrote:

As enbhethen noted, last year over-air transmission of analog tv signals was halted in favor of digital signals. Your old antenna can;t pick up the digital, but wingman might work for you.

Then, how come my old winegard batwing pick up the digital just fine?

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

RvBill3

Collinsville, IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/12 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Digital signals are in the UHF band. Many stations were VHF before the switch to digital. The Wineguard antenna has always received both, but its ability to receive UHF band can be improved with the addition of the Wingman attachment. This is helpful because weak signals in analog come in as snowy, but weak signals in digital pixelate then go blank.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/12 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My antenna pick up digital signals fair. After adding the wingman other channels showed up in the old UHF range that the antenna didn't pick up.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After analog to digital switchover, we had a lot of trouble getting anything at all on the old Winegard antenna. Installed a new Sensar 4 head with the wingman built in, and now have lots of OTA channels. Have received some over 50 miles. We were able to pick up the Ft Smith channel from Branson with no problem. When tree leaves get wet, it does block some digital signals. I think that our problem was just that the old antenna was failing due to age.

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 Poodle

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/12 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a lot of confusion about broadcast TV today. Here are some points to consider:

Any antenna that worked well for analog will work for digital. There is no such thing as a digital antenna. "Digital" has become a buzz word to boost antenna sales.

Most OTA (Over The Air) TV is UHF, but some are VHF, therefore it is important to have a broadband antenna capable of receiving both VHF and UHF . Probably the most common RV antenna is the Winegard Sensar(batwing). This antenna works well, especially with the Wingman attachment. Another antenna that is becoming popular is the King Controls Jack. I have used both and the Jack seems to perform a little better than the Winegard.

Probably the most common problem is bad or corroded connectors. This is especially problematic with the UHF band. Make sure all connections are tight and clean. Connections tend to loosen up especially when subject to the vibrations of an RV.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB

Snow_King

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The other issue is the "Chicken or Egg" thing. With digital it is a bit harder to point the antenna in the right direction before you set up the receiver to scan for channels and set them into memory of available channels. So if your antenna is pointed away from the towers and you scan for channels, you do not "load" very many for viewing. So what is the best way to resolve this "Chicken or Egg" thing?

1. Look at where most other antenna's in the campground are pointed and set yours that direction before scanning.
or
2. There are online sites that show antenna locations. http://www.tvfool.com/

In the East Valley of Phoenix at our RV resort, there are at least three different tower locations that work.

Chickern or Egg, Chicken or Egg, Chicken or Egg

Somewhere in a Fifth Wheel - Where it does not Snow

greg4444

Kingwood, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/12 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I don't need to use the video switch box anymore? I thought I read or heard once that you should run the power antenna cable through it to protect the satellite reciever and/or TV. Can't remember...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> UHF antenna problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS