|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First time traveling long distance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dlos

raleigh, nc

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will these refrigerators not work off of 12V battery while traveling?

2010 Nissan Armada Titanium w/BT Mirrors
2010 KZ Spree 240BHS LX
Prodigy 2 Controller
Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch

Nights Camped in 2013: 9

mlslcan

Home

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chad/Jen wrote:

I always thought that you weren't supposed to travel with propane flowing through the pipes (i.e. shut off at the tanks). ??? Am I incorrect?

You do not have to shut off the propane tanks while running down the road most of the time. There are some longer tunnels and ferry systems that make you shut off the tanks. Other than that you can leave the propane on and run the fridge off propane while driving. As stated if the fridge is close to the fuel tank fill point it is a good idea to turn off the fridge (but not the tank) while pumping gas. I do this every time since mine are close to each other. Just walk to the fridge hit the off button, pump gas, walk back to the fridge hit the on button, grab a drink and snack for the next leg of the trip and drive off. Obviously the drink and snack is optional.

Mike

2oldman

Coachella

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trickyvic3 wrote:

Sometimes if the wind from traveling is just right, it can blow out the pilot. .
If they even have a pilot.

mrquacker

iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/12 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pack only the food you need for traveling, plan on buying the rest when you get to your final destination.

To keep the fridge cold, pack a couple ice filled milk cartons.

Turn on the fridge to the coldest setting when you stop for the night.

Gsturner

Faucett, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/12 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've left mine run for days on propane. No issues. Since it is a TT, gas fill and pilot aren't close, but I do pay attention to proximity of pilot to pumps further down the line and shut off refr if necessary. No point looking for trouble

2007 Titan LE with the Big Tow Package
2010 Rockwood 8315BSS
2008 Suzuki GZ 250-Response to 3/4 Life Crisis

crabbin cabin

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chad/Jen wrote:

I always thought that you weren't supposed to travel with propane flowing through the pipes (i.e. shut off at the tanks). ??? Am I incorrect?

Slightly incorrect There is no "rule") but a lot smarter. Fire fighters always like to see propane tanks turned off whenever they have to attend any RV accident/fire!
Safety and common sense says turn it off before you travel. As long as our 'fridge is cold when we start it has always stayed cold - up to 8 hours of hot weather travel. We have never (21years of traveling) lost even an ice cube!!

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to always seek out a Wally World or Cracker Barrel while on my way, but last trip down I stopped at little parks along the way. I must say, I quite enjoyed that and I think that will be my plan from now on. I would think, your first time driving long hours, you might want to look into this too and plan out the stops along your route.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

WI Bowhunter

Shiocton, WI

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dlos wrote:

Will these refrigerators not work off of 12V battery while traveling?

On my popup, the 12 volt would supposedly 'maintain' a temperature but not actually cool. I never had luck with the 12volt. My new unit is gas or eletric(no 12 volt).

Keep the Shiny Side Up!

2011 F150 Supercrew, 4X4 3.5 Ecoboost, 145" wheelbase, 3.73 gears, Max trailer Tow package

2014 Puma 30DBSS
Equali-I-Zer WD Hitch

3 kids and 1 DW

More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On AC power even modest size RV fridges draw perhaps 135 to 150 watts. On 12 V dc that's about 12 amps. Some models draw less but quite few draw well up into the 200 to 300 watt range. So a bigger fridge might need over 20 amps. With ac power and propane so common that's probably why you don't see too many dc powered fridges.

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Connie,

I agree with the post that says, campgrounds are better and more enjoyable, that said last fall in ten weeks on the road we used Walmarts about three times. In two places it was the only space available after Sept 15, but I wouldn't do it regularly.

As far as the propane is concened, RV specific fridges are ment and designed to be used while traveling. Our rig has a 1989 model Dometic and there is no pilot light, the burner is on all the time, the flame varies but if I see the green light on or hear the igniter sparking I assume I'm either out of propane or there is a problem. Check your owners manual, if you don't have one, go on line and google the model number and download the manual. Not a big deal and nice to have. Have a good time on your trip.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First time traveling long distance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts