RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do You Use Premium Gas When Towing ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Do You Use Premium Gas When Towing ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dug out the owners manual and one page says that all Dodge trucks require 87 octane fuel. Another page says to use 89 octane mid-grade fuel in the 5.7L Hemi for maximum performance and milage. At worst, I'm wasting the difference in price between mid-grade and premium. Some stations don't even carry mid-grade.

* This post was edited 05/06/12 06:38am by Water-Bug *

eye8Ubutler

Maritime Provinces

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/12 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my travels with my TV....

I have noticed that if I use a higher octane gasoline, my truck manages...to go up even steeper hills in top gear!

I have also noticed that fuel injector cleaner additives added to the gas tank correctly, have the same effect.

I use regular but treat myself to Shell's highest octane (no ethanol in that) when ever I come across it.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 2007 (new shape)
4x4 Crew Cab VORTEC MAX (L76) 6.0L V8 4L70E 4.10 axle
factory NHT Max Trailering Package.
2010 Coachmen Freedom Express 280 RLS

"...a Waldorf Salad?, sorry we are fresh out of Waldorfs!".......BASIL FAWLTY.

Hybridhunter

At home

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/12 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A short story about towing across Nevada with a Tacoma....
I was towing a pop-up across Nevada and I was in a hurry, but at "higher speeds" the truck would run 3100 in 4th (9mpg), and would only pull 5th @ 2400rpm (10mpg) for brief periods, then back to 4th. I recalled reading in the manual that "for maximum performance" use Premium Fuel. We were running low on fuel every 2 hours or so, so I put a tank full of 94 octane. I pulled back out on the highway, AC still on, nothing changed other than 150# of fuel on board, and it locked on to 5th gear, and never hunted for the entire tank of fuel. Mileage was up just over 1 mpg average with the lower rpm / better fuel.
Long story short, in a high load, high heat situation, it was worth it; because the vehicle was probably running "on the knock sensor".

Kevin O.

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run only 93 in my F150 Ecoboost only because the owners manual says they recommend using it for better performance and towing. Must be because of the turbos?? The extra $6.00 a fill up for 93 octane is worth my piece of mind.

KEVIN
DW-Debbie
DS-Tyler 9yrs old
DD-Makayla 6yrs old
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH

E&J push'n wind

San Diego CA, The best climate on earth!

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The question seems to be Super vs. Regular gasoline when towing?

I'm no expert in this area, perhaps ExRocket Scientist or DiaperDude (sounds like a new dad) can jump in here but the botique gasoline we all buy could be the determining factor possibly.

Take a look at this link speaking about botique gasoline. This may go political but it is certainly not the intent. More rather to inform what many of us are ignorant about. I certainly was until I read this. It explanes a lot!

My wife and I were having a conversation about gas prices here in San Diego being close to the highest in the nation, that's when I found the above link/article. I thought the reason for the high prices was because of the fact that in CA, gas can only be produced and sold in state and none can be "imported" from say AZ, NV, or UT or anywhere else. The afore mentioned article explanes the why.

Seems to me.., if you eliminate the boozed up gas and ran purely gasoline only, you'd go a lot farther on a tank of gas as the energy in that gallon would go up significantly.

But back to the question the OP is seeking as it pertains to this botique gas. I wonder if it would be a necessary factor with todays modern engines to even need the different grades of gasoline if gas wasn't "botique" and pumped up with alcahol and all of the other additives? I wonder..?

* This post was edited 05/05/12 09:10pm by E&J push'n wind *

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Seamutt

Prince George BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/12 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"(NOTE: That Aviation gasoline is no longer available, it had WAY too much Tetra-Ethyl Lead in it!)"

not true, 115/145 avgas is no longer available, 100 LL. low lead is used now. Unleaded avgas is under research.

2007 Okanagan 26 RLS Dual 6v.
2001 Chev. 8.1 L 4X4

wmoses

Houston, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/12 03:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading the handful (or thereabouts) of exact responses to the OP's original question regarding whether or not gains in power and mileage experienced while towing - if any - are significant enough to justify the extra cost of the premium gasoline (while towing), I can only conclude that -

1. It is quite possible, and
2. I need to get of my butt and do the test myself.

The few respondents with real-world experience based on their actual tests seem to suggest that it is worth the cost.

In my case I have a tuner with two programs related to octane. I have set it at "Regular" ever since getting the tuner and never did the test to see what happens under the "Premium" program using 93 octane fuel - towing or not. I fully expect to have more power, and with a lighter RV that is the secondary issue for me. I am more interested to see if my mileage justifies the extra cost.

I will post the results when I get them.

Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/12 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd love to see the District Attorney try to PROVE that your vehicle didn't require premium fuel. A tuner chip would probably be a lot cheaper than the fine.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevin O. wrote:

I run only 93 in my F150 Ecoboost only because the owners manual says they recommend using it for better performance and towing. Must be because of the turbos?? The extra $6.00 a fill up for 93 octane is worth my piece of mind.

Higher compression, has nothing to do with the turbo's or DI. I get better performance but very little mileage increase while heavy towing with the EB on premium (93). The engine just seems happier. But run regular (87) when not hitched up. No gains with 93 without a load and just a waste of $$$. It does help it run like a bat out of h3ll but a 3 ton hunk of steel shouldn't be doing that
That piece of mind does have a value so whatever makes you happy
YMMV

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 1500 2857

DustyR

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beergardens wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

Water-Bug writes "Do you use premium gas when towing ?"

This is one of those things that each and every engine may be different so you need to test it yourself and determine if the additional cost per gallon and potential...

Correct! Modern day engines like the 5.4 actually will automatically detect "pinging" (IE predetonation) and adjust the timing and fuel delivery. This results in the most power and fuel economy possible with the lowest grade of gasoline..

I really don't think a lot of people understand what the OP is trying to express. As noted above, most engines detect pinging and adjust timing and fuel delivery to prevent it. These engines are programmed to run a great deal of timing, which it will retard if pinging is detected. As soon as it removes that timing, mileage and performance both suffer. Therefore, the further your fuel can resist preigniting, the more timing advance your engine can run, and the better your performance and mileage will be. Naturally, some engines are way more sensitive to this than others. Some are right on the verge of pinging under extreme conditions, some aren't.

I have a 08 Tundra 4.7L and tow a Dutchmen Denali 270FK my gross vehicle weight with me in it is 15,000 pds. The gross weight that the Tundra is design to pull is 8100 pds and I am 500 pds or so under that.

I usually tow light but this weight was after being a 'sno bird' for 3+ months and vehicles were loaded to the max. I intend to get a light weight of the the two vehicles to see how much I have stripped from them.

I towed from Florida to West Virginia and when I started up I-95 with a tank of 87 octane & I was running a lot of 3rd gear on every grade. The next tank I purchased I filled with 89 octane and much of the lower gear use went away. I believe as been said by several here that I was running on the knock sensor and that the higher octane reduced the engine de-tuning.

Fuel Mileage for the trip 8.0

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Do You Use Premium Gas When Towing ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS