Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: engin battery

Posted By: hogbob on 05/20/12 12:50pm

Hello
I have a 2011 winnabago adventurer.The engin battery keeps going dead after afew days.Even though i am hooked to shore power.It is A FORD
.THANKYOU FOR ANY HELP
KENNY

Posted By: mena661 on 05/20/12 12:56pm

hogbob wrote:

Hello
I have a 2011 winnabago adventurer.The engin battery keeps going dead after afew days.Even though i am hooked to shore power.It is A FORD
.THANKYOU FOR ANY HELP
KENNY
I don't know about your exact model but some motorhomes don't charge the chassis battery from shore power. Those that do have a relay somewhere that allows this to happen. I couldn't tell you where that relay is though.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

Posted By: Son of Norway on 05/20/12 01:03pm

Have the battery checked at an auto shop to make sure it's still good. Also, If you have an ammeter, I would get a measurement on the drain from your battery. It seems to me that you have an electrical problem that you need to track down.

Miles

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Posted By: Retiredblade on 05/20/12 02:41pm

hogbob wrote:

Hello
.THANKYOU FOR ANY HELP
KENNY

It should not go dead in a few days, when I am parked I turn the master switch off for the chassis battery. Mine does not get charged while hooked to shore power. So I got a Xantrex digital echo charger which takes amps (trickle) from coach batteries and keeps the chassis battery charged, if the coach batteries fall below 13 amps it cuts off.
I think your might have a bad battery. Mine are getting old and need replaced also.

Posted By: fischer on 05/20/12 03:03pm

My south wind with ford chassis charges with engine and plugged in with battery control center.
My original battery lasted 7 years ? Ford has a 60 month warranty. Things that could use up the engine battery is your dash radio, dash fans stairs lights left on,putting out slides without running engine. Check the water level in the cells. Do you have a smart monitor?

2005 Southwind 32vs F53 Retired
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

Posted By: fischer on 05/20/12 08:16pm

My south wind with ford chassis charges with engine and plugged in with battery control center.
My original battery lasted 7 years ? Ford has a 60 month warranty. Things that could use up the engine battery is your dash radio, dash fans stairs lights left on,putting out slides without running engine. Check the water level in the cells. Do you have a smart monitor?

Posted By: smkettner on 05/20/12 08:18pm

http://www.lslproducts.com/TLSPage.html

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Posted By: RoyB on 05/20/12 09:22pm

I have accidently run my truck NON-DEEP CYCLE battery down a couple of times and it always seems like when that happens they just arent any good after that. My truck computer electronics that is always on will run my truck start battery down in about 4-5 days to the point I cant start the truck.

I definately need to buy another truck start battery I reckon. In my situation I have my 2KW generator always sitting in the tailgate side of my truck bed so I just pull out my B&D portable charger and hit the battery for 15-minutes worth of charge and it usually starts right up.

I'm the only guy sitting in a crowded Walmart parking lot with a extension cord coming out of my generator and the hood up on the truck hehe... At least I get to go back home without standing around with my jumper cables in my hands with the "help me" look....

Always got a PLAN-B

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Posted By: ryanallie1 on 05/21/12 07:52am

Hi All.

Rather than put up with this at all, why don't you just fix the problem. And make the engine Battery get charged while on Shore Power, or runnning your Generator.

We also have a Ford F-53 Chasis, and all of our Batteries get charged no matter what the sorce is.

Its such an easy fix. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Posted By: Janss on 05/28/12 01:07am

What is that easy fix? My engine battery also does not get charged from generator or shore power.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Posted By: 2EZ2 RUN on 05/28/12 06:13am

Hi all with this problem. I had the same problem several years ago until I installed a
Quote:

Trik-L-Start
which smkettner posted a link to.

It is an easy installation and works as advertized.

Andy
New 2 RVing
1994 30' Cobra Passport on E350 chassis

Posted By: Janss on 05/28/12 12:52pm

Okay, I'll either get the Trik-L-Start or a battery disconnect switch for the engine battery. Inside my previous coach there was a disconnect switch for the aux batts and a separate switch for the engine batt. But my current coach only has the switch for the aux batts.

Posted By: 2EZ2 RUN on 05/28/12 01:55pm

The advantage of the Trik-L-Start is being able to keep power to the parasitic power draws connected to the engine battery - by doing that you can eliminate reprograming everything that resets when the power goes off. I will tell you that I have both the Trik-L-Start and a battery disconnect switch in my Ford F350 engine compartment

Posted By: IAMICHABOD on 05/28/12 03:29pm

Janss wrote:

What is that easy fix? My engine battery also does not get charged from generator or shore power.

Yes a lot of us would like to know that "easy fix" that ryanallie1 talked about without going out and buying an add on product,maybe wiyh a wiring diagram.

Quote:

sted By: ryanallie1 on 05/21/12 06:52am

Hi All.

Rather than put up with this at all, why don't you just fix the problem. And make the engine Battery get charged while on Shore Power, or runnning your Generator.

We also have a Ford F-53 Chasis, and all of our Batteries get charged no matter what the sorce is.

Its such an easy fix. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Recycled El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Print  |  Close