RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: What are the advantages to a 5th wheel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What are the advantages to a 5th wheel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
FLHTCI

east coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to thank everyone for their responses, I think the big reason I’ll buy a small 5th wheel is I intend on camping cross county when I retire, hopefully 5 years from now. By that time the rig will have been paid for and I’ll be use to backing it in tight spaces. I do okay backing in my current TT, I was hoping and it appears I was correct that the 5th wheel will get into tighter spaces as my wife insist on the smallest remotes camp sites, which is her apprehension about going from a 23 foot TT to a 26-28” 5th wheel. She feels our rig will be too large for the small ideal spots she loves so much. I will enjoy not having to deal with torsion bars and anti-sway bars and more so being able to connect hopefully without multiple attempts to get on the ball; which can really strain a marriage. I’m beginning to believe that connecting a TT and placing it on a campsite exactly and precisely where the wife wants it is the major reason for divorce in this country along with putting up Christmas lights.

Thanks again

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest advantage is they pull nicer especially in a cross wind. All that weight directly over the rear axle plants it in place.

Backing: They are different. Not better or worse. The 5th wheel starts turning slower but allows you to turn much sharper. Do it a few times and it's just as easy as a TT. There is an easy way to compensate for the slow start of the turn. Do a "Z" turn:
- As you approach the site, drive as close to the site as possible.
- When the front of the truck gets to the site turn hard away from the site and go until you run out of room.
- When you run out of room turn back toward the site while still going forward.
- If may take a little practice to determine exactly when to turn but if you've done it right the back of the trailer will now be pre-angled toward your site eliminating the slow response when you start backing up.

Storage: It's a trade off. The 5er has more on board storage but it eats up storage you had in the back of the truck. A small 5er will probably be a wash in terms of storage.

Fuel economy: probably a wash. 5ers are taller but since they overlap the bed they are more aerodynamic compared to a trailer that sits well back from the truck.

Tammy Mike & the Bilge Rat (AKA: Diego)
Ford F250 7.3L
1997 Sunnybrook 27' 5er
1995 Gemini Sail Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/12 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FLHTCI, don't forget that, with a say, 30' FW, probably 5' of that total length is over the bed, so you're actually only towing a 25' long rig.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What are the advantages to a 5th wheel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS