RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Suggested Parks along I-95, Virginia to Maine?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Suggested Parks along I-95, Virginia to Maine?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
wandatoo3

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll be visiting family near Richmond, VA, then heading north to Saint John, New Brunswick. Any recommendations for one or two night stays along the way?
We would like to stay pretty close to the route, as we need to make that part of the trip in 4 or 5 days.

We're in a fifth-wheel, would prefer pull through sites.

Thanks!

Wandatoo

JRtraveler8

OHIO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be leaving Ohio to head to Maine May 29th. Near the New Hampshire border we will pick up I-95. I-95 in Maine becomes a toll road. Get off on north side of Portland and take I-295N and from their to US-1 and take along the coast, from Brunswich. This is where most of the seaside scenery is located. We plan on seeing Acadia NP, do a whale watch and have a lobster dinner. On I-95 take exit 36 their is a KOA (Saco/Old Orchard Beach) 1-800-562-1886
Then from US 1 we will stay at Shore Hills Campground in Boothbay 1-207-633-4782 and do our Whale Watch cruise. Then taking US 1 to Elsworth we will park at Too Camping Resort and do our lobster dinner and visit Acadia NP. Our lobster dinner will be at the Lobster Pound in Trenton,Me. Hope this helps and have a great trip.

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aces High off 95 in CT near mystic, Normandy farms in mass, near I-95 and I-495 both have websites you can check out Ct also has two state parks along I-95, Hammonassett in Madison ct and Rocky neck near old Lyme ct both right off the highway but maybe hard to get into depending on the time of year and day of the week the state parks are pretty full all summer, they are both right on the beach. Good luck

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A

Dennis M M

Geneva, IL; Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going from Richmond to Maine I sure as heck would not take I-95, especially if time is a factor. Way to much traffic and congestion around Washington, Philadelphia and New York.

I would take I-64 over to I-81 and run that into Pennsylvania, then take I-84 at Scranton, to
I-90, to I-495 around Boston, then get on I-95.

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'11 smart fortwo on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis M M wrote:

Going from Richmond to Maine I sure as heck would not take I-95, especially if time is a factor. Way to much traffic and congestion around Washington, Philadelphia and New York.

I would take I-64 over to I-81 and run that into Pennsylvania, then take I-84 at Scranton, to
I-90, to I-495 around Boston, then get on I-95.

Double Ditto

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

Aadkins101

VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 06:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the route suggestion - we drive it each summer.
Some stop suggestions (not terrific but OK for the night).
Off I-84 at Milford, PA - River Beach Campsites
Off I-495 at Littleton, MA - Boston Minuteman Campground
Off I-95 at Wells, ME - Gregoire's Campground
Off I-95 at Hermon, ME - Pumpkin Patch RV Resort
Safe Travels!

ct1964ups

St Thomas, V.I. & ,Conn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wandatoo3 wrote:

We'll be visiting family near Richmond, VA, then heading north to Saint John, New Brunswick. Any recommendations for one or two night stays along the way?
We would like to stay pretty close to the route, as we need to make that part of the trip in 4 or 5 days.

Thanks!

Wandatoo

I would go north out of Richmond but then pickup rt 17 up thru Warrenton,Va to I-66 to I-81 near Winchester.Va...stay on I-81 to I-78,78 to I-287 north to I-87 to I-84 @ Newburgh,NY...stay on I-84 to Sturbridge,Mass and pickup I-90 for the 3rd exit and take I-290 north..this will bring you out to I-95 at the Mass/NH border....
As far as campgrounds go,and this depends on how far you like to drive in a day...Falling Waters ,Va. ok for a nite......Carlise,Pa there is Western Village ,ok for a nite.....on I-78 @ exit 40 in kutztown,Pa is Pine Hill....nice place and probably doable from Richmond,Va for your first nite....second nite can look around Sturbridge ,,cpl of campgrounds there or even off 84 in Ct ,just before Mass...
have a safe trip,Chuck

2012 American Tradition 43 ft..Tag..Silver Merlot.....2004 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

ct1964ups

St Thomas, V.I. & ,Conn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ct1964ups wrote:

wandatoo3 wrote:

Thanks!

Wandatoo

I would go north out of Richmond but then pickup rt 17 up thru Warrenton,Va to I-66 to I-81 near Winchester.Va...stay on I-81 to I-78,78 to I-287 north to I-87 to I-84 @ Newburgh,NY...stay on I-84 to Sturbridge,Mass and pickup I-90 for the 3rd exit and take I-290 north..this will bring you out to I-95 at the Mass/NH border....
As far as campgrounds go,and this depends on how far you like to drive in a day...Falling Waters ,Va. ok for a nite......Carlise,Pa there is Western Village ,ok for a nite.....on I-78 @ exit 40 in kutztown,Pa is Pine Hill....nice place and probably doable from Richmond,Va for your first nite....second nite can look around Sturbridge ,,cpl of campgrounds there or even off 84 in Ct ,just before Mass...
have a safe trip,Chuck

Sorry , made one error here...from I-290 north...get on I-495...takes you to I-95 @ Mass/NH border...sorry,Chuck

demoon

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/12 10:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just did the 78, 287, 87, 84, 90 that Chuck suggests today - good route. We stayed at a KOA just outside of Newburgh, NY which was a good overnight. One other thing, not much in the camping line up between Hartford and 495. Nice spot just off 495 in Littleton, MA - Boston Minuteman Campground.

wandatoo3

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/12 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much, everyone! Great ideas here. We leave May 29!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Suggested Parks along I-95, Virginia to Maine?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS