|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> over heated & Broke down, update now in Flagstaff

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Living On

Where Ever

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MotorPro wrote:

racedaymechanic wrote:

Haulinas wrote:

Okay, 14 pages and no answer as to what caused the overheating? I'm with whoever suggested changing the inj's. I'd be checking that head for warp.

If you read the whole thread he says several times his plastic overflow tank cracked and he lost all his coolant
If you crack an overflow the only water you will loss is the overflow. That would not cause overheating. Something had to cause all the water to be pushed into the overflow tank(extreme high temp or high pressure from blown head gasket) more then likly the tank broke from the high pressure.

Correct on some vehicles.

* This post was edited 05/29/12 04:05pm by Living On *

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I'm missing something as my experience with diesels is limited; but as I understand it the expansion/overflow tank is there to ensure the radiator and the rest of the cooling system is full and is designed to simply allow for the expansion of the coolant when it heats up. I far as I know there is no pressure in the expansion/overflow tank and it is open to the atmosphere. It's my understanding the raadiator cap controls the pressure and allows for the expansion/retraction of the coolant.
I can't remember ever seeing a tank without cold and hot fill lines on it. I have seen blown head gaskets pump out most of the coolant in a system, but it simply fills the tank and then pours out on the ground. No damage to the expansion tank itself.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

PUCampin

Castaic

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have now owned 2 cars like this where the reservoir is part of the pressurized system. The radiator has no cap, and the cap on the tank is pressureized. If the tank cracks, the pressure is gone and what doesn't boil away leaks out. First time I saw this I thought it was odd but I guess it is more common than I thought.

2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!)

Me DW and the 3 in 3
DD 2006, DS 2007, DD 2008

DonBaja

Goodyear, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the best of my knowledge, on my older Monaco, the coolant constantly recirculates through the plastic reservoir so a leak there would empty the engine.

sjholt

Henderson, NV

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I far as I know there is no pressure in the expansion/overflow tank and it is open to the atmosphere. It's my understanding the raadiator cap controls the pressure and allows for the expansion/retraction of the coolant."

On a 5.9B Cummins diesel there is no overflow tank like in a gas motorhome or a car.
The expansion tank in part of the cooling system and if it leaks- you loose all the coolant because there is no pressure in the system to contain it.
Yes, there is a 15 lb cap on the coolant tank to prevent boiling, but if the pressure in the system can no longer be contained- poof goes the motor as it will burn up real fast. To compound all this is that the motor, radiator is all in the back so you can't see it or smell it leaking.
HTH

Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

bluebirdPT36

xxxxxxxxxx

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MotorPro wrote:

racedaymechanic wrote:

Haulinas wrote:

Okay, 14 pages and no answer as to what caused the overheating? I'm with whoever suggested changing the inj's. I'd be checking that head for warp.

If you read the whole thread he says several times his plastic overflow tank cracked and he lost all his coolant
If you crack an overflow the only water you will loss is the overflow. That would not cause overheating. Something had to cause all the water to be pushed into the overflow tank(extreme high temp or high pressure from blown head gasket) more then likly the tank broke from the high pressure.

This would be correct for most automobiles. On my Bluebird the coolant circulates through the reservoir continuously and I would think that many diesels are this way. Get a crack in the bottom of the tank and a lot of coolant will be lost quickly. Also the "radiator" cap is on the reservoir.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MotorPro wrote:

If you crack an overflow the only water you will loss is the overflow. That would not cause overheating.
Virtually all engine radiators are pressurized which is the purpose of the radiator cap. Increasing the pressure increases the boiling temperature of the liquid.

So loss of coolant and pressure could indeed cause overheating.

My two Cummins both have bleed lines to the top of the overflow tank. The purpose is to bleed air from high spots in the engine. So a split tank would continue to receive coolant.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

zman-az

Northern AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C-Leigh Racing wrote:

Who would like to put a small bet, that once this engine is back together, running & Mr Wizard sent on his way, it wont be the end of the story.
Neil

I would not want to bet agaist that. Mr. Wizzard we wish nothing bad but I have been thru similar situations. I hope the shop can find the cause of why the engine overheated, this could be one of them gremlins that maynot show itself right away. I would ask them if they know why it overheated. It is obvious that piston was scored due to overheating. How many other pistons were scored? Looks like you have a few good ones in there too. Also, are you sure you have good/proper fuel in that RV. Bad fuel, improper air/fuel mix can cause these issues.

C-Leigh Racing

Nashville NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If memory serves me right, I believe the 1964 Ford Galaxy was the first to have a rezzy tank for the cooling system, but it still had a radiator cap on the radiator.

Who would like to put a small bet, that once this engine is back together, running & Mr Wizard sent on his way, it wont be the end of the story.
Neil

kenbert

Long Island,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sjholt wrote:

"I far as I know there is no pressure in the expansion/overflow tank and it is open to the atmosphere. It's my understanding the raadiator cap controls the pressure and allows for the expansion/retraction of the coolant."

On a 5.9B Cummins diesel there is no overflow tank like in a gas motorhome or a car.
The expansion tank in part of the cooling system and if it leaks- you loose all the coolant because there is no pressure in the system to contain it.
Yes, there is a 15 lb cap on the coolant tank to prevent boiling, but if the pressure in the system can no longer be contained- poof goes the motor as it will burn up real fast. To compound all this is that the motor, radiator is all in the back so you can't see it or smell it leaking.
HTH

I have the same engine with rear radiator and it has a regular overflow tank no pressure. The radiator has a pressure cap. Something else caused the overheating and forced the pressure cap on radiator to release coolant which could have cracked the plastic tank.

Ken

95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> over heated & Broke down, update now in Flagstaff
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts