RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Forgot to close tank valves

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Forgot to close tank valves

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Here'n'There

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/11/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....and don't forget to clean under your fingernails! Otherwise have a nice day!


Here'n'There
2009 Carri-Lite 36SBQ 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel Dually
On the road with Here'n'There
Role of the C133 in Viet Nam

CaFordGuy

San Jose

New Member

Joined: 11/23/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/12 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only real precaution is that you should avoid drinking the gray tank water, at least for awhile.

K3WE

Missouri

Senior Member

Joined: 05/24/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:


I think the concern is with the gray tanks that don't normally hold poo and yet have a direct pipe that leads to your sinks and shower. Leaving the valves open means the poo flowed into those tanks. I'd probably do some sterilization on my grey tank too if I had done that.


So, that's a really invalid concern.

If you have a basement, go look under your bathroom. The "poop pipe" and the "sink pipe" and the "bathtub pipe" all merge right there, very close to each other.

Or what about a septic tank- the kitch sink pipe and the poop pipe run right together and go out to the same single tank.

Also, whether it's a camper, or a house, there are P-traps to prevent nasty odors (from poop OR nasty soapy water) from coming back up to your sink or shower.

And again, what makes you think that your grey tank is any less germy than your black tank. Body oils, food particles, and soap residue can ferment into some fist class nasty 'toxic' waste!

Wildcat63

MN

Senior Member

Joined: 07/09/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CaFordGuy wrote:

The only real precaution is that you should avoid drinking the gray tank water, at least for awhile.


Uhm why would you ever consider drinking your grey water????

just curious


Wildcat63
07 Coachmen Clipper Classic 1070ST
02 Explorer 4.6 V8 TV

Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Online
Posted: 05/11/12 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K3WE wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:


I think the concern is with the gray tanks that don't normally hold poo and yet have a direct pipe that leads to your sinks and shower. Leaving the valves open means the poo flowed into those tanks. I'd probably do some sterilization on my grey tank too if I had done that.


So, that's a really invalid concern.

If you have a basement, go look under your bathroom. The "poop pipe" and the "sink pipe" and the "bathtub pipe" all merge right there, very close to each other.

Or what about a septic tank- the kitch sink pipe and the poop pipe run right together and go out to the same single tank.

Also, whether it's a camper, or a house, there are P-traps to prevent nasty odors (from poop OR nasty soapy water) from coming back up to your sink or shower.

And again, what makes you think that your grey tank is any less germy than your black tank. Body oils, food particles, and soap residue can ferment into some fist class nasty 'toxic' waste!

Exactly K3WE. It's not like the gray tank is clean and the black tank is not! They are ALL waste tanks!


~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~


"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"


JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/11/12 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wildcat63 wrote:

CaFordGuy wrote:

The only real precaution is that you should avoid drinking the gray tank water, at least for awhile.


Uhm why would you ever consider drinking your grey water????

just curious


I think he was interjecting a bit of humor.

msmith1199

Central, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/12/12 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K3WE wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:


I think the concern is with the gray tanks that don't normally hold poo and yet have a direct pipe that leads to your sinks and shower. Leaving the valves open means the poo flowed into those tanks. I'd probably do some sterilization on my grey tank too if I had done that.


So, that's a really invalid concern.

If you have a basement, go look under your bathroom. The "poop pipe" and the "sink pipe" and the "bathtub pipe" all merge right there, very close to each other.

Or what about a septic tank- the kitch sink pipe and the poop pipe run right together and go out to the same single tank.

Also, whether it's a camper, or a house, there are P-traps to prevent nasty odors (from poop OR nasty soapy water) from coming back up to your sink or shower.

And again, what makes you think that your grey tank is any less germy than your black tank. Body oils, food particles, and soap residue can ferment into some fist class nasty 'toxic' waste!


So if I were to sterilize my gray tank is it your opinion the world would come to an end or something? Why the big deal over this?


2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4


msmith1199

Central, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/13/12 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K3WE wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

So if I were to sterilize my gray tank is it your opinion the world would come to an end or something? Why the big deal over this?


Let's be clear here. You said it's a concern and that you would probably sterilize your grey tank if black water got in there.

I said that plenty of bacteria, rotting processes, nasty smells and germs form in grey water.

Where does "the end of the world" come into this?

People need to know facts (that even a poop-free grey tank is anything but sterile), and not an emotional thought process that black water getting in the grey tank calls for it to be sterilized.


Because I said "I" would do it and you made it seem as if it was the worst thing in the world. I put chemicals into my black tank to control the smell and help kill germs but I don't put anything in my gray tank other than once a year. So if black tank stuff got in there I would probably do something about it. I just don't understand the concern by so many not to want to make sure stuff is clean.

K3WE

Missouri

Senior Member

Joined: 05/24/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/13/12 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

So if I were to sterilize my gray tank is it your opinion the world would come to an end or something? Why the big deal over this?


Let's be clear here. You said it's a concern and that you would probably sterilize your grey tank if black water got in there.

I said that plenty of bacteria, rotting processes, nasty smells and germs form in grey water.

Where does "the end of the world" come into this?

People need to know facts (that even a poop-free grey tank is anything but sterile), and not an emotional thought process that black water getting in the grey tank calls for it to be sterilized.

Dutch_12078

Currently at Gilbert Lake SP, Laurens, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/12/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Forgot to close tank valves
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS