Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Toyo Tires

Posted By: farmer_boots on 05/10/12 03:02am

I know we all talk about tires a lot, maybe because of the cost. In any case I am replacing my 7 year old G670's with Toyo M154 295 75R22.5 16 ply. Plan to order them today @$495 each. I plan to keep the old ones and either sell them or use them for a drag on the farm. Searching this forum I was surprised and pleased not to find anything bad about the Toyo tires but it looked like most of the sizes everyone was talking about is smaller than the 295. Anyone use or have input on the 295's?

2006 Monaco Diplomat

Posted By: jackandh2o on 05/10/12 05:55am

Put a set of Toyo hiways on the TV about 9 months, and 7,000 miles ago. So far so good, but obviously a little early to tell.

Ray

* This post was edited 05/20/12 11:26pm by jackandh2o *

Posted By: slemnah on 05/10/12 06:21am

I purchased my 97 Imperial with Toyo tires on it and have over 8,000 miles on them and they show no wear, rivering or any other problems. I just make sure they have enough air in them.

Posted By: JetAonly on 05/10/12 06:25am

I have Toyo 295/75 22.5 in load range G, they are M144/144L. I have about 12000 miles since new. They appear as if they will age out long before they wear out. They do seem to have a firm ride, although to meet the load requirements I have to keep them inflated to 105psi front and 100psi rear. Their max inflation is 110psi. I have considered replacing the fronts with a higher load range tire for a bettor ride. This MH has the bilstein performance shock so I am unsure if there is much benefit to be had. My plan is to replace the steers at about 3-4 years anyway so we will see what happens.

2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

Posted By: Larry Cohen on 05/10/12 06:02am

I have been looking for a replacement brand for my Michelin XRV 305 70 22.5 load range L and cannot seem to find an equivalent tire in another brand....I will be needing 8 in the next few months
If any one has suggestions for a less expensive load range L tire, I'm all ears!!!

2006 Mountain Aire 43
Short haired wife, long haired daschund and 3 sugar gliders are co-pilots, along with Garmin Nuvi 855
05 Honda Pilot with Air Force One supplemental brake
Blue Ox Aventa II towbar
Whirlpool Residential Fridge !!!

Posted By: enblethen on 05/10/12 08:14am

Larry Cohen:
You can change to a different size and profile. Go to a true tire store for size comparison.
I have had TOYOs for many years and have excellent usage from them.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

Posted By: chipndip on 05/10/12 08:21am

I've had the M154's in that size for over a year and have been very pleased with them.

Posted By: doc brown on 05/10/12 08:18am

Got em! Replaced the original Toyo's about three years ago and used the 154's to replace them. Since this is my first MH and I've only used Toyo's I can't compare to other brands. Most owners I know use Mich's or Goodyear and they have many complaints. I'm fine with the Toyo's.

Steve,Kathy,Josh & Morpheus the Basenji
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2008 Wrangler X Rubicon/Blue OX Tow Bar/Ready Brake

Posted By: barnaclebill on 05/10/12 11:05am

Please do not just compare size (Like 295/80 to a 295/75) as the weight rating is way different. My 295/80R22.5 load range H is 6670# and a 295/75R22.5 load range H is 6110# on the Toyo M154. Looks close in size but not in weight capacity.

2003 41' Newmar Mountain Aire
400 Cummins
Jeep Liberty
Blue Ox Brake Buddy

Posted By: Larry Cohen on 05/10/12 11:30am

"Please do not just compare size (Like 295/80 to a 295/75) as the weight rating is way different. My 295/80R22.5 load range H is 6670# and a 295/75R22.5 load range H is 6110# on the Toyo M154. Looks close in size but not in weight capacity."

That's the problem I'm having...Load range L for my tire is about 7300+ pounds..I don't think I should cut that CC by very much!

Posted By: barnaclebill on 05/10/12 11:47am

Sorry for any confusion, I punched in the wrong numbers, should be 7830# for my tires.

Posted By: David0725 on 05/10/12 01:22pm

Framer boots! I just got a set of toyo not that far from you!! out the door for $2300. installed. you can drive there and have them put on. the local rv dealers use them cuz there about $80 less per tire.I got them from Crawford tire in Ocoee.407-656-4575

1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad

Posted By: haroldhansen on 05/10/12 10:02pm

I replaced the 11 year old Michelin tires on my 2000 Holiday Rambler last year with the Toyo 154s and noticed a change in my handling and tracking. Thinking it was new tires vs old tires, I took it to a shop and they pronounced the suspension as ok and suggested toeing in the tires 1/16" and that helped but the darting and jumping still made driving testy. After reading about a number of others who experienced the same problem with the Toyos, I took them back and put on new Michelins. Problem solved. The tire shop said they had replaced 2 other sets of Toyos on motorhomes because of handling issues. The Toyo has a stiffer side wall, because it is a truck tire, than the Michelin and thus handles differently. I am a fan of Toyos as I have them on 2 of my cars but this is not a tire made for motorhomes. I am sure the handling may not be noticeable on some MHs but on mine it was. Yes, there is a big difference is price that has to be considered. If you are a member of FMCA, you can purchase the Michelins through a program they offer. I saved $600 off the best price I could get without it which made the price difference from the Toyos much more competitive.

Posted By: randco on 05/11/12 03:36am

I replaced Michelin's with Toyo 295 75-22.5's in February of 2011. The tires run great and the ride is superb.

Posted By: farmer_boots on 05/11/12 05:23am

The tire store called me yesterday and asked for a deposit on the tires before they ordered. I asked why. The answer is the 297 75 22.5 is what they consider a low profile tire. I think it's about 1 inch smaller than a non low profile tire. I say that because an 11R22.5 is considered a truck tire and it's 1 inch larger than the other. In any case they don't normally stock the low profile tires and if something happened to me they would be stuck with the return and restocking fees. I am ok with all the charges but I thought by switching to the 295 tire I was getting into a more popular tier and thus would save money. On the other hand if the 11R22.5 is a more popular tire then maybe I should get that one. I checked the clearance and there is plenty of room for the larger tire.

Any Thoughts?

Posted By: farmer_boots on 05/11/12 07:02am

Just found out the 11R's would cost more than the 295 75's so I ordered the 295's.

Posted By: Jarlaxle on 05/12/12 05:11am

295/75R22.5 is a common truck size. Many OTR trucks run that size, as do a vast number of local trucks. (Offhand, Ryder uses that size on their large box trucks & semi tractors!)

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Posted By: farmer_boots on 05/12/12 05:39am

Good maybe I sell my old tires to a trucker for his trailer.

Posted By: Jarlaxle on 05/12/12 10:19am

Could be...some dump trucks also use them on their drop axles.

Posted By: Sully2 on 05/12/12 01:13pm

Larry Cohen wrote:

"Please do not just compare size (Like 295/80 to a 295/75) as the weight rating is way different. My 295/80R22.5 load range H is 6670# and a 295/75R22.5 load range H is 6110# on the Toyo M154. Looks close in size but not in weight capacity."

That's the problem I'm having...Load range L for my tire is about 7300+ pounds..I don't think I should cut that CC by very much!

Toyo M111Z...Max load single is 7390 lbs...duals = 6780 each

their 315-80 size handles 9090 lbs per tire

How much weight you got on that front axle Larry???

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

Posted By: 69gp on 05/12/12 03:10pm

I use Toyo tires on all my medium and light duty trucks. You can get a good deal on them at Town Fair Tire. The trucks are off the road and I get over 50,000 miles on them. Good tire for the money.

Steve B
4100 lb 8.872@ 156 MPH naturally aspirated
Square peg in a round hole is the way to go

Posted By: farmer_boots on 05/13/12 04:24am

Larry

I am not sure the tire you are talking about would fit the wheel well. In any case I am running about 11200lb on the front and right at 20000lb on the back. The 297 75's I ordered are load range "H" (16 ply). The tire guy was telling me they put a lot of 14 ply tires on motor homes. I think he said they run cooler at max load and softer ride. I like the little extra margin I get with the 16 ply and the load rating is within a few hundred pounds of the OEM stuff.

As they say the fat is in the fire now because I have already ordered the 295 tire. Should be here next week. Looking forward to 6 round and balanced tires.

Posted By: farmer_boots on 05/18/12 04:20pm

Well I got the tires today (295/75R 22.5 H). Had to drive about 100 miles round trip to get them. I ended up with 6 tires out the door for about $520 each. What a place, there is a guard shack at the entrance to the place. I guess he must have call the tire people and told them I was coming because when I got there two mobile trucks were waiting. Before I could get out of the camper they had jacks under the rear axle and wheels off the ground. It took them right at 30 minutes to change all 6 tires. Talking to them I could have had them come to the house for about $70. I spend nominally $54 in just fuel so for another $16 I could have stayed home. But I like driving the camper so it was a fun afternoon.

They used something call Liquid Balance. It looked like a quart of some type of liquid they put in the tire. It somehow compensates for any imbalances. The tires appear to be balance very well up to around 60MPH at that point up to 75MPH it feels a little out of balance on the front tires. A little vibration can be felt in the steering wheel. Minor issue and most of the time I drive 65MPH but today I had tires that were less likely to come apart at 75 mph so I did it.

The old tires were 7 years old and I could see signs of dry rot down in the root of the tread. So I guess it was just in time to replace them.

The Toyo's were a little squirrelly at first (like many new tires) but at the end of the day (50 miles) they were feeling much better.

The tire people told me to run the max pressure in the rear axle. I asked why? They said it will reduce the amount of sway or wiggle coming from the back as you drive down the road. I came back with 120 lbs in the rears did not notice much difference. Will try it for a few trips and then lower the pressure to about 95 lbs and see if there is any difference.

Thanks for all the advice and help.

Now I am really retired. Does not feel any different, just less money. But that's retirement.

Posted By: Sully2 on 05/18/12 04:49pm

farmer_boots wrote:

Well I got the tires today (295/75R 22.5 H). Had to drive about 100 miles round trip to get them. I ended up with 6 tires out the door for about $520 each. What a place, there is a guard shack at the entrance to the place. I guess he must have call the tire people and told them I was coming because when I got there two mobile trucks were waiting. Before I could get out of the camper they had jacks under the rear axle and wheels off the ground. It took them right at 30 minutes to change all 6 tires. Talking to them I could have had them come to the house for about $70. I spend nominally $54 in just fuel so for another $16 I could have stayed home. But I like driving the camper so it was a fun afternoon.

They used something call Liquid Balance. It looked like a quart of some type of liquid they put in the tire. It somehow compensates for any imbalances. The tires appear to be balance very well up to around 60MPH at that point up to 75MPH it feels a little out of balance on the front tires. A little vibration can be felt in the steering wheel. Minor issue and most of the time I drive 65MPH but today I had tires that were less likely to come apart at 75 mph so I did it.

The old tires were 7 years old and I could see signs of dry rot down in the root of the tread. So I guess it was just in time to replace them.

The Toyo's were a little squirrelly at first (like many new tires) but at the end of the day (50 miles) they were feeling much better.

The tire people told me to run the max pressure in the rear axle. I asked why? They said it will reduce the amount of sway or wiggle coming from the back as you drive down the road. I came back with 120 lbs in the rears did not notice much difference. Will try it for a few trips and then lower the pressure to about 95 lbs and see if there is any difference.

Now I am really retired. Does not feel any different, just less money. But that's retirement.

Thats $250 EACH cheaper than I can get the equivalent here near Cincy.....geeze

Posted By: David0725 on 05/18/12 07:10pm

Sully2 wrote:

farmer_boots wrote:

Thats $250 EACH cheaper than I can get the equivalent here near Cincy.....geeze

Did you try to call the number I gave you? That I just got 6 toyo's for $2300 thats $383ea Now mine are 245/27.R 22.5 Dont no if theres a big price difference or not? And that was installed.

Posted By: crasster on 05/18/12 07:44pm

I always love Toyo tires. They have been great every time I buy them. I would even compare them with Michelin tires.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Posted By: Larry Cohen on 05/18/12 08:12pm

Sully....interesting tires but don't know if I'd have enough clearance as mine are about 3" less diameter, plus my Michelins have done very well....just aged out...the sidewalls are perfect......

Posted By: howdy35 on 05/18/12 08:55pm

We ran Toyo's for 7 years and liked them alot. 275's. Moved over to Sumitoma's because of price and availability at the time to change.

Been running Sumi's for two years and like them a lot also. Price drives my choice and either are good. I personally can not afford Michelin, so I look for the best buy.

Hope you find what you need.....Arnold

1999 National Tradewinds
2001 Honda Odyssey--Toad
Fulltime Wanabee

Posted By: Sully2 on 05/19/12 10:29am

Larry Cohen wrote:

Sully....interesting tires but don't know if I'd have enough clearance as mine are about 3" less diameter, plus my Michelins have done very well....just aged out...the sidewalls are perfect......

I wasnt suggesting you go to the 315 size Larry....But my own 295's carry over 7000 lbs when inflated to the specs...and surely your coach doesnt have 14K front axle weight....thats whay I asked how much weight you have on the front axle.

My 295-80's are good for 7800 lbs each in single applications..

Posted By: Sully2 on 05/19/12 10:33am

David0725 wrote:

Did you try to call the number I gave you? That I just got 6 toyo's for $2300 thats $383ea Now mine are 245/27.R 22.5 Dont no if theres a big price difference or not? And that was installed.

??? What phone number??? and YES there can be a LOT difference in cost between a 245 and a 295-22.5 tire

Posted By: barnaclebill on 05/19/12 01:54pm

I contacted Toyo tire via email to the North American corporate office to inquire if they could provide a replacement for my 6 Michelin 295/80R22.5 XZA1. Their response was that they did NOT have a tire that would fit my needs.

Posted By: enblethen on 05/19/12 02:08pm

That is correct no one except michelin makes that oddd size. Any tire dealer can convert that circumference of tire to a number of brands. The profile would be different.

Posted By: Sully2 on 05/19/12 02:17pm

barnaclebill wrote:

I contacted Toyo tire via email to the North American corporate office to inquire if they could provide a replacement for my 6 Michelin 295/80R22.5 XZA1. Their response was that they did NOT have a tire that would fit my needs.

If you have 295/80-22.5's....Toyo's 12R M111Z is within .1 of an inch of the same diameter. It wont be identical WIDTH because they are made differently and measured differently...but they DO have a tire that first and works A-OK. I've had BOTH and mine came with Toyo's.

Posted By: peaches&cream on 05/19/12 03:41pm

Sully2 wrote:

David0725 wrote:

??? What phone number??? and YES there can be a LOT difference in cost between a 245 and a 295-22.5 tire

Just wondering what the 27.R stands for. I have saw 80 series, 78 series, 70 series, etc. Never saw a 27 series. I have 275/70/R.22.5 on my MH.

Posted By: farmer_boots on 05/20/12 04:42am

What I think I understand is the RV industry got with the tire industry and made special tires/sizes for Rv's. That being said I suspect the volume of sales for those tires is not very large compared to other sizes and that is a big contributor to a high sales price. So if you shop around you can find almost the same size tire in something much more popular and at a lower cost. There may be some performance trade offs I don't know but I would bet they are small in comparison to the price savings. I think the Toyos I purchased are truck tires and may ride a little harder I won't know until I take a few more trips but my initial perception is there is no difference. So shop around for physical size and load range.

I don't know the difference between steer and drive tires? Are the Steer tires designed to grip the road better for cornering/turning? And does that result in greater wear?

Posted By: barnaclebill on 05/20/12 04:56am

Sully2 wrote:

barnaclebill wrote:

If you have 295/80-22.5's....Toyo's 12R M111Z is within .1 of an inch of the same diameter. It wont be identical WIDTH because they are made differently and measured differently...but they DO have a tire that first and works A-OK. I've had BOTH and mine came with Toyo's.

There is a huge diffenence it weight capacity between the M111Z and the Michelin ZXA2, at least 900 pounds less for the toyo's and the savings on 6 Toyo's is less than $1200 bucks. I'll pass on the toyo's but thanks for the info.

Posted By: Sully2 on 05/20/12 06:44am

barnaclebill wrote:

Sully2 wrote:

barnaclebill wrote:

There is a huge diffenence it weight capacity between the M111Z and the Michelin ZXA2, at least 900 pounds less for the toyo's and the savings on 6 Toyo's is less than $1200 bucks. I'll pass on the toyo's but thanks for the info.

You can buy whatever you wish...but as far as carrying 900 lbs MORE per tire...your flat wrong or cant read a chart.

The 12R-22.5's that I had from the factory on my CC...could handle more than 7500 PER TIRE...which means MORE THAN 15,000 lbs on a single tired axle. The more than is a slight amount but still "more than"

At 900lbs MORE per tire (=1800 lbs per single tired axle) you would be running AT LEAST 16,800 pounds on that axle..and I doubt that VERY seriously!

295/80R22.5 XZA2® Energy™ LRH
7830 S 7830 LBS at 120 PSI

Theres the Mich info from their website

* This post was edited 05/20/12 08:41am by Sully2 *

Posted By: road glide on 05/19/12 03:29pm

I just tried to buy Toyo 275 70 22.5 and was told not available anymore?
Bought Continental HSR 1 (J Load) in that size.....we'll see..
I'm being told there is a tire shortage due to manufacturing shutdowns in the last several years. We are in Northern California.

2003 Safari Sahara 350 Cummins ISC Allison 6 speed
Model 3753 - Triple Slide
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 tow vehicle
Willow, our 5 year old female White Boxer

Print  |  Close