RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Can an Ipod Touch do it?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Can an Ipod Touch do it?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
danglo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't have cell service where we live, or where we boondock in the winter. We don't have Internet Access except when we go to town. I am wondering if the Ipod touch (with new OS 5.x) would work for us?

We need to access our online bank accounts and other secure sites (https).

When we have wifi available (like at libraries, etc) can we use the Ipod Touch to go to any web site, just like at home with Chrome or IE?

Can we put all of our music CD's on the Ipod Touch?

Can we download free books from someplace?

We won't pay the price for Cell/Data service.

Thanks for any input.

danglo

JaredWPhillips

Henryville, IN

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you can use the iPod touch for all the browsing needs you mentioned. As long as you have wi-fi, the browser (Safari) will do what you need. Depending on the size iPod you get (8gb, 16gb, 32gb) you can put most or all of your music on there.
There are apps for books and reading, some free.
You could also get an Android Tablet for about the same price as an iPod. Would do everything you need as well and give you a bigger screen to work with.

MY RVing BLOG
  • 1999 Ram 3500 12V Cummins, DRW, NV4500, 4x4, Flatbed

• 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4 5.3 V8. GoodYear Wrangler Authority E-Rated tires, FireStone AirBags.

• 5th Wheel: 2012 Jayco Eagle 31.5FBHS

danglo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaredWPhillips wrote:

Yes, you can use the iPod touch for all the browsing needs you mentioned. As long as you have wi-fi, the browser (Safari) will do what you need. Depending on the size iPod you get (8gb, 16gb, 32gb) you can put most or all of your music on there.
There are apps for books and reading, some free.
You could also get an Android Tablet for about the same price as an iPod. Would do everything you need as well and give you a bigger screen to work with.

Thanks for the tablet idea. Part of the appeal of the Ipod Touch is that it will be easier to store (out of site) in the truck when we are in town.

danglo

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition, you can make free phone calls with it via wifi, using a combination of the Talkatone app along with a free Google voice phone number. (You do need to buy a mic'd headset, or it's always on "speakerphone").
The touch screen is a bit small for me to try to read a book, but it will work, though I greatly prefer the larger iPad screen.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

SidKaye

Mt Dora Florida, Montreal QC for the Summer

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Chris and the others said Plus you can use Skype as well. I have been doing all for nearly 2 years. Make calls from Canada, Mexico and US to anywhere.

Sidney

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT,48RE, 4:10,Cummins HO Diesel,Quad Cab,LWB,SRW,PacBrake,Prodigy, X-Monitor Gauges,Line-X,Bedsaver

2002 Excel,Ltd,30RGW,Hughes Autoformer,Honda Eu1000i, ClearSpot 4G+,

http://www.kayepics.com

Tiger4x4RV

San Diego County, California

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use my 3rd generation (no camera) iPod Touch for many of the features you ask about. I even have a spare Apple wireless keyboard that I can pair to it with the built-in Bluetooth.

I read books on the iPT using the free Kindle app; can check out e-books from my local public library. Overdrive app is another one used by libraries; it works OK, but I like Kindle better.

I've got over 2 days worth of music on the iPT; it's my camper stereo. Sometimes I use little portable speakers, sometimes just the built-in speaker.

I use the iPT for carrying documents such as hiking guides and topo maps. FilesPro app is great for this.

For more secure online banking, consider adding SafePass service to your banking tools. Mine is from Bank of America. When I am logged in from a computer other than my home base, I have to enter a code which is generated by a little credit-card sized thing (I think you can also have the code texted to you). Each transaction requires a new code. Even if I am at home, if I ask for something larger than my standard parameters (transfer of a more-than-usual amount to a family member, for instance), I have to put in a code. This is a nice added layer of insurance for online banking.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

2oldman

Wilson Creek WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ng2951 wrote:

If you do not have cell or WiFi, how do you expect the device to connect to any network?
I think they realize that.

cjoseph

WV

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

danglo wrote:

...in the winter. We don't have Internet Access except when we go to town....

danglo

I think the OP knows they need internet. OP mentions they only have it when they go to town.

Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

ng2951

Louisiana, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

We don't have cell service where we live, or where we boondock in the winter. We don't have Internet Access except when we go to town. I am wondering if the Ipod touch (with new OS 5.x) would work for us?
If you do not have cell or WiFi, how do you expect the device to connect to any network? You need at least one to do the job.

There are some special antennas you can get that improve your cellular reception and may help you get a connection.

We use the Android tablet and it has both 4G cellular and WiFi. Still you have to have one those networks for it to work.

One of the reasons we like the tablet, is we use GoogleMaps w/turn by turn for navigation. Its pretty nice having that big screen. We can also switch to weather, YP to search for diesel, etc. Its pretty nice with streetview so we can check out the gas stations to see if they are RV friendly.

Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Lady & Chloe
2012 Unleashed 27SBU
2014 37 days camping
2013 39 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

ng2951

Louisiana, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Quote:

If you do not have cell or WiFi, how do you expect the device to connect to any network?
I think they realize that.
I know two people that don't. You would be surprised how many people I deal with who think computers work by pure witchcraft.

I sure did not mean to offend the original OPs. Take my meaning as being very sweet to the OP. Some of these same people who think computers are pure witchcraft have college degrees. They just don't like computers and only use them when they have to.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Can an Ipod Touch do it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS