|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Installing Window awnings

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
ginagary

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are interested in getting window awnings for our 2007 Winnebago Journey. We are thinking about ordering them from Camping world. Does anyone know how difficult they are to install? We are very handy and have done several projects on our motorhome already.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how hard it is if done the correct way. However, do NOT allow CW to touch yours, if you care for your RV. I bought a NEW RV and the Tampa CW was to install the window awnings, per the purchase order. Went to pick it up and was never told anything by the service department or the service cashier. Did an inspection before I left the premises and lo and behold, they had drilled a hole all the way through the side wall in the bedroom and then tried to hide it. When I went back in they first denied it happen there, before admitting to it.....CW will NEVER touch another RV of mine, because they tried to hide it from us. Mistakes happen, but lies and deception are NOT mistakes...

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

PeppyPilot

NW Chicago Suburbs

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't say how hard. We had ours installed by Winnie at GNR and are very happy.

CJ and Pepe
2003 Itasca Suncruiser 33V
Workhorse W-20 chassis
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited w/Blue Ox

96Bounder30E

America is my home!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed 3 window awnings on my Bounder......not a big deal........measure everything twice....drill holes once....enjoy a job well done!

Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Living On

Where Ever

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

I don't know how hard it is if done the correct way. However, do NOT allow CW to touch yours, if you care for your RV. I bought a NEW RV and the Tampa CW was to install the window awnings, per the purchase order. Went to pick it up and was never told anything by the service department or the service cashier. Did an inspection before I left the premises and lo and behold, they had drilled a hole all the way through the side wall in the bedroom and then tried to hide it. When I went back in they first denied it happen there, before admitting to it.....CW will NEVER touch another RV of mine, because they tried to hide it from us. Mistakes happen, but lies and deception are NOT mistakes...

So you hate ALL Camping Worlds because of what happened at ONE store? That's a post that should be removed unless he is more specific and making a blanket statement for all CW's is just not right. I've had the Myrtle Beach Store install many items since 1977 and never had such a problem at this store or other stores. I'm confused

* This post was edited 05/27/12 04:28pm by Living On *

trickyvic3

Raymond NH.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/12 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your somewhat handy you can do it yourself very easily. A few basic tools are all that are needed.ASSEMBLE THE AWNING ARMS FIRST AND PREFIT. This will take 2 people, as one needs to hold the awning in place as the other marks out the holes for drilling. Remember, this is a one shot deal so be careful to make sure you have it centered.

Same thing for the upper stainless rail that holds the canvas to the RV. Center that above the window, mark and drill. Mount that first before the awning itself, as you need to slide the awning canvas through that first and then mount the arms.

Last but not least, center the strap hook about 2 inches below each window. Use a good silicone calking around each arm mount and upper rail and your done.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Living On wrote:

The Texan wrote:

So you hate ALL Camping Worlds because of what happened at ONE store? That's a post that should be removed unless he is more specific and making a blanket statement for all CW's is just not right. I've had the Myrtle Beach Store install many items since 1977 and never had such a problem at this store or other stores. I'm confused

X2 I have had many things installed at my CW without a problem.

Painting them all as bad is just plain wrong and should not be allowed.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Recycled El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very easy, did mine by myself. Used duct tape to hold the bracket in place and marked holes on each end. Put a dab of good sealant in each drilled hole before you tighten each screw.

Edouard

Hudson QC. or Lake Worth, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, pretty easy install, just measure twice and flw the install instructions, we did a 6 foot bedroom awning and a 12ft dinning/living room slide awning. Also, 2 inch's below the window for the strap is not all correct, windows are not all the same height.
And there were two loops on the straps in our install, so we set the strap hook to fit the higher loop, so when we prefer to raise the awning for a better view, we can raise it in the lower loop.

Eugene & Stella
08 Dolphin DL35C, WH-24, Allison 6 Spd.Tranny.(FOR SALE)
2013 Kia Soul 4U.Automatic, Rental Tow Dolly for now.
FMCA 318247

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/12 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased mine while camped in San Diego.They came to my site, measured, ordered and then returned to install. All very professional with experienced people who gave me good advice on color and location. We had to build shims for two as they were close to the side piece on the slide. They took care of that an matched it perfectly. I probably paid a bunch more than needed but it was done without hassle for me and done well and I am satisfied. I agree on Camping World. Don't condemn all because of the sins of a few.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Installing Window awnings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS