|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> battery charging aliner

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
reonardo

calif

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/12 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all-
Just picked up an Aliner used and have some questions about charging the battery while at home. If I plug in to an outlet to allow the battery to charge, do I have to press the 120v button to 'on' while doing this, or do i just leave it off and the battery will charge? Thank you!

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/12 05:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not familar with the Aliner 120V "on" button but the idea is to power up your on-board Converter/Charger unit so it can charge your battery. One way to test would be use a multimeter and measure across the battery terminals after you have hooked up to 120VAC from the house/garage 120VAC Receptacle and read the DC voltage at the battery terminals. If the DC voltage is reading 13.6VDC then the Aliner Converter/charger is operating. The battery will read around 12.6VDC or lower when it is not being charged.

There is another item we always check when charging batteries at home and that is keep a close eye on the battery fluids. We have a smart-mode on board converter/charger unit now but prior to getting one installed the battery fluids would boil down pretty fast. We would check these fluids at least every week then. If the battery fluids boil down it will destroy your batteries over time.

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 06:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was also duplicate posted in the TT forums. As a former Aliner owner, I posted a reply there.

ERS

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/12 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ERS - I just noticed that too when I viewing his posts - I sent him PM also. Doesnt look like he is getting any responses. I will look up your response - I never heard about the 120VAC and 12VDC "ON" button before..

JoeRT04

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

reonardo wrote:

Hi all-
Just picked up an Aliner used and have some questions about charging the battery while at home. If I plug in to an outlet to allow the battery to charge, do I have to press the 120v button to 'on' while doing this, or do i just leave it off and the battery will charge? Thank you!

Welcome to RV.net.

It is helpful to include the year and model of your Aliner (in your signature or message) so we can better help you. Each year and model are different in many ways. I have a new 2012 Aliner Sport. There's no electric control 120 or 12V button anywhere on or inside the rig.

But, I do know that if I plug into my house or a campground electric, the converter charges the battery automatically. No needing to push any buttons. Also, when I plug into the tow car harness connection, the same applies.

Can you post a picture of your button(s) you're describing? It could be an after market addition to your Aliner because to my best knowledge, there is no such button included on Aliners. I wish mine had one so I could prevent long term battery drain. I've read the supplied Aliner manual. There's no such button included on my Aliner.

Just to be clear, I have a 3 way fridge with the 12V, 120 buttons (switches actually) inside the reefer vent cover (along with the propane igniter). Those switches have nothing to do with charging the battery.

2011 KZ Durango 1500 D295CS 32 FT Fifth Wheel

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I answered you in the other thread where you asked the same question. Here it is;
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26038603.cfm

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

reonardo

calif

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the responses!
Joe, yes, I'm referring to the switches inside the vent cover. Just to clarify, when charging the battery at home I don't need to turn the 120 switch on? How about, when traveling down the road with my fridge on? I do need to switch the 12v button on, correct? Thanks again!

JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/12 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't recommend operating the fridge on 12V at all. The fridge will drain a battery pretty fast, even with the so-called "charge line" coming from the tow vehicle. As commonly stated, the conductors for the charge line are pretty small and can't carry that much electrical current, therefore the remaining current is made up by the battery.

Most, if not all, on this forum will recommend pre-cooling the fridge on 120Vac or propane first (I usually pre-cool it for several days), then loading it with pre-cooled/frozen items at home. Leave it off when traveling unless temperatures are really hot (100+). Then you can turn it back on once you set camp. So far, I've not had any problems keeping food & drinks cold this way.

If you are traveling with only a partial load in the fridge, include some frozen water bottles or ice packs. This provides more cold mass in the fridge to help it stay cold longer, plus the water bottles provide nice cold drink when you're all set up.

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

reonardo

calif

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahh, must be why my battery power doesn't last long at the campsite after having traveled down the road with the 12v switch on!

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/12 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were me, I would have designed my three-way fridge as a two-way: LP and 120 V a/c. In five seasons, I've not used 12 v as a power source for my fridge.

Well, as I think about it, since I swapped out PUPs this year, the bigger unit has a controller board, which obviously needs 12v to run, but not to power the cooling, is specifically what I mean.

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> battery charging aliner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS