|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Our first trip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sounds a bit rough

I have to say my first RV trip wasn't that dramatic and none of them seemed to ever be as bad as your first. But never say never, who knows what is in store for one of our trips.

but no matter the troubles the fun of camping is such a draw you easily get thru the rough patches and enjoy the rest of the time!!

GizmosMom

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/12 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go Dogs...what a great tip! I never thought of that. Will put an extra key on my leash right now. (We have locked ourselves out twice now)

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2000 Xplorer Class B van, usually pulling a Ranger bass boat.
Smudge, (in photo) a Shih Tzu/Yorkie Mix and Gizmo is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We keep the keys on lanyards. We have had three sets up to this year.

One for each of the adults and one for the kids to share. This year we will get another set cut.

It is easy to keep the lanyard around your neck, they come in fun colours and patterns and are easy to find if you put them down. They will not fall out of your pocket in the outhouse (not the sort of fishing I want to be doing).

The dog suggestion would have been great with our old dog. The new one is a little guy, his colour is not that big.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a spare key hidden in the spare tire cover.

And why on earth didn't you have anything to drink? You mean alcohol?

A good checklist will help prevent lots of problems.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

jjjandrbaker

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whski runner wrote:

Other than that we had a great time.

Enough said!! Welcome to the best times of your life!

Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

RFCN2

MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So where is your next RV trip too? Don't worry about the small stuff. I could spend hours telling you about our RV misadventures. But that is all part of the adventure.

RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Kampinkate

Upstate NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bet you won't forget the drinks next time! :-). The next trip will be much better. We've all forgotten something and surely will again.

Tom_Diane

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whski runner wrote:

We just got back from our very first RV trip and what an experiance it was to say the least! Didn't have everything we needed, got lost, had a flat on the fifth wheel, couldn't find the key to the camper, didn't have the correct adaptor for power, dinner was burnt and nothing to drink, Other than that we had a great time.

Time to re group and think about this RV'ing stuff!!!
Is that all? What no leaky roof the night it rained? No TV breakdown? You didnt have a bad experience, you had an education on what to bring and to keep track of the neccesities as well as what to expect. So the food was burnt,peel off the burnt crust and have a feast! You had an adventure and sometime you will read about another who had a similar trip and you can say been there done that but man it was fun!

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No concerns with your first trip- that's exactly how they are supposed to go- I have the fondest memories of our first trip (even after a driveway campout). it was a daily Wal-Mart run for this and that and non-stop learning. We had our minor disasters- Could not find a campground on night one and the holding tank chemical fell over and leaked out (whew- smelled worse than a holding tank!).

When you say "Rethink this RV stuff"- I can take that two ways:

Hopefully you mean this: 1) Develop some plans and checklists and get some stuff we need.

Hopefully you do not mean: 2) Rethink whether you will enjoy RVing.

You do have to enjoy these sorts of things.

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someday you will look back and tell some one that they should have seen you on your first trip and have a good laugh about it.

A few suggestions

Get a real estate lock box and keep a extra set of keys to both the RV and truck in it.

We started a small note pad 25 years ago and every time we go, anything we forgot, need to buy, lost, broke etc etc goes into that little book. Before the next trip we pull it out and get whatever we have in it. It is interesting to go thru the pages and remember the times we forgot things like keys, batteries, water, dog food/ treats and the list goes on and on.

Tires...make sure that they are properly inflated and you don't exceed the rated speed. Either can cause a blow out.

I hope that even with your misadventures that there were times you got to enjoy yourselves.

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
Nights camped in 2011 21
Nights camped in 2012 16

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Our first trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts