RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: What are the advantages to a 5th wheel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What are the advantages to a 5th wheel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
FLHTCI

east coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to thank everyone for their responses, I think the big reason I’ll buy a small 5th wheel is I intend on camping cross county when I retire, hopefully 5 years from now. By that time the rig will have been paid for and I’ll be use to backing it in tight spaces. I do okay backing in my current TT, I was hoping and it appears I was correct that the 5th wheel will get into tighter spaces as my wife insist on the smallest remotes camp sites, which is her apprehension about going from a 23 foot TT to a 26-28” 5th wheel. She feels our rig will be too large for the small ideal spots she loves so much. I will enjoy not having to deal with torsion bars and anti-sway bars and more so being able to connect hopefully without multiple attempts to get on the ball; which can really strain a marriage. I’m beginning to believe that connecting a TT and placing it on a campsite exactly and precisely where the wife wants it is the major reason for divorce in this country along with putting up Christmas lights.

Thanks again

2010 Ford F-250
2013 Jaco White Hawk 27RL
2004 Jeep Sahara
2005 Harley Davidson FLHTC

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest advantage is they pull nicer especially in a cross wind. All that weight directly over the rear axle plants it in place.

Backing: They are different. Not better or worse. The 5th wheel starts turning slower but allows you to turn much sharper. Do it a few times and it's just as easy as a TT. There is an easy way to compensate for the slow start of the turn. Do a "Z" turn:
- As you approach the site, drive as close to the site as possible.
- When the front of the truck gets to the site turn hard away from the site and go until you run out of room.
- When you run out of room turn back toward the site while still going forward.
- If may take a little practice to determine exactly when to turn but if you've done it right the back of the trailer will now be pre-angled toward your site eliminating the slow response when you start backing up.

Storage: It's a trade off. The 5er has more on board storage but it eats up storage you had in the back of the truck. A small 5er will probably be a wash in terms of storage.

Fuel economy: probably a wash. 5ers are taller but since they overlap the bed they are more aerodynamic compared to a trailer that sits well back from the truck.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/12 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FLHTCI, don't forget that, with a say, 30' FW, probably 5' of that total length is over the bed, so you're actually only towing a 25' long rig.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 59 Year Member

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What are the advantages to a 5th wheel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS