|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> KOA Rewards Card

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Vvvv1010

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/12 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wondering if there is a difference in purchasing KOA membership card online or at the actual campsite at check-in.

I have also seen Allstate Motor Club membership that includes a KOA membership. The cost of the Allstate Motor Club is I believe in the $79 range. The KOA membership is $24.

Just your thoughts on these memberships and, more than likely, I will camp at KOAs several times this summer even though I am a "state park" guy.

Thanks
Raul

2011 Jayco G2 32BHDS
2011 Ford F250 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2014 Lexus GX460 SUV

Mike& Rose

Lake & Horse country,Blackstone Valley MA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Four years ago we made a trip to a NASCAR event in Daytona, FL. We stayed at the KOA and because of the race the site was $100 a night. I was offered a membership $24 at check-in and was told it would apply to my six day stay and that I would accrue some substantial points due to the length of our stay. The savings were well worth the cost of membership. I have renewed my membership each year since because we occasionally stay at KOA campgrounds. Last summer 9 days in Acadia National Park, ME, so it has been worth it for us. This year when I renewed I received extra points just for renewing.
If you go to the KOA web site, pick a campground and pick a campsite. It will show you the availability of the site and also give you a breakdown of cost with or without membership. So you can determine if it will be worthwhile for the few times you camp at a KOA .
I just received an offer that if I book a Friday and Saturday night at a local KOA near Cape Cod that I will get a free night to add to a weekend in July.

* This post was edited 05/24/12 02:55pm by Mike& Rose *

See you on the road!

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/12 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy it at the campground,you will get the 10 percent discount and they will put that toward the price of the membership my first time we went the discount was $24 so I got the card free,just paid a few cents tax plus I got points on the card for my next stay a win win plus they always have promotions to get free days.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Recycled El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

MTPockets1

USA - Usually West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/12 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No intention of bashing KOA, but why stay at one? ... We've tried a few, they are the most expensive, and sites are crammed close together. Just askin'

2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/12 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been in some areas where the KOA was the best choice for full hookups which we like for longer stays. Some KOA's now have monthly rates with metered electric. They don't advertise them on their site but if you call they will give you a quote. We also like the laundry and wi-fi if Verizon doesn't work as well. We just stayed at the one in Milton FL and used our points for $10 off. Made the stay reasonable for one night. It's not always our first choice but we include it in our options when we stay at commercial campgrounds.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MTPockets1 wrote:

No intention of bashing KOA, but why stay at one? ... We've tried a few, they are the most expensive, and sites are crammed close together. Just askin'

Of course you're bashing KOA. Join the crowd. But since you asked so nicely, I stay at them because they all offer FHUs which I prefer and the spacing is sufficient for my style of camping since I'm gone all day and only sleep there at night. I've paid more and gotten less at non-KOA FHU campgrounds.
I understand that many on these forums prefer a more rustic environment and for them, the campground is the destination. They are truly "campers" and they enjoy it. I realize that their aim is to escape civilization and enjoy the outdoor experience. That's why there are so many different choices for all of us. I'm a "traveler" and I'm there to see the sights. I like to have my "stuff" with me and I don't like motels.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

IDman

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to have a KOA membership but dropped it after one KOA park refused to honor our KOA certificate we had earned thru their points system. I contacted KOA hq, they said they would get back to me, and never did. We, like many others, didn't really care for MOST KOAs, but found 3-4 that we would use now and then. Coincidentally, in my RVing log book I keep, out of 8 RV parks that are on my "never go back to" list, 6 are KOAs.

Vvvv1010

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/12 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank for the great info and I recognize that KOA has challanges just like any other CG or corporation.

I am going to purchase a Rewards Card, because as I map out some of my potential routes for the summer, I have found that KOA CGs are usually right off of major interstates and I/ we usually know what to expect from a KOA. Instead of rolling the dice when going into unchartered territory, at least I have a general idea of facilities.

I will hold off on the Allstate Motor Club. Again, thanks for info...have a great summer.

Lov2hittheroad

Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/12 10:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked out Passport America? Great for just passing thru and some are better than others. Cross check the park with woodalls directory. Some parks can be off the Hwy., while others may be in tim Buck two not worth the gas. Two nights stay will pay for the membership in savings. Good Luck...
Blessings

LBL 1206

Land Between the Lakes, TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/12 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have been a card carrying member since 1998. great for planning cross country trips w/or w/out TT. have spent many nights in the cabins when traveling solo, call ahead for reservations are a plus. if they meet your travel/camping needs, they're great. if they don't, then don't use them. just don't bash them for purposes of bashing. different needs for different folks.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> KOA Rewards Card
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS