|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Killer Dowel Pin in 5.9 12v

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ib516

Up here!

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just me wrote:

ib516 wrote:

I'd like to see a link to a post (with pictures if possible) where a 24V has ever had the dowel pin drop out. I'm a member on TDR, DTR, and the Cummins Forum, and I haven't seen one. Not saying it's never happened, but I would think if it had, I would have seen a post about it.

As far as I know, the 24V had a lip cast into the timing case to prevent it from happening.

If you are a member of these sites then I suggest you do a search on "DOWEL PIN DAMAGE" and read till your are convinced that it does happen and is real. Theres Picture posted by Gary K5AWO on the TDR of a 24 valve all busted up. Theres no way to tell when the new Gear case was used. There is a repair bill invoice shown of a 02 24 valve that was warranted by Dodge for repair after a pin let-go while it was still under warranty. So go and read all about it.

Easy there fella - I wasn't challenging you. I was just saying I hadn't read of any ----- and I owned a 2002 24V before this Megacab. I consider my self reasonably familiar with the 24V, and their good and bad points.

2010 Cougar 322QBS 5er
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad, 4x4, 360 gas, 4.10, auto - SOLD
2002 Dodge 2500 Quad, 4x4, 5.9L CTD, 3.55, auto - SOLD
2007 Dodge 3500 SRW Mega, 4x4, 5.9L CTD, 3.73, auto - SOLD
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.4L Hemi, 4.10, 66RFE auto
- on order

FishOnOne

Katy

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe there were some 12Valve cases used on the early 24Valve engines which could have the KDP problem, however once these cases were consumed Cummins switched to a improved case design that had a lip that wouldn't allow the KDP to come out.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD "Built Ford Tough"
'06 Holiday Rambler 31SKD

just me

Salt Lake City Utah USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for the gear case problem, maybe you read when the pin problem was discovered Cummins redesigned the case to avoid the pin creep and do a lip on the edge. Because of the cost to throwing out all the old cases they made new ones, and just added these to the bin of parts and DID NOT change the part number. So in assembling the engine they got the part that was at hand. Thus mixed cases through the years. They eventually used all the old gear cases, but it was a mixed bag, for the 5.9
I wish I had the ability to cross refence proof of my statements on this site and show the carnege on the other one. As far as I'm concerend this is done.
Thanks for your input and banter. Its been fun.

95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just Me: could you tell me were you heard such a thing? I have worked in the manufacturing all my life and have to say that I have seen some dumb things go on but never that bad.

Cummins is under contract with Chrysler to supply us with these engines. Part of their contract states that they will reimburse Chrysler for any warranty cost and recalls resulting form their engines.

Do you think Cummins would really let those parts sit around if they knew they where bad? No, when they became aware of it this and they came up with a revised part and or machining process those parts would have be quarantined then shipped back to the casting vendor to be remelted and recast. Also no one changes their part numbers they add a revision letter to the end of the part number and this revision letter is added to the new parts.

Don

On Sunday Jan. 26,2014 Toledo Fire department lost two Hero's in a fire.
God Speed Privates Stephen Machcinski and James Dickman. We will take it form here my Brothers.

Snow_King

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

Just Me: could you tell me were you heard such a thing? I have worked in the manufacturing all my life and have to say that I have seen some dumb things go on but never that bad.

Cummins is under contract with Chrysler to supply us with these engines. Part of their contract states that they will reimburse Chrysler for any warranty cost and recalls resulting form their engines.

Do you think Cummins would really let those parts sit around if they knew they where bad? No, when they became aware of it this and they came up with a revised part and or machining process those parts would have be quarantined then shipped back to the casting vendor to be remelted and recast. Also no one changes their part numbers they add a revision letter to the end of the part number and this revision letter is added to the new parts.

Don

As a long time Dodge/Cummins owner, 1993 and 2001.5 that I still have, it was my understanding that Dodge bought the engines without a Cummins warranty! That they assumed the warranty themselves. The dowel pin is only but one of the things that could have been better.

1. Lift pump on 24V 1998.5 to 2002
2. Brass bore on the VP44 on 2001's and some 2002's
3. Crank case vent system that will pump the oil out of the engine driving down a very steep off road hill.
4. An APS that is not that reliable.

And the truck.
1. Noise in the electrical system that cause TQ to unlock and relock repeatly. (Installed DTT filter)
2. A track bar that wears out the end to soon. (Installed a 3rd gen tract bar kit)
3. A steering box that wears out the lower bearing to soon. (Installed a steer brace)
4. Under sized wiring to a lot of things including the head lights. (Installed britebox kit)

Then they wrote the Cummins engine warranty in the manual as being 5 years or 100,000 miles and that it began after the 3 year 36,000 standard warranty. However it takes some sending a letter from their lawyer to get them to honor that! I changed my own VP-44 that got dead pedal P0216 code at 52,000 miles. I moved the lift pump and installed an aftermarket one myself!

Other than that I love my Dodge/Cummins! It's eleven years old next month and just turned 100K.

* This post was last edited 06/02/12 08:05am by Snow_King *   View edit history

Somewhere in a Fifth Wheel - Where it does not Snow

Super Guy 78

Augusta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Up date.
I had my done at cummins dealer, pin had not moved, case bolts still tight, but there is a nut with a cotter pin that came out and was in in two pieces, no damage only to the pin, it look like who ever put it in forgot to spread the cotter pin, that is fix now. They installed the tab and took out all bolts, loctight all six bolts and reinstalled. Had new belts, rad. cleaned, new hoses, new water pump, cost $1561.35, I guess that just good insurance, still say Cummins should paid for some of this. There is field notification E03003 back in 2003, but I was not told about it. Will I can have peace of mine now on my next trip, I HOPE?????

just me

Salt Lake City Utah USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super Guy Glad you did not put this off. To bad it cost so much to do. Just make a note for the next owner if there is one, that this has been done, on the engine or in the engine compartment. Now you can worry about some thing else.

Super Guy 78

Augusta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/12 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update to the update
Drove the 5.9 12v about 2 miles and had a front oil seal leak, took it back to the dealer, Cummins that is, and they installed it wrong, I told them that you have to clean the area of the seal very good and seat the seal just right or it will leak every time. Will they took it all apart again and redid the seal the right way with a difference machanic, he knew what to do, it now does not leak, no cost to me this time. I hope it fix, will be traveling next week, we will see.

just me

Salt Lake City Utah USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The crank seal is installed dry, no lube on the crank or seal. Its TEflon and seats its self, when done right it works. When all else fails read the insructions. And how many do?

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tabbed my 98 12Valve in my Dad's driveway with exactly 100k on clock. Tightened all bolts also. 268k later and still going strong. Awesome truck!

2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Killer Dowel Pin in 5.9 12v
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: