RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Choosing tough & versatile tires for 2500 CTD with camper

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Choosing tough & versatile tires for 2500 CTD with camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
msiminoff

Silicon Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 11:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I notice that the Nitto Dura Grapplers aren't on your list.
If I were in the market for tires to fit my stock rims, the Dura Grapplers would be my 1st choice... They're quiet, long wearing, great wet & dry traction, and M&S rated.
Cheers
-Mark

'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins, Goerend Trans, Vision 19.5 w/XDE's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Thuren trackbar, RS9000XL/MyRide

bb_94401

Columbia Falls. MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 03:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been running the Toyo M55 on my dually for the last year. With the window closed, you can't hear the tire noise over the noise of the diesel. With the window open, the creaks and other noises from the TC and tie downs are more obvious vs. the tire noise.

Before buying the M55 I had also considered the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx due to their emphasis on the 3 ply casing and the new chip and cut resistant thread compound, as they were ~ 2/3 the cost of the M55. But the decision was made for me while stretching the lifetime of my existing tires, when a rock on a forest service road cut the old tire and a Les Schwab which only had the M55 was the closest tire place.

'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We switched from 245's to 265's on OEM wheels before our x-country trip last year.
One of the best mods I ever did...

B

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

rstl99

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msiminoff wrote:

I notice that the Nitto Dura Grapplers aren't on your list.
If I were in the market for tires to fit my stock rims, the Dura Grapplers would be my 1st choice... They're quiet, long wearing, great wet & dry traction, and M&S rated.
Cheers
-Mark

Thanks. There's only so many brands that I can consider without becoming completely overwhelmed. I'm sure a lot of people have had very good experience with a lot of tires, but I've got to keep my options a bit manageable. The bit of reading I did on the Nittos seemed to indicate it's a predominantly highway tire, not suited to travels off the beaten path.

rstl99

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bb_94401 wrote:

I've been running the Toyo M55 on my dually for the last year. With the window closed, you can't hear the tire noise over the noise of the diesel. With the window open, the creaks and other noises from the TC and tie downs are more obvious vs. the tire noise.

Before buying the M55 I had also considered the Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx due to their emphasis on the 3 ply casing and the new chip and cut resistant thread compound, as they were ~ 2/3 the cost of the M55. But the decision was made for me while stretching the lifetime of my existing tires, when a rock on a forest service road cut the old tire and a Les Schwab which only had the M55 was the closest tire place.

Thanks for the feedback on noise.
I hadn't looked at the S/T Maxx. Sounds like they are a relatively new offering from Cooper, as is the AT3. And looks like it's aimed more at the off-road crowd who also want a tire that can handle well on highways to get to the trail head. Anyway, it sounds good, maybe less highway noise than M55, would likely be good on gravel roads, but I'm wondering if it's too aggressive a tire for my needs... I'll check the local price, compared to the M55.

bedrocker

lompoc ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

285/75-16E size. is what I'm running on
my Ford F250 you won't be disappointed with the M-55's
Good Luck

billtex

RI

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better handling and ride quality both laden and unladen. I have our truck dialed in now to the point where I am very happy with the handling; tires with good sidewall strength and airbags just where they need to be. Very pleased with how the rig handles.

Overall, the truck handles so much better with the 265's it really makes me wonder why they don't put them on as OEM.
Seems kind of silly...

Notes;
* I do air down the tires if I will not have a heavy load for a while. Usualy down to 50 psi front and back, I did this with the smaller tires also.
* I do need to compensate by 2-3 mph according to the GPS versus speedo...to be honest I never checked before, but I suspect this is due to larger dia tires.
* We did have the air bags with the 245's also.
* We are running BFG Commercial TA Traction (these would be similar to Firestone Transforce...)a commercial duty M & S tire. I have not had them long enough to comment on treadwear yet...~ 10k miles.
B

rstl99

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

Better handling and ride quality both laden and unladen. I have our truck dialed in now to the point where I am very happy with the handling; tires with good sidewall strength and airbags just where they need to be. Very pleased with how the rig handles.

Overall, the truck handles so much better with the 265's it really makes me wonder why they don't put them on as OEM.
Seems kind of silly...

Notes;
* I do air down the tires if I will not have a heavy load for a while. Usualy down to 50 psi front and back, I did this with the smaller tires also.
* I do need to compensate by 2-3 mph according to the GPS versus speedo...to be honest I never checked before, but I suspect this is due to larger dia tires.
* We did have the air bags with the 245's also.
* We are running BFG Commercial TA Traction (these would be similar to Firestone Transforce...)a commercial duty M & S tire. I have not had them long enough to comment on treadwear yet...~ 10k miles.
B

Thanks Bill, that's very useful, and both supports and complements other things I've heard about going up to that size. Engineers would advise caution because stock wheel size is 6.5" and 265 requires minimum 7", but tire shops I called said .5" is not a big deal.

I don't have air bags on my truck but the Alaskan is a low-riding slide-in when travelling so is not as prone to cross-wind and high center of gravity, and is not as heavy as some of the bigger campers.

The tire costs I'm getting locally are around: - please mind that I'm in Canada, and that in spite of NAFTA and parity dollars, vehicle parts and accessories are notoriously more expensive up here

stock 245-75-16:
- Toyo M55 $280 each, $1300 for 4 installed with taxes etc. (can keep one of my current tires as spare)
- Cooper AT3 $250 each, around $1160 for 4 installed
- Uniroyal Transforce AT $240 each, around $1100 for 4 installed

265-75-16:
- Toyo M55 $310 each, around $1700 for 5 installed - I would need to buy a spare in that size
- Cooper AT3 $255 each, $1500 for 5 installed
- Toyo Open Country HT TD $310 each, $1700 for 5 installed

So bottom line: Staying with the stock size would cost me around $400 less for the set of 4 (however that would leave me with unmatched and 6-7 year old spare). M55's only about $200 more for a set than comparative options.

Pondering all this...

rstl99

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

We switched from 245's to 265's on OEM wheels before our x-country trip last year.
One of the best mods I ever did...

B

What were the benefits of doing so, in your opinion?

Dome

Southwest Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might consider the Dueler A/T Revo 2 by Bridgestone. I put them on 3k ago and I'm liking them a lot. I read lots of reviews about them and there was a lot of positive comments about the tire. I know they handle well and my mileage has gone up about a mile per gallon when hauling the camper and towing the Jeep. I also like the tread design, it's good in wet road conditions. Good luck with what ever you get.
Steve

* This post was edited 05/30/12 11:16am by Dome *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Choosing tough & versatile tires for 2500 CTD with camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: