RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Compact Trucks?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Compact Trucks?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

I think you lost me somewhere, unless I didn't get the joke. How is hauling 2800 lbs. in the bed like towing a 4000 lb. travel trailer? A 4K TT is pretty small, should be no problem at all for a truck with 261 hp. I used to tow a similar trailer with a 160 hp V6 Ford Aerostar and while it was no super speed demon it pulled it just fine and easily maintained 45 up the Cascade mountain passes.

Well considering I towed 4050lbs with my V6 Frontier, which is pretty close to a Tacoma. In fact if I remember right the Frontier has more HP and TQ. But anyway maybe the analogy is not perfect but just throw the plywood up behind the cab then go drive and click off OD. It's not really that nice of a tow. Those smaller trucks feel real strong untill you put a load behind them. I have a cargo trailer that weighs around 800lbs, with a 3500lb axle, I've put 2000lbs worth of wood pellets in it. Even with out the frontal area of the TT it's turns a peppy truck into a dog. Sure it's normal, but at the same time I could run at whatever speed I wanted to pulling the same TT with my F150. With the Frontier @65mph it was pretty much out of gas. Ya the TT's tires are only rated for 65mph, but my point is the OP will be at his limit with the Tacoma and a TT weighing more than 3500lbs. But as they say "each to his own".

Fordlover

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fickman wrote:

If it doesn't have to be a truck, the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the diesel engine was rated to tow around 7100-7200# a few years ago, but watch the hitch weight and payload before you buy.

The cherokee (grand or no) was available with a Diesel in North America?

That's news to me.

02 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4, prodigy and equalizer
07 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK
07 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed, Hauls @$$
and no payments

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Well considering I towed 4050lbs with my V6 Frontier, which is pretty close to a Tacoma. In fact if I remember right the Frontier has more HP and TQ. But anyway maybe the analogy is not perfect but just throw the plywood up behind the cab then go drive and click off OD. It's not really that nice of a tow. Those smaller trucks feel real strong untill you put a load behind them. I have a cargo trailer that weighs around 800lbs, with a 3500lb axle, I've put 2000lbs worth of wood pellets in it. Even with out the frontal area of the TT it's turns a peppy truck into a dog. Sure it's normal, but at the same time I could run at whatever speed I wanted to pulling the same TT with my F150. With the Frontier @65mph it was pretty much out of gas. Ya the TT's tires are only rated for 65mph, but my point is the OP will be at his limit with the Tacoma and a TT weighing more than 3500lbs. But as they say "each to his own".

Sounds like those hp ratings don't translate into real world power. I believe you since you have real world experience. I just figured that since my old 160 hp Aerostar would tow 4000 lbs. at 65 without killing it, an extra 100 hp would make it a piece of cake. Sounds like that is not the case.

1998 Gulfstream Ultra B/H Ford E450 V10
2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 w/ Maxidump insert
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
1998 Saturn SL2 toad
2012 VW Jetta S

Magblue10

Valparaiso, IN

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fordlover wrote:

fickman wrote:

If it doesn't have to be a truck, the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the diesel engine was rated to tow around 7100-7200# a few years ago, but watch the hitch weight and payload before you buy.

The cherokee (grand or no) was available with a Diesel in North America?

That's news to me.

Yeah it was for a year or two. I didn't know it had that type of tow rating which is real cool.

vosj235

home

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget the math for a minute------
Just food for thought------you enter a whole new world when the tow vehicle weighs less than the trailer! (tail wagging the dog)

Compound that by being underpowered, you may find you enjoy short trips on flat land.

Hook

gregrc75

New Bedford, Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a 3200lb (empty weight) 20' Hybrid TT with an 06 Nissan Frontier Kingcab for a couple of years. Loaded it was about 4000lbs with 2 adults and a Golden Retreiver in the truck. Same engine as described in previous posts but 6300lb towing capacity. It towed the HTT with ease. Infact I went from an 02 Frontier to the 06 Frontier and it was night and day. The 02 only had a 4900lb towing capacity and a smaller V6. When I traded for the 06 Frontier I was very pleased with the towing performance.

Greg and J
Sam - the Golden Retriever. Ben - the Yellow Lab
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 28RLPR
2012 Nissan Titan SL CC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Compact Trucks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts