|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> problem with a cummins engine

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
dneill

milton, fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Expedition with a cummins 330 engine. On my way to Texas last spring, I noticed the engine was doing a sort of a soft jerking motion and it was sometimes hard to maintain speed above 45 mph. When i got to Dallas, I took it to a shop who found I had a serpintine belt that had to be replaced and they replaced the dash AC compressor, replaced all the oil filters, etc. Left Dallas heading for Beaumont and about 50 miles down the road the jerking started again, worse than ever, and I could not maintain a speed. I would pull over to the side of the road, turn everything off, sit for 15 minutes, start back up and all would be fine for the next 20 miles. When i got to Dallas, I put it in a shop that worked on diesel engines. He found a bad lift pump, replaced it and all the filters (again). Left Beaumont and got all the way to the Mississippi line with no problems, and then the jerking would start again (it's kinda like taking foot off pedal and the engine is slowing down and could not keep any kind of speed unless i stopped and sat for 15 minutes or so. Took it into an RV shop here in Florida. They pulled the gas tank, found some crud in it, cleaned it out, cleaned the fuel lines, replaced all the filters, and it is STILL doing it. He says he doesn't know what else to do now. They test drove it and when the jerking starts, it starts blowing black smoke out the exhaust. I just brought it home, it drove ok, but didn't feel like i had my usual ability to get over 55 mph very easily. Anyone heard of this problem before??

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 12:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

They pulled the gas tank, found some crud in it, cleaned it out, cleaned the fuel lines, replaced all the filters, and it is STILL doing it. He says he doesn't know what else to do now.

Are How long has it been sitting before trip? If a long time was it stored with full fuel or 1/2 or what. Are you running any biocide?
Black smoke from diesel is unspent fuel.
"the gas tank, found some crud in it" what type of crud? Describe.
Soaky looking paper like from old filter that fell apart? Looked like dirty water? Or looked like dirt. Or would you describe it like bacteria, fungi, and algae?

1990 37 ft King of the road 5th wheel. Great carpentry, summer home
1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

michelb wrote:

Not that it really makes that much difference but can you confirm the engine. I believe you either have a Cummins 300 (ISB 5.9) or a Cat 330 (C7 7.2) depending on when it was bought (04s came with the ISB, 05s with with the C7 so it's possible some late 04s also came with the C7).

Geeze! He COULD HAVE an ISC 330...

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Follow the fuel line from the tank to the engine. You will find a "hidden" fuel filter somewhere in the fuel line, probably on top of the frame rail, out of sight. In that era, Fleetwood put that extra filter on their DPs, but did NOT give any information about it, or its location. Been there done that with our 2003 Fleetwood DP.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not that it really makes that much difference but can you confirm the engine. I believe you either have a Cummins 300 (ISB 5.9) or a Cat 330 (C7 7.2) depending on when it was bought (04s came with the ISB, 05s with with the C7 so it's possible some late 04s also came with the C7).

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, follow the Texan's advice. I think it was Fleetwood's subtle joke on the DP crowd during that time period..........Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure sounds like fuel starvation, which could be a plugged fuel filter or a blocked breather line to the fuel tank. (The air line allows replacement of the diesel fuel with air and prevents a vacuum.) To test for that possiblity, just open the fuel cap right after the engine starts acting up. If you hear a "woosh", than that could be it. Since you were able to operate the engine normally after waiting a few minutes, it is possible the air leaked into the tank while you sat waiting.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brett Wolfe, where are you??? This poster needs some "truths" to counter the information the so called mechanic gave him......

dneill

milton, fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

for those of you that know what all this means, here's what the diesel mechanic in Beaumont, TX put on his bill that he gave me:
"Engine starts surging after about 30 minutes of driving, did computer test, check codes, test er system. replace fuel filter, add fuel additives, clear codes, replace fuel lift pump." Then he put "code 2315 - fuel pump delivery pressure, code cleared. Code 2388 - vgt actuator. recurring code. (he told me he thought that one would quit and it wasn't serious). Code 0951 - cyl power imbalance between cylinders, occurs at idle, indicates injector problem." However, he said this one wasn't serious either.

The florida mechanic did not have the equipment for checking some of the codes (I don't think....he never mentioned it), however, he said he now wonders if there is an injector problem and that MIGHT make it act the way it is.

dneill

milton, fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The "crud" in the tank. The mechanic said it was definitely not a fungus and it was not rust... he explained about the fungus problem with diesel engines, the need to keep the tank full when sitting for extended time, the need to start up the engine once a month, and the need for using an additive. Yes, it had been sitting for almost 6 months while in Dallas, and the tank was not full. The crud they found was described as what looked like leaves and gunk. He THINKS I got gas from somewhere who had tanks at a low level and I sucked up some of the crud in their underground tank.

About the engine, I THOUGHT it was a catepillar engine because of a sign the previous owner put on the door, but the manuals that came with the motor home all say cummins....isb and isb (common rail fuel system) series engines. Everyone has told me it is 330, but it could very well be 300 and I can't find anything that tells me for sure.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> problem with a cummins engine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS