RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How long for poop to break down?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How long for poop to break down?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bit Bucket

Brookings, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/12 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

steelpony5555 wrote:

WOW!!!! 4 pages on the dynamics of POOP?????? Maybe we should get NASA involved

You ain't seen nothin'...

We did 16 pages on BIDETS a while back. and we'd have kept on going if the Mods hadn't decided that there are only so many ways to make bathroom jokes before it gets just too tasteless to go on. Party Poo-!!!

Well, you know.

ROFL ...you tell 'em girl.
I love these threads.
Priceless!

slickest1

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/12 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Luke Porter wrote:

2oldman wrote:

If you really want to know, next time you take a dump leave it in the toilet (in water of course). Should be 2-3 days.

I was going to suggest this. I've done many times, saving a trophey for the Mrs. My experience is it falls apart in a couple of hours.

That is the funniest one!!ROFLMAO

2000 H.R. Imperial 38wds rr8r roadmaster, isc 350 cummins
2007 Chevy Trailblazer, Blue ox towbar
Ready Brake with breakaway.

Sillybugs2

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 12:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't believe I read through three pages of poop issues on a Friday night although it was entertaining. Oh I know why I had time. 10 Yo son is having a sleepover and I am trying to get my daughter to sleep. Small house so I am out with them on the computer at almost midnight. Of course my husband is snoozing away when he was the one who agreed to the sleepover.

2010 Dutchmen Sport 27B
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The long answer is "It depends on many things" followed by a list of said things.

The short answer is why worry about it.

We full time. I find that the stuff is suffcently broken down to flow easily down the 3" hose or into the macerator fairly quickly.. Depending on if and what additivies I use.

I use a 5" clear plastic extension so I can visually confirm when the tank is empty, and though I may see the odd pice of TP flow down the hose, only once have I ever seen an intact "log".. That was when I tried my free Nature Zyne tablets. (Seems they were worth what I paid for 'em.. Nothing).

NOTE: I normally use no additive at all.. Only use tank additivies when I'm doing my semi-annual "Micration" from the land of snow to the land of warmer temps and back from the land of 100 in the ahade to the land of not so hot in the summer. I'm on that one just now.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/12 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You all already know you can't smell your own poop. It is always the guy sitting next to you on a crowded bus.

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Wrace

Seattle WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brent and Gina wrote:

OP, tanks are designed to allow large material to enter and escape easily enough. The trick is to keep plenty of water and fill, if not full, just prior to dumping. It really doesn't matter at all the state of debris whether it's 1 minute old or 30 days old. If there's another reason behind the question, let us know. I know folks talk about chemicals and enzymes, but there's no need concerning break-up because these are holding tanks vs. septic tanks.

And that's it in a nutshell right there. Holding tank.

Wes Tausend

Bismarck, ND

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/12 11:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Formaldehyde-based RV chemicals preserve waste. Even later in septic treatment, unfortunately. For that reason they are not good to use. They are also illegal in some areas and most campgrounds with septic drain-fields prefer they not be used. I suppose it is the equivilent of the handy dumping of used motor oil down sanitary drains.

We use a cup of water softener and a cup of laundry detergent mixed in a gallon of water as a starter. The mix dissolves human waste on clothing and in this case in a plastic tank.

Wes

Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2000 Excursion V-10 - 2000 F-250 CC 7.3L V-8
- 2004 Cougar Keystone M-294 RLS, 6140# tare
- Hensley Arrow - Champion 4000w/3500w gen
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 05:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wrace wrote:

Brent and Gina wrote:

OP, tanks are designed to allow large material to enter and escape easily enough. The trick is to keep plenty of water and fill, if not full, just prior to dumping. It really doesn't matter at all the state of debris whether it's 1 minute old or 30 days old. If there's another reason behind the question, let us know. I know folks talk about chemicals and enzymes, but there's no need concerning break-up because these are holding tanks vs. septic tanks.

And that's it in a nutshell right there. Holding tank.

I didn't know that bacteria, enzymes and dissolution had the intelligence to know the differene between a septic tank and a holding tank.

Despite what we name our tanks, there's plenty of septic tank processes going on in your holding tank. These processes start within 1 minute, and will probably complete their course in 30 days too.

Stuff is breaking down in your holding tank whether you want it to or not.

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/12 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A holding tank and a septic tank are the same thing. a septic tank is a big cement holding tank where the waste breaks down and then is overflowed into the septic field. Our holding tanks act the same way as long as we do not put or pour things into it that destroys the bacteria.The difference is we have to empty the holding tank usually before the complete breakdown occours. I never empty a black tank untill it is nearly full. A proper working vent will keep the smell out.

2015 Flagstaff 831RESS Classic Superlite
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles (fur Bearing Children)

Wrace

Seattle WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K3WE wrote:

I didn't know that bacteria, enzymes and dissolution had the intelligence to know the differene between a septic tank and a holding tank.
Despite what we name our tanks, there's plenty of septic tank processes going on in your holding tank. These processes start within 1 minute, and will probably complete their course in 30 days too.
Stuff is breaking down in your holding tank whether you want it to or not.

That's true, and I don't much care what goes on in there because if I do it right (keep adequate water level and head pressure for dumping), the stuff will go in the rv toilet just fine in log form and come out of the tank just fine, whether it's still in log form or in some sort of broken down state.

My point is I think we often spend far too much time trying to make the holding tank of an RV and it's typical use pattern too much like our home septic systems when that's really not needed in most cases.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How long for poop to break down?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS