|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> no dc power when camping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
scarpi

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, recently when off of shore power and parked at a lake or somewhere, we have no power to the coach. The control panel has no power, no coach lights work, no water pump, etc. But when connected to shore power all systems work normally. I at first thought it was the coach battery so I bought a new one and installed it but same problem. I checked the coach breaker panel and no breakers were tripped. I checked the chassie fuse panel on the drivers side all ok. I put my original battery back in and when connected to shore power the control panel shows the battery is fully charged. The rv is an 09 Pleasure Way Excel TD. The power converter is a Progressive Dynamics 9200 power converter. I sure would like some hints as to what may be causing this because we are camped at an rv park at the moment on shore power and I was wondering if there is some breaker somewhere or fuse hidden somewhere that I am unaware of that might be causing the problem. The battery disconnect switch is on. It just seems that there is no coach power when boondocking. Any helpful hints appreciated. Thanks, Don

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scarpi,

I suspect that you are already on the right track.

Assuming the battery terminals are clean, perhaps it's a blown catastrophic fuse (or circuit breaker) somewhere between your battery and the charger/converter. You may have to do some digging to find it as they can be buried.....or just check with the manufacture and/or owners manual.

Good luck,
Steve

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow! your best bet is take a walk around the CG see a guy that acts friendly and ask for help. this sounds like a problem that we,d have to be there to help. hope it turns out simple. most campers will be glad to lend a helping hand.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The panel lights are measuring converter output voltage when plugged in, I think, so are not a good indication of battery condition (at least on RT B's). Make sure your 'battery' switch is on, if PW uses one.

Jim, "I used to eat a lot of natural food until I read that most people die of natural causes."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

dreed

Mtm. View,Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It does sound like the 12 volt disconnect is open. Lift up the passenger side rear seat cushion and check. It is the one with a red key.
Dave 04 p/w td

Fire Instructor

Upstate (Albany) NY Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could also be a poor (dirty) or broken ground, where the ground wire from the battery attaches to the frame. On my first pop-up, mine had rusted and corroded to the point that it was no longer grounding.

Fire Instructor

2014 Ram Laramie w/6.7L Cummins Diesel
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller & Xantrex PW2000 Inverter

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking!" General George S. Patton

dreed

Mtm. View,Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Woops. I reread your question and you said the battery disconnect switch is on. So if so then open the compartment that contains your main breakers. On mine it is a compartment under the silverware drawers and near the floor. Three silver looking little things and all have a little button on them. Just push all of the buttons and see if you hear a little click from any of them.
Dave 04 p/w td

scarpi

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok I checked the ground cable from the battery to the coach and it looks brand new and shiny. I've been on shore power here in the campground and as I mentioned all runs normal. So I thought I again would try to see what happens when I disconnect the shore power and again no power to my control panel and no power. When you say remove the cover on the breaker box, do you mean actually unscrewing the black cover? I don't see any buttons to press looking at the front of the breaker box. My breaker box is under the passenger side couch on the lower wood trim. I removed the cover panels covering the breakers and the fuses so I could see the breakers and fuses but I don't see any reset buttons to press looking at the front of the panel. Do you mean to unscrew the black panel on the breaker box and then I will see some reset buttons behind the faceplate? Oh and I just noticed that when I unplugged the shore power cord from my rv, with the battery disconect switch on, it beeped just like when you turn the switch off. Thanks for your info, Don

* This post was edited 05/13/12 02:36pm by scarpi *

dreed

Mtm. View,Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No I didn't mean the power panel. I ment the compartment that, atleast on mine, is under the two drawers in the "kitchen" area near the floor. There are 3 breakers there. You don't have to take anything apart. Just flip down the door and there you are. But you say you now have "the sound?" Is it fixed?
Dave 04 p/w td.

scarpi

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/12 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 09 there are no breakers there. There is the battery disconnect switch, a black small box labeled Hi Amp buse 80A with a small rectangular button on the bottom. I pushed the button and I still have the same problem. There is a red wire going to the 80A buse box labeled 80 amp charge line. All of this stuff is under the furnace vent and two kitchen drawers. All my breakers are on the wood trim panel under the passenger side couch and none were tripped and there are no reset buttons visible there. Thanks, Don

* This post was edited 05/13/12 03:41pm by scarpi *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> no dc power when camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS