RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What did you do to your PUP today?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> What did you do to your PUP today?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
JoeRT04

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/12 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over at the class B forum, there is a similar topic. (I used to own a Roadtrek MH Class B).

This is an excellent method to learn from others, as they make improvements, do repair work or just have fun with their RV's. So, what did you do to your PUP today?

So, what did I do?
Last week, I purchased an ADCO cover for my Aliner Sport.

I also got two large Hefty garbage bags, cut them lengthwise to cover the two skylights first before I put the ADCO cover over the Aliner. The bags cover the windows to protect them from the abrasive qualities of the cover.

Here in New England, early Spring (pollen and tree droppings) and the Fall season, (leaves, twigs and things) land on our RV's. IMO, now is the worst time of both seasons. So, I decided to get a cover.

We're snowbirds so we will take our PUP to Florida during the Winter and store it in our garage there. No need to cover it up down there.

2011 KZ Durango 1500 D295CS 32 FT Fifth Wheel

Serenlyretired

San Fransisco Bay area

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/12 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I will be going North to my Pup at Old Lewiston Bridge Campground in the Trinity Alps, Ca tomorrow I'll find out then what if any repairs need to be done. Always something however.

galexander

Omaha,Nebraska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I re-checked the torque on the tire lug nuts. Going camping this weekend so I thought I would check. All where ok. Everything else, ready to go. I'll think of something else later on, always do.

2003 Chevy Silveraldo 2500HD 4x4 SB Ext.Cab 6.0L
2013 Jayco X18D HTT
Equal-i-zer 4 Point WDH
Tekonsha Brake Controller

JoeRT04

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

galexander wrote:

I re-checked the torque on the tire lug nuts. Going camping this weekend so I thought I would check. All where ok. Everything else, ready to go. I'll think of something else later on, always do.

That's a good reminder for all of us. Thank you.

That's one thing I need to get - a torque wrench.

And, I'll have to learn how to lube the wheel bearings also. The Aliner manual says to lube the bearings every 6000 miles. I'll have to put a little miles log book in the PUP to keep track of the mileage.

According to the manual, the procedure is to
1. Remove the rubber plug from grease cap.
2. Insert grease gun on the grease zerk.
3. Pump until new grease begins to appear.
4. Replace rubber plug.

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/12 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Indeed. EZLube hubs are great for repacking the bearings. But you still need to pull it all apart and inspect.

We just did our maiden voyage last weekend with our new-to-us PUP, after owning the previous one for four years. It's amazing that it took me a full month to kind of bring up all of the tweaks I'd done to the old one, plus a load of new ones.

I greased the bearings, replaced the tires, removed/cleaned/cleaned some more/sanitized and reattached the freshwater holding tank (had green floaties in it when we bought it), replaced the plastic plug on the fresh water tank with a plastic ball valve and fittings to make draining easier, added self-adhesive felt pads to where the fold-down hard-wall bathroom rubbed the other places it rested upon (like you, Joe), ran a new dedicated 120v circuit from the converter to a convenient place that will also run the electric heater, added two 40mm ammo boxes to the rear bumper to house the stinky slinky instead of sitting inside the rear bumper tube (they look pretty good!), re-routed the radio antenna instead of just the round-and-round coil under the sink that Fleetwood had done - made a world of difference in reception, changed over all interior lights (minus the refer) to LED lighting recovered from my installation in the previous PUP, painted a few aging exterior plastic pieces to slow down the plastic breaking down, built a custom aluminum holder that fits between the LP tanks and the battery box to hold the new Bal Light Trailer Tire Leveller (woot), added Herculiner to the frame and brackets around the battery box due to some corrosion, added free-standing Sterilite three-drawer plastic organizers that the kids use as a divider on the rear King bunk end as well as hanging a shower curtain from the shepherd's pole for full privacy for their little "bedrooms", added some sheet metal to the horizontal part of the RVQue wire frame to form a table for seasonings and utensils when cooking, to name a few. There's more, but it's supper time. Maybe I'll take some pictures some day.

I will be doing a brake job as the brakes don't stop very well. That's the last major work to do, unless I tack on flipping the axle.

* This post was edited 05/15/12 02:21am by bondebond *

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/12 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last week I thought I was ready to bring my OFF-ROAD POPUP out of its winter sleep. I took down my tie straps I use in the four corners of the roof to earth ground anchors. Cleaned out a few things under the trailer. Found my heavy duty Campin World fold out ground step and got it in place.

Then I unbuckled the four corners of the popup roof and was ready to raise the top up. Mine is electric so I went for the switch and nothing happens. I know my batteries are all OK as I keep the trailer shore power cable plugged into the garage during the winter months and had checked them.

Then it dawns on me I had pulled my auto reset circuit breaker/relay for the top taking a picture for someone on the net here to help them out with there electric motor situation. I never put it back on. I even had trouble locating it haha...

It still has not been re-installed yet but at least I have the relay located and it is sitting right here on my desk.

Rain has set in on us now for the past few days so I still havent got my POPUP roof raised yet. I did clean out the front deck and hosed all the leaves out of it and plane to do a could wash down and scrub on the roof. POPUP looking good getting all cleaned up after its winter sleep.

I want to do a three day stay at our local Westmoreland State Park and get all my supplies back in order.

This year I think I am going to go to the gold fields of Virginia and camp out with some family members that want to do some gold panning. Folks are starting to find some gold there already. I just like the idea of camping off the power grid.

All of this is centered around a town called Dillwyn VA.

Sounds like fun....

photo from google images

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Santa Fe

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A&E Trimline Awning installed over the weekend and a successful backyard campout with the family.

TV: 2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD
4.7L V8- 260 HP, 306 LB.-FT.
Titanium Metallic
2005 Scion tC- Black Sand Pearl
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe LX- Nordic White

HTT: 2012 Starcraft Travel Star 187TB

JoeRT04

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's so much stuff coming down from the trees in our area so, today, I got out the electric leaf blower to remove the debris from the top of our Aliner. I guess I'll be doing this just about everyday for a while. We'll be taking "MiniYacht" on its maiden voyage Memorial Day weekend. Here's a pic of it with the protective cover:

On edit: Changed service and source URL of pic shown above.

* This post was edited 07/11/12 06:57am by JoeRT04 *

JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/12 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I covered my pup with sawdust yesterday. The trailer stores in the garage.
I'm working on building a new cross-over bridge with a friend for our cub scout pack. Cut the lumber and made no fewer than 32 dado cuts for the various parts. We're building one that is easy to assemble/disassemble and lay flat. The dust should be blown off of the trailer in just over two weeks when we take the scouts out for the spring camp trip.

I'm also planning to build extra blocks for the stabilizer jacks to rest on. They just barely reach the ground after the axle flip (almost 6" increased height).

So that's what I did to my pup yesterday!

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, tonight was lackluster at best. I bought some small plastic storage bins that go in the two ammo boxes I've attached to the rear bumper to house the slinkys, sanitizer, roof crank and some Lynx blocks. I wanted to put the plastic storage bin in to keep the gloves, sanitizer, mini flashlight and trashbags somewhat isolated from any liquid that gets loose from the hoses. One ammo can holds the slinky I use for at the waste dump, since I have a small blackwater tank. The other can holds the grey water slinky, as I have no grey water storage and use an external blue tote for that and needs the outside hose connectors on both ends. Anyway, I'll take pictures some day.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> What did you do to your PUP today?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS