RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Cassette Toilets?????????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cassette Toilets?????????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/12 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On last summers European trip we rented a German motorhome with a cassette toilet.
We sure got tired of the darn thing after 6 weeks.
Always close the toilet lid when flushing as without warning it will burp in your eye.
Dumping and cleaning the poop tank every day gets old quick. It's not a pleasant task.
Many Europeans always use the RV park's toilets so they don't have to use their RV's cassette toilet.

Oh how we yearned for the regular RV toilet in our Lance.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

d3500ram

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/12 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of Stuff wrote:

...Always close the toilet lid when flushing as without warning it will burp in your eye....

LOL! ... takes only one time to learn that lesson that this particular component has a certain operational procedures

Nutbolt

Greensboro, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/12 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of Stuff wrote:

On last summers European trip we rented a German motorhome with a cassette toilet.
We sure got tired of the darn thing after 6 weeks.
Dumping and cleaning the poop tank every day gets old quick. It's not a pleasant task.
Many Europeans always use the RV park's toilets so they don't have to use their RV's cassette toilet.

Oh how we yearned for the regular RV toilet in our Lance.

Good advice...and NEVER NEVER EVER pee in it before opening the blade valve after going over an 11,000 foot mountain pass!!!! Doesn't take but one time to learn that lesson...

Other than the occasional air pressure surprise...I love it. Can dump it anywhere and as long as you dont let it get completely full its not hard to handle. And when you are set up soomewhere for a week or more you dont have to break camp to go dump.

I travel solo and stay in national parks/forest campgrounds for the most part. Use their toilets except at night after I have gone to bed. I can go a good week to 9 days before I have to empty it.

I have no issues with it...

nutbolt

2005 GMC 2500HD LTS with all the goodies!!!
2005 Northstar 8.5 Arrow - fully loaded
(The Turtle at the bottom of the Grand Canyon)

Boatycall

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dagwood_55 wrote:

Its almost new, except the pump on the cass toilet runs, but gurgles and does'nt pump.

Oh you should upgrade that. They haven't used cassettes in years. Those got replaced by CD's, then those were replaced by ipods.

Could you imagine if Apple made Ipod toilets! Adds a whole new meaning to a download! ;-))

01 F350 DRW 4x4, Torklift Tie downs & Stableloads,SuperHitch,F550 Rear Suspension,Roadmaster F & R Sway Bars,Rancho 9000s,Jasper MonsterBox Tranny
2012 Eagle Cap 1160-Six 140Ah AGM Batts,Prosine 2.0 2kw Inverter,100a truck charging circuit, Dish Tailgator

Steve_in_29

29 Palms (SEMPER FI), CA 92277

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of Stuff wrote:

....Dumping and cleaning the poop tank every day gets old quick. It's not a pleasant task. ....
EVERY day?? Maybe you should look into changing your diet. LOL

With careful use my wife and I can go the better part of a week before we need to dump. If we are boondocking (the REAL kind ...not walmart) we can go about 10 days if I pee on the bushes.

2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Steve_in_29

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

Sounds like the tank is empty

X2

Steve_in_29

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dagwood_55 wrote:

I've found a pop up truck camper for sell that I'm interested in. Its almost new, except the pump on the cass toilet runs, but gurgles and does'nt pump.

Now I know absolutly nothing about these new cassette tolets. Does this sound like a deal breaker?? Exactly how do they work? Do they unload from the outside??

CT'sound like the way to go in a TC, but what is their downfall, what are their Cons??
What brand of pop-up? Brand/type of cassette toilet? "Cassette" can be applied to those porta-potie types all the way up to the full sized toilets in high end campers.

There should be an access door on the outside of the camper to allow removal of the tank. If it is a bowl-type toilet the door will be on whichever wall your back is to while in use. If it is the bench-type then it will be on whichever end of the bench abuts an exterior wall.

I can actually dump my cassette quicker then I could get the hose out and hooked up to any of my previous RVs holding tanks. I find it to be a CLEANER, self-contained operation then the slinky hose on a holding tank. Uses MUCH less water as well and with the ease of frequent dumping you can even fore go holding tank chemicals if you feel like it.

Cassette toilets are not new and in fact are the industry standard on all European/Australian RVs and even on some pretty high-end American ones as well.

Some models of cassette toilets can even be plumbed into the camper's water system (like I did) to avoid the need to fill the flush tank. Though that does require CAREFUL monitoring to avoid over filling the waste tank.

Steve_in_29

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boatycall wrote:

Dagwood_55 wrote:

Its almost new, except the pump on the cass toilet runs, but gurgles and does'nt pump.

Oh you should upgrade that. They haven't used cassettes in years. Those got replaced by CD's, then those were replaced by ipods.

Could you imagine if Apple made Ipod toilets! Adds a whole new meaning to a download! ;-))
Now that's funny

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cassette Toilets?????????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS