|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Maryland for full time Rv'ing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/12 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you're in temporary housing, you can drive through some of the RV Parks to see what types of RV's tough it out in the winter. One of our sons travels for work like we do & wintered in St Louis while we were in MD. He has a 32' Coachmen BH TT and managed just fine in weather worse than we had. He had more snow and more wind to deal with.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

DodgeVoltage

Nanjemoy, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 03:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TripleE wrote:

You can look into staying on one of the military bases up there in order to give you time to decide what to do since you are retired military. They also offer storage space to put the rig if you decide not to live in it.

I just finished living in my fifth wheel all winter in Maryland. It is a pain in the neck to stay at military bases here. I am active duty and the base campgrounds in the area have stay limits to keep people from homesteading. I stayed at Andrews AFB for a couple months until they wouldn't let me renew any longer. I then moved to Ft Meade near Baltimore and ran into the same problem. Luckily, we closed on a house and I stopped campground hopping. The stay limits vary depending on the season. Shorter limits in the summer and slightly longer in the winter. They will allow you to leave the campground for a few days and return to reset your stay limit though if there is an open space when you return.

This last winter was very mild. We got maybe an inch of snow while I was in the camper. But, my camper, a 2012 4 season model, was very drafty. I had to buy a larger, external propane tank to keep from running for propane refills constantly. I also ran three electric space heaters. Had it been a harsher winter, I don't think I would have enjoyed it much. I also went to Lowe's for foil bubble wrap and covered all my windows on the inside. I also lined the wall behind my couch to keep my couch warmer and useable. I disconnected from water when it went below freezing. I kept water in my tank for those times. I also was careful to keep the thermostat set so that the heat ran periodically to keep the tanks and underbelly warmer. Bottom line is, I had to be constantly monitoring the forcast and preparing and adjusting my ways to deal with it. If you prefer to use a campgrounds showers and bathrooms, then it would be easier to drain your tanks and stay disconnected from water. That would be one headache gone.

2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
2009 GMC 2500HD D/A Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen 3795 Voltage Epic Package
2012 Smart Passion for Two
2003 Suzuki Intruder 1500LC Cruiser
AD USAF 1996-2011 1700+ hrs E-3B/C AWACS
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!

PattieAM

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 12:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Maryland, and just wintered in my popup camper. Heat tape on the water line (white water hose) is recommended, although it really zaps an electric bill. This past winter I never had to plug it in as the temps never got below freezing for more than 2-3 hours. If you have a full hook up site, it might be recommended to allow a faucet to drip during freezing weather.

There are some year round campgrounds in Md, but most close Oct/Nov - reopen March/April.

Propane usage will be your bane for heat - supplement with electric space heater, heated mattress pad/electric blanket for comfort. I found that when using my furnace I get about 23 burn hours from a 20 lb propane tank. I bought a 40 gal. tank which doubles the burn hours and keep it on a dolly. Some CG's will help you get a 100 lb tank onsite via their distributor and set up a fill schedule.

mdsenior

eastern shore of Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in my 2000 Coachman 5th wheel full time on the Eastern Shore of Maryland just below Delaware. In the winter I cover the windows inside with shrink plastic and I made skirting for around the bottom. I use my furnace with a 8000 btu gas furnace and a 1500 watt I-heater. It is not the hottest place, but I survive.

1999 F250 Superduty 7.3 Powerstroke 4wd
2000 32.5 Coachman Royal 5th wheel
Full time home

Robin'n'Marian

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/12 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should consider a DRV if you can handle the weight. They are very well insulated, and in fact there are quite a few in use full time in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada, and by the oilfield workers. Normal winters here are have temperatures down to -40 F, so if they can handle our weather, I am sure they could handle anywhere in your country. There are a few other full time, well insulated rigs out there as well,such as Excel, Redwood, Newmar. There are others as well. Be sure to check for insulation values, heated undercarriage and tanks, double pane windows, etc. See the sticky on winter camping for more info.
Skirting it is advisable, too, and using your on-board systems instead of leaving the water and sewer hooked up if it will be below freezing. But it's being done all the time here in northern Alberta so you should be fine as long as you prepare properly. However if all you are used to is LA weather, it could be difficult to adjust.

fandango49

Severna Park, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/12 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PattieAM wrote:

I live in Maryland, and just wintered in my popup camper. Heat tape on the water line (white water hose) is recommended, although it really zaps an electric bill. This past winter I never had to plug it in as the temps never got below freezing for more than 2-3 hours. If you have a full hook up site, it might be recommended to allow a faucet to drip during freezing weather.

There are some year round campgrounds in Md, but most close Oct/Nov - reopen March/April.

Propane usage will be your bane for heat - supplement with electric space heater, heated mattress pad/electric blanket for comfort. I found that when using my furnace I get about 23 burn hours from a 20 lb propane tank. I bought a 40 gal. tank which doubles the burn hours and keep it on a dolly. Some CG's will help you get a 100 lb tank onsite via their distributor and set up a fill schedule.

ray fish

zelienople pa usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/12 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 CGs open all year North Md close to Pa are Bar Harbor, Ramblin Pines, and Morris Meadows. I'd recommend a 4 season F/W, use a Pirit heated waterhose, and have a local propane dealer bring you in 2- 100lb tanks and supplement with electric htrs. Make sure you get a 50 amp site to handle the electric heat in winter and AC in summer. Many people skirt the trailer with styrofoam insulation. I spent Jan till March in my F/w in S Md this winter w/o much problem at my son's house while we remodeled his house. Many FT active and retired Military FT at Take it easy CG in Callaway. It's very nice and resonable, but too far from you. Duncans in Lothian near DC also have many FT Military and Const workers all winter who do OK. Good luck

Ray & Janet, 4KIDS, 10 GRANDKIDS 2005 MOUNTAINEER 348RLS, 2005 DODGE RAM 2500HD DIESEL 4X4 SWB LARAMIE 410REAR PULLRITE SUPERGLIDE, FIRESTONE AIR SPRINGS, OVERLOAD SPRING, RHINO LINER, ZELIENOPLE PA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Maryland for full time Rv'ing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS