|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Killer Dowel Pin in 5.9 12v

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Super Guy 78

Augusta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/12 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has any body had a problem with this engine about this dowel pin?
Moved to Tow Vehicle forum from DIY.

* This post was edited 05/18/12 07:33pm by an administrator/moderator *

Jim-Linda

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What??????

troll3193

SouthWest, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tons of KDP discussions over here

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

which engines are vulnerable and various ways to go about fixing it..

Bryan

2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mopar Exhaust Brake
2004 Dutchemen 31BK

SCClockDr

SC UpState

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/12 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TDR forum has the info as well. 94-98 appear to be the years involved.

It impacts units with the P1200 mechanical injection pump where a locating dowel pin falls from its insufficient press fit hole into the timing case. Disaster occurs when this pin attempts to pass through the timing gear train.

George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, PD 9260 Upgrade, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO/Mobile/SKY
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart, Cobra (19).
USN Ret

Super Guy 78

Augusta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/12 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it's the P 7100 Bosch injector pump, I have a 97 5.9 12v ( MH ) with 90,000 miles and no problem, but I was told that I may have a big problem if I don't install this $.50 tab, is this true.

Yaj

The Milky Way Galaxy (Hartford, WI)

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed the tab last summer and was glad I did as my pin was over halfway out.
I had to do a radiator replacement anyway and while I was in there I fixed that too. I wouldn't want to do it without removing the radiator because it would be very hard to get to, but it could be done.
Not every engine has a problem but it could be a catastrophic failure.

One outcome is it just falls into the oil pan and is never heard from again.

A second outcome is it hits the gears and is punched out the side of the front cover. Oil loss and some down time replacing the cover.

The third result is the BIG ONE, it jams in the gears, stops the valve train while the engine is still turning and makes a big mess out of the engine. New engine time.

Cummins is still in denial about this problem but I have witnessed it first hand.
Its not a insufficient press fit issue, what they did when they drilled the cover they ran the finish size all the way through. If they had just stopped short of going all the way through they would have had a positive stop automatically built in. In fact I think that is what they did on all the later ones.

I guess the question is "do you feel lucky"?
Good luck!

* This post was edited 05/18/12 04:18pm by Yaj *

1996 HR Endeavor LE,Cummins 5.9 230hp, Allison 3060,
Front-Yamaha Enduro, Rear-Honda Helix Geeser Cruiser, 2 bikes,
22ft 1977 Cruiser in tow.
1 DW, 2 kids.
1 old dog, 1 fat cat.
I wasn't thinking this far ahead!
Selling our 1995 Georgie Boy Cruise Master, P30.

Bigfeets

Paso Robles, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fixed my and glad I did as it was also halfway out. 4 hour job at most for a home mechanic and it helps me sleep better.

2006 Duramax 3500LT DRW 4x4 EFI, Inglewood Trans, Dual Kennedy Pumps, Blocked & Rerouted,575hp, Protech Flatbed
2002 Bigfoot 9.6b

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.turbodieselregister.com I have nothing to gain but the 5.9 is one of the best engines made but is has several weak spots depending on year made. If you sign up you I think $35 a year and travel with internet access to can look up on their cite when something goes wrong. Like when the "ABS" light comes on when you are in the middle of South Dakota. Wife look in owners manual, which says basically says don't drive you may kill yourself. Limped along should using emergency brake, got off freeway and ofcourse the gas station guy was more than willing to look at it for a cost and pull the codes and fix the problem. Got on TDR and found out real common problem for what I have. Ended up plugging back in ABS wire that got knocked loose from road trash, real common problem with 2000-2002 connections. There is also a following called NW Bombers that trick out their Diesels, which I have not. But they are full of knowledge and helpful. Monroe seems to be one of their main hide outs.

1990 37 ft King of the road 5th wheel. Great carpentry, summer home
1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.

Steelsmith

Nampa, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, this is a true case of gambling, if you choose not to install this retaining tab. The resulting damage can range from the pin falling harmlessly through the very small area it would have to pass through and sitting in the oilpan to this same pin getting drawn into the rotating timing gears and causing them to jamb to a complete stop while the rest of the rotating mass continues. This means the valves are no longer in time with the crankshaft and will contact piston to valve(s) causing catastrophic damage to all of the above mentioned parts.
The gamble comes in, if you decide to ignore this timely warning and you do nothing. You might get lucky, the pin might stay in place, but if it doesn't chances are your diesel will be junk, wherever you are.
These are great little engines and well worth the investment to maintain and repair as needed.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ALL 12v engines are affected, not just the "P" pump engines. I had a 93 with the rotary pump that was also affected as were all engines back to 1989.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Killer Dowel Pin in 5.9 12v
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS