|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Electric awning - no adjustment and no tie down

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tmprkswyo

Southwest Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/12 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These reasons are exactley why I ordered my trailer with a manual awning. The convenience of the electric may be nice, but if you are that limited from wind conditions, I'll take the manual awning any day. I have never thought it was a big deal to deploy or roll up the manual awning anyway.

Beachums

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a carefree model.
If I remember what I read correctly,(and I am interpreting what you are saying correctly) it is supposed to bring the arm in like that when the wind picks up. It is sort of a strain relief to deal with the occasional rogue gust and rain. It is designed to do that rather than tear itself apart. In anything above and beyond the occasional gust, I retract mine. And if I leave it open when I leave the site, I know I am taking a pretty big risk (no matter what the forecast is) The biggest thing you can do to help it, is make sure you keep the gas cylinders clean and the entire arm assembly lubricated per the manual.

As they say, you will not find any awning manufacturer offering a warranty for wind damage. That's what insurance is for.

That being said, I would rather have a manual one.... less complicated and easier to maintain...... esp for a job that is very quick and easy in the first place.

2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two different scissor arm actions. One brand it pushes the awning straight out and the other let it out so it drops giving you a little angle. Mine goes straight out and I hate it. I have to be sure to put it in if it looks like its going to rain, as it just forms a big lake. If I were to buy a new unit now I think I would opt for the old manual type because it has lots more felxablity

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some electrics only go straight out with zero pitch. i think that is really wrong but then those are on light models and if they pitched you would have to duck to get under it.
Our new one is adjustable and you can lower either arm and still roll it up. I will tie down at times. also I have seen some folks roll their sun screen into their awning at times but not for travel

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2012 Jayco 322 FKS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
Lifes short enough without bitch'n about it!

We Cant Wait

Jamestown NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With our electric awning I made a set of support poles that I place at each end of the awning roller, and then use a regular awning tie down kit. The support poles prevent any pressure on the awning mounts on the side of the trl or any pull on the awning fabric its self where its attached to the side of the trl. We've has winds that have damaged other awnings and ours just bounceds a little but stays great. Also our awning is 20' long and extends 8' out from the trl so it's not some small awning.

DE88ROX

West Michigan. The other West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zackyboy3rs wrote:

We have an electic awing on our 2010 Jayco and yesterday the wind was blowning about 10-15 mph and a slight gust caused one of the arms to fly in. I was afraid something had been bent out of place but so far it seems to be ok. I called the dealership and asked if it could be tied down and they said not to do it. So as I see it now we have an awning that can only be used in "perfect" weather.

Who has one and has experienced this type of problem? Also, since it extends straight out there is no adjustment for when it rains and water stands on the awning. Just seems to be pretty useless.

Should be some knobs on both sides that should be loosened so the auto-tilting feature will work. This allows the awning to slide in and out of the track freely. Plus you should be able to pull down on one side or another, (grabbing the support arm and moving it towards the TT) and tighten said knobs to keep it tilted in the advent of rain.

TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

mister_d

Southeast, MI - hardly qualified to be a

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tmprkswyo wrote:

These reasons are exactley why I ordered my trailer with a manual awning. The convenience of the electric may be nice, but if you are that limited from wind conditions, I'll take the manual awning any day. I have never thought it was a big deal to deploy or roll up the manual awning anyway.

Not all electric awnings are created equally.

Ours (same as below) has shocks so the awning can dump water when it gets heavy. I also have the option to lock it into place if I chose to pitch it. There is no auto-retract or wind sensor built into it so I have added the tie down straps if we are staying in an open area. Normally we are in the woods where the trees take the hit of the wind so we don't have to worry.

Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

thib2722

Eunice, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/12 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just roll it in when the winds kick up. That's the blessing of having an electric awning. With the simple push of a switch, it's in. Another push and it's out. It's great.

When we had a manual awning, we used deflappers. When the wind kicked up, it took forever to roll it in. It was almost always a two person job, too.

Bowhunter2819

Mid-atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/12 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same awning pictured above. I tie it down all the time, the only time I retract it is during predicted high winds. I did the same with my fixed awning. I have never had an issue. Even if I need to retract it in a hurry it's just a matter of loosening the pitch knobs and pulling down gentally until I can unhook the tie downs then push and hold the retract button at the safest moment.

Hey I could be wrong, but grab a chair and a cold one and we'll talk about it for a spell

08 Dodge Ram 2500
07 Dutchman 25cgs

JoyceandSteve

Houston, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/12 06:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bowhunter2819 wrote:

I have the same awning pictured above. I tie it down all the time, the only time I retract it is during predicted high winds. I did the same with my fixed awning. I have never had an issue. Even if I need to retract it in a hurry it's just a matter of loosening the pitch knobs and pulling down gentally until I can unhook the tie downs then push and hold the retract button at the safest moment.

Same awning, same thing.

Steve & Joyce
2011 Chevrolet 2500 Z71 4X4
2013 Montana High Country 343 RL
1996 Celebrity 200 Boat
2000 Yamaha 1200 LTD Waverunner
2012 Ford Mustang GT (Mama's ride)
Vítejte na víkend doma a Steve Joyce

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers