|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Smoked The Converter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
kcgaz

Scottsdale, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wanted to have a 30 amp service installed to run the air conditioner when we are getting ready to head out or when we come home from a trip and my neighbor said that he could do it for me. He installed another electric box because our current box was maxed out and he ran the cable out to a box near our motorhome.

Today was the day to flip the breaker and test everything. Unfortunately things did not work out well. The breakers tripped in the motorhome and smoke started to billow out of the electric box in the motorhome. Below is a picture of the converter.

[image]

Below is a picture of what I think is a capacitor that exploded when the power was connected.

[image]

Any ideas on why the breaker tripped, what could be wrong with the wiring and what I need to do to fix the converter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

God Bless,
Kevin & Tracy
2003 Holiday Rambler VacationerMy Blog

kaydeejay

SE Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any chance he wired that 30A outlet as 240 volt instead of 120??? Common mistake.
Your converter may be fried. I hope the fridge, TV, Microwave and any other 120V appliances were not plugged in at the time.

Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/12 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your neighbor/shade tree electrician hooked you up to 240 volts!! RV's use 30 amp 120 volt systems.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/12 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well you better hope it is just the converter.
Did he hook you up to two breakers at the main panel (240v)?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

oldtrucker63

Harlan Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/12 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That capacitor may have saved everything, Replace that one capacitor and run a 30 amp instead of high voltage and everything should be fine,
FINGERS CROSSED.....

Without Trucks,....America Stop's

kcgaz

Scottsdale, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kaydeejay wrote:

Any chance he wired that 30A outlet as 240 volt instead of 120??? Common mistake.
Your converter may be fried. I hope the fridge, TV, Microwave and any other 120V appliances were not plugged in at the time.

You are absolutely correct, he said that it was testing out at 240 volts when he hooked it up. Everything was hooked up as normal, can I test the microwave and fridge using the generator prior to having the converter replaced to make sure that they did not get damaged? Thanks for your help.

oldtrucker63

Harlan Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/12 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also this guy should pay for the repair because he hooked you up to 240 volts and not 30 amp 120 volts.....[emoticon]

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/12 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Yes, you can test them all, provided the 12 volt battery is charged. Just use an adapter to an ordinary house hold outlet.

BTW this is a common mistake that even electricians make.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/12 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is one step that was likely missed. Flip the breaker and check the voltage with a meter before plugging anything in. This should be done after installing any new outlet.

You can still check it the outlet.

By the way, yes that is a capacitor (electrolytic). When they let go it can sound like a firecracker.

Look at the bright side. This could be your excuse to upgrade to a Progressive Dynamics converter (I presume you still has the OE battery boiler).

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

kcgaz

Scottsdale, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/12 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Yes, you can test them all, provided the 12 volt battery is charged. Just use an adapter to an ordinary house hold outlet.

Whenever I hook up any power to the MH the converter smokes, can I bypass it to test the appliances by running them off of the generator? My neighbor feels terrible and is willing to pay for repairs, he and I both have learned a valuable, but I hope, not expensive lesson.

Thanks for the quick responses.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Smoked The Converter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS