|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Limp Mode on LMM Duramax

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RedG

Fort Worth Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Installing a Transgo Jr will help. A little intimidating, but not really hard to do.

2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

redsb3

Tucson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your relying on the trucks display for MPG, it's way off with a chip installed. I have yet to have anyone prove, who hand calculates MPG, that they are getting any real significant fuel savings. I'm not saying you can't but mostly people honestly tell me is it more like .5 MPG or less, nothing tremendous considering the possible damage and complications that can arise from chipping. If you can reset it with your chip programmer, can you read the codes it put out when this happened. Should pretty much tell you what heppened.

2005 GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB with 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2002 Automate 5W, 32 ft, 13,280 GVWR
Valley Glider Hitch

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup my thought too. The OP is gaining fuel economy by starving the motor. Wonder how much damage he has now?

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

gmcsmoke

Butler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRP264 wrote:

running at 65 MPH 23 miles to the gallon, pulling I get between 13 and 14 at the same speed.

If you think so.

rj0105

Logan, Ut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

every time I Limped the tranny, I did not lock out overdrive soon enough and it limped as I was starting up a hill. Getting out of the seat and back in and starting engine about 3 times will clear the limp. I get similar MPG 23 empty and about 12 towing at about 65 mph and those are hand caculated values. The DIC is much higher. I figure the hand calc is about 5 MPG less that DIC. I use the EDGE and have a mod to the ECM.

2007 GMC 2500HD D/A LT CC SB
Frantz Oil Cleaner/Filter
2007 Keystone Challenger 5er

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/12 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRP264 wrote:

The reason I chipped was to improve fuel economy, I get not pulling, running at 65 MPH 23 miles to the gallon, pulling I get between 13 and 14 at the same speed.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

okiejoe

Oklahoma City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you won't like this but I would get rid of the chip, your choice though, But I have a Dodge 1 ton dually 06 stock 5.9 cummins and empty get 22 around town and 12.5 tp 14 mpg towing. I tend to be like some of the others chipping usualy brings on more cost later. Just my thoughts, not being rude.
Happy Trails

greende

Syracuse,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Smith wrote:

downtheroad wrote:

Welcome to the Forum...your first post.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have always felt that if you "chip," you will eventually pay the price.

My advice, pull the chip.
Others, of course, have a different opinion.

X2

X3 and I have a D-Max

2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

Kip81

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/12 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If any of you guys every pullled with a duramax with EFIlive and a built tranny you would never want to pull with another stock duramax.

Lov2hittheroad

Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drive to work grab a second cup coffee and head to the spec and proving ground. This is the routine engineers do everyday at GM. Sometimes they don't catch items (recalls) but most of the time there on the ball. Where I'm going with this is millions are spent each model year tuning vehicles, matching transmissions to motors. They have the ok to snap crackle pop Motors & trans each & everyday. They push them to the max then back off to prevent warranty issues. These points are calibrated & set in the programs to flash to the pcm to be retained. If it was good for your $50,000 truck they would be installed from a manufacturing prospective. Cold air induction for an example, certainly would be oem by now its been an after market product for years & years an still have not made it in any autos. Its like pushing a race horse you might get away with it once, but your going to explode the poor animals heart some day...I read the forums all the time (crack crank shafts & blown trany's) & no one can say there getting better gas mileage with tuners, most get worse for they can't keep there foot out of the raging beast the tuner has turned the truck into. Really if you need a race horse, figure of speech...buy a Corvette. One awesome truck you own and I hope all works out for getting back to normality.
Blessings,

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Limp Mode on LMM Duramax
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS