RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Removing Exterior Decals and Stripes

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Removing Exterior Decals and Stripes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
2inAlabama

Lake Whitney, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/12 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doody wrote:

This company removed our old decals, printed new ones and installed them. They did a great job. The site also shows you how to remove them yourself and you can order their standard replacement stripes and decals to install yourself.

But is this a DIY job? How difficult?

Just DH & DW
Shopping for a Foretravel U320 42 ft

LaPlaya

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/12 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doody. How much did you pay to have the work done? I understand that there are many variables that would influence the final cost, but I am just looking for a ball park number vs doing it myself. Thanks

2001 Fleetwood Flair 31A

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/12 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rowekmr wrote:

Thanks everyone for their responses. I like the heat gun and plastic scraper way since I already have a heat gun.

Francesca how does the decal removal wheel work?

It's sort of an "eraser"- it attaches to a drill and it works real well. Not abrasive at all...

It does require a certain amount of care- as with anything applied to our fragile exteriors, it can go through the gelcoat if one's not paying attention.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Doody

Sioux Falls SD and elsewhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/12 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Laplaya and 2inAlabama - If you look at the web site they give instructions on how to do it - you will have to judge for yourself how hard it is - we had ours done by the company. As for the cost - the factor with the biggest impact is the size of the decal as the cost to produce it is based on the square footage - our decals are LARGE. It isn't cheap, but is a LOT less than having it painted and they do a great job. To have the company do the installation you will need to go to Apache Junction. I sent them digital pictures of our rig and they gave me a rough estimate before we went there. Good luck.

Stop by and say Howdy

boba

new york

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i just helped a friend do this this past weekend. a heat gun and plastic scaper work on any decal that can be pealed. in order to tell, the decal has to have no cracks or holes. the ones that were really cracked would only peel or scrape to the next crack. we ended up using a wheel(it is like a giant eraser) we found this worked better on the electric drill as the cordless would not spin fast enough. it is hot work but not overly hard.

rowekmr

Chicago

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for their responses. I like the heat gun and plastic scraper way since I already have a heat gun.

Francesca how does the decal removal wheel work?

03 Ford Excursion Ltd 4x4 6.0L ARP studs/HG, 6.4L banjo bolts, blue spring mod, coolant filter, K&N CAI, turbo back exhaust, IDP tunes, SCT Livewire
07 F250 King Ranch 4x4 6.0L CC SB (sold)
00 Acura RL
08 Jayco 31 BHDS G2
96 Regal 258 Commodore

fyrflie

Martinez, CA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I removed my decals I tried pretty much everything. Heat Gun, chemicals, razor, eraser wheels, etc.
Because all of the decals were not in the same state of cracking, some methods worked better than others.

What I found that worked the best was a product made by 3M. It consisted of a set(5)of rubberized disks attached with a mandrel and placed in a drill. It took some time but it removed the decals and adhesive in one pass. Each pass was about 1/2" wide so you can only imagine how long it took. The 3M disks also lasted the longest out of all methods used.
http://3mcollision.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/7/07501_molding_adhesive_and_stripe_removal_disc_2.jpg

I repainted the stripes with automotive paint in a new color scheme.

Good Luck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Removing Exterior Decals and Stripes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS