|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> "Should I," not "Can I?"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
love2tow

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/12 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went over everything on Friday and it all looked good. The dealer actually cleaned it all up prior to us coming out. They asked that we give them a week before pickup so they could go over everything and fix/make adjustments as needed. I asked that we get a list of all these things.

My concern for the warranty was eliminated; the dealer threw in an extra year.

My wife and I have our delivery on Friday and hopefully our first little trip on Saturday night.

2012 F250 XLT 4x4 CC-SB 6.7 Diesel 3.55 gears
2014 Shadow Cruiser 313 BHS
2014 Yamaha Viking Camo EPS

Tireman9

Akron, OH

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should you drive this car or Can you drive this car?

40 years experience as tire Design & Quality engineer with focus on failed tire forensics.

Google "Tireman9" if you want to learn more on RV Tire Safety

Tireman9

Akron, OH

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

love2tow wrote:

Cedarhill wrote:

I have a hard time believing any manufacturer would equip a tow vehicle with a set of tires that would not safely tow the load for which it was designed. Did you actually retrieve the load rating of the tire and determine that it was inadequate? What were the ratings and how much did they differ from the tow ratings?

I have heard of people putting very heavy duty truck tires on a light duty truck with the expectation that it would render the tow vehicle more capable. Not true! Tow ratings take very many factors into account and tire capacity is just one of them.

I did get the load rating and everything was within the limits with the passenger tires. However, I'm one of those overkill people. I like to KNOW my stuff is going to work. Ford says my truck can tow 9600#. I'm sure it could, but it wouldn't be good for it...

I needed new tires anyway so I figured I might as well upgrade while I'm at it.

You said "Passenger" tires. Did you mean the tire size starts with a "P" as in P265/75R16 ? If so did you de-rate the tire capacity from the tables per industry standards? This means if the table says 2,500 pounds at X psi the tire is really rated for 2,500/1.1 or 2,272# when used on a truck or SUV.
If you are running LT type tires you do not have to de-rate the load published in the tables.

Don't forget the wheels have a max load and max cold inflation rating too.

love2tow

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just going by what the tire dealer said. He said what was on the truck were more pass anger type tires. He said they would work but I was just abou due for new ones anyway. He did explain the pressure limit on the wheels. He told me not to go over 80 psi. There is so much to learn...

love2tow

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/12 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here it is, finally. (not on level ground. everything is very level.)

vosj235

home

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sweet set-up congrats-------stop the worries----you dd the math, keep it sane, and have fun

Hook

love2tow

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you... Yeah, after towing it around this weekend and playing with the weight distribution hitch, I feel plenty comfortable. No issues at all.

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Contrary to what the manufacturer wants you to think, 6000lbs is NOT a lightweight trailer. IMHO, lightweight starts around 45oolbs and goes down from there!

That said, 6000lbs dry should end up around 7000lbs or so wet, and should be no problem for your truck. I wouldn't recommend piling the bed with a face cord of firewood at the same time, but the 7000lb wet weight trailer is well within the truck's 9600lb rating. You're not going to set any land speed records while towing it, and it will need to rev to make power on even the slightest grades, but it'll do it, no problem.

By comparison, we towed our 30 foot Jayco JayFeather 29Y last year on several week-long trips with our 2000 F150 Extended Cab 4x4, 5.4. It got the job done. Your truck has the advantage of a 6 speed transmission with VERY low first gear compared to mine, so it should perform MUCH better off the line. We were able to cruise flat land at 60-62mph in OD, though the smallest hill or overpass meant we had to lock out OD.

All that being said, we upgraded to a 3/4 ton crew cab super duty V-10 this year, and if I had known how hard the 150 was working, I would have bought this truck a year ago! The difference is truly night and day. No more being blown around when passing or being passed by trucks, no lack of power, and a downright intuitive transmission tow/haul mode made for an absolute pleasure while towing. With the half ton, I was never, EVER completely relaxed on the road, but with the current truck, it's downright relaxing!

love2tow

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are right, the first gear is really low and I have no problem getting the thing moving. I don't feel much sway yet, but I haven't gotten passed by any big rigs yet From what I can tell now, I think this TT will be just fine with this truck and I do not plan on going any bigger as long as I have the F150.

But... a 3/4 or 1 ton is in the cards in about 4 or 5 years. When that happens, it is only a natural progression that the trailer grow as well.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a reason they do not rate for max length.. If the trailer is properly designed length only matters when going around corners (you need to take them a bit wider) or backing up (Longer is easier as a general rule, note longer from hitch point to wheels to be specific)

Ford does tend to be a bit ..er.. generous with their load ratings, but to offset this they tend to make the trucks a bit light in the rear so they actually drive better when loaded, Empty they scare me, and that's not easy to do.

When you get rid of the 150, you might consider a 250. but I'd not trade at this time.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> "Should I," not "Can I?"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: