RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Would you tow with this veichle?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would you tow with this veichle?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/12 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

are surge brakes common in Canada? the U.S. 1007's have electric brakes.
i don't know of any 25' and under RV trailers made anymore, in the U.S., with surge brakes.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Dreamsbride

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

are surge brakes common in Canada? the U.S. 1007's have electric brakes.

http://www.voyagerrv.ca/rv-detail.php?id=2290
Honestly I don't know that answer..I do know that if you look at the link above they 2012 10ft and 8ft both have electric brakes. I have also seen them sell the 1007 with electric as well. Is one really that much better then the other?

Caddywhompus

Southeast WI

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ironically, you would have been far better off spending some money upgrading the minivan. The Liberty has less power, less torque, bigger tires, worse suspension, worse brakes and a lot less stability. You fell for the classic mis-truth, and these guys on the forum telling you the Jeep will be better than the minivan are doing you no favors. Just because it's an SUV, and designed to do well off-road, does NOT MAKE IT A TOW VEHICLE.

• '11 Ford Expedition XL 5.4L (Primary tow vehicle)
  • '04 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L (Backup tow vehicle
  • '04 Ford Freestar SES 3.9L (another Backup tow vehicle)
  • '97 Lincoln Mark VIII 32v 4.6L (another Backup tow vehicle)
  • '95 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L (final Backup)

Dreamsbride

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caddywhompus wrote:

Ironically, you would have been far better off spending some money upgrading the minivan. The Liberty has less power, less torque, bigger tires, worse suspension, worse brakes and a lot less stability. You fell for the classic mis-truth, and these guys on the forum telling you the Jeep will be better than the minivan are doing you no favors. Just because it's an SUV, and designed to do well off-road, does NOT MAKE IT A TOW VEHICLE.

The max the van could have towed would have been 3500 at the most...I spoke with one of the best transmission men in the City and was told that no matter what, towing with our van in the Okanagan was just asking for trouble.wouldn't matter what else we did to it ..Thus the search for the new TV..The Liberty is 5000 lb capacity..bit bigger engine and already has the tranny cooler etc.
Perhaps you are right maybe our decision may have been hasty and incorrect.and we were mislead by the people we were hoping would help us make a wise choice..however now we need the best advise to make the best of what we have. That's why I have come here to the people who have the experience towing a unit such as our pop up. We are in the process getting it ready to go and good advise is always an asset.

bmanning

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caddywhompus wrote:

and one final

I suppose "these guys" also include the engineers who designed & built the vehicles, the same ones that rated the van @ 3500lb and the Liberty @ 5000lb.

* This post was edited 05/11/12 04:21pm by bmanning *

BManning
baking in Phoenix
-2008 F250 XLT 4x4/CC/SB
5.4L 300/365 V8 Torqshift 4.30AAM
9400lb GVW 11200lb tow
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow

Dreamsbride

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now I'm getting the impression now that not only is my choice in a TV incorrect Now am I correct in assuming our choice in the pop up is incorrect as well because it has surge breaks?

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/12 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i wouldn't say that anythings wrong because it has surge brakes.

just haven't seen them in the U.S., except on older trailers.
maybe Canada has rules for brakes, that are different than the U.S.

Krusty

Calgary, Alberta,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remember that if you ask 10 different people a question, you will get 10 different opinions. Best thing to do is go hook up the trailer and take it for a spin. See how it pulls and see how it stops. Then you will be able to form your own opinion, and not have to worry about what other people think.

Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

bmanning

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Krusty wrote:

Just remember that if you ask 10 different people a question, you will get 10 different opinions. Best thing to do is go hook up the trailer and take it for a spin. See how it pulls and see how it stops. Then you will be able to form your own opinion, and not have to worry about what other people think.

This

Nels&Connie

Blaine MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your liberty will do just fine towing a 10 foot popup, and it will have no issues towing at the posted speed limit. I would find an empty parking lot to try braking at different speeds. The rear springs on your KJ are progressive so the ride can be a little rough
depending on the road and how loaded down you are. Low range is great for walking your camper into a tight campsite.

And I did not see one minivan when we drove the white rim trail.
Google LOSTjeeps for a little more info on your Jeep.

04 SunSeeker 2890

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Would you tow with this veichle?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS