RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: porpoising????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> porpoising????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rode2nowhere

southern indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So lets see, i was wrong and my receiver is round which makes it a weak and overloaded design, i need a heavier equalizer hitch, and new shocks and a new class v receiver hitch,,,,,dam!

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/12 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rode2nowhere wrote:

So lets see, i was wrong and my receiver is round which makes it a weak and overloaded design, i need a heavier equalizer hitch, and new shocks and a new class v receiver hitch,,,,,dam!

I would not say you were wrong. You need to visit your local CAT scale or equal and get some real world weights with your current setup. Guessing and and spending money on things you may not need will not solve your problem. The trip to the scales should cost less than $20 if you do all the weighing the same afternoon. You need to weigh the truck. Weight the truck and trailer with and without the WD active. Make sure you get a number for each axle. A CAT scale will do three axles at a time. When in the final towing configuration I would recommend getting a weight on each trailer axle.

Wes Tausend

Bismarck, ND

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The WD bars may be too light. You may be able to install heavier bars in the same hitch. While installing more washers to tilt the hitch head back will give you more initial tension, weak bars, with a heavier weight, will bend more like an old Buick suspension.

The extra bar travel has no damping (shock absorbers) like the truck springs and allows excessive movement. Stiffer WD springs will keep the WD travel to a minimum and make the truck springs do the work. At least they are damped if your shocks are functional yet.

Wes

Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2000 Excursion V-10 - 2000 F-250 CC 7.3L V-8
- 2004 Cougar Keystone M-294 RLS, 6140# tare
- Hensley Arrow - Champion 4000w/3500w gen
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

rode2nowhere

southern indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just an update, redid my equalizer hitch setup, it was off. But still bounces on dips, front of trailer and rear of truck bounce up and down pretty good. Also my equalizer is 10,000 lb., not 6000 like i thought,...now good shocks, new tires, and a 15000 lb curt hitch are in order....

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had my WD loose (longer chain under tension), the truck and trailer tended to do that, tightened up it did it less. I would do the shocks and hitch, then see if that fixes it before getting tires. Not all tires are created equal, some make towing better, some worse.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 11:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rode2nowhere wrote:

Just an update, redid my equalizer hitch setup, it was off. But still bounces on dips, front of trailer and rear of truck bounce up and down pretty good. Also my equalizer is 10,000 lb., not 6000 like i thought,...now good shocks, new tires, and a 15000 lb curt hitch are in order....

Please keep this thread posted on how the new, traditional receiver
does.

The OEM GMT800 (your era pickup truck) receiver is a bad design, IMHO

It depends on transferring much of the WD Bar forces via the bumper,
why it is bolted to the bottom of the bumper...if your's is that era
receiver

Most have reported this and other ills of that GM receiver design
goes away after their switch to a traditional designed receiver

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

rode2nowhere

southern indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/12 04:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fyi tires are worn out and due for replacement.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tires won't cause porpoising.

Your problem is you don't have enough "spring action" at the joint between the truck and trailer. Classic signs of the factory receiver being overloaded and/or flexing.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

babar445

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would bet you will see a big difference when you change out the reciever, I did on mine just about a week ago. My old hitch was clean, no rust, no cracks, but I could see it flex quite a bit when I pulled the bars up. The realization came when I was on my back under the truck zipping out the bolts with my impact wrench with one hand and holding the reciever with the other. When I took out the last bolt I had no problem laying the whole reciever over to the side with my one free arm. I'd say it must weigh somewhere in the mid 30lb range, and to think I've been towing TW of about 1150 lbs, no wonder it would porpose on the un-even roads. I was well with-in its labled weight range, I just dont know how it held up as well as it did after getting it off and looking over it. I had to use the floor jack to hold the Draw Tite hitch up there until I got the bolts started. It weighs nearly 70lbs, almost twice the weight of the OEM hitch!

rode2nowhere

southern indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we will see....what hitch did you get?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> porpoising????
Search:   Advanced Search