|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> travel in december

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
pt109

australia

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we are coming to west coast of canada in early december. want to hire rv and travel from vancouver to calgrey down into US may be to yellow stone NP back to the coast then back to vancouver.will we be able to stay at RV parksor do the close for the winter?are me mad to travel and sleep in an RV in winter?It gets clod in the land down under but not like canada ,any advise THANKS

aussie pete

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One problem we have found is campgrounds closing in winter and no place to park. You really need electricity I would think

Our Road Less Traveled

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many people, ourselves included, use our RV for year round use. But we stick to the coast and enjoy the Oregon beaches in the winter, and further south across southern California and into Arizona, then back up home.

If you head inland towards Calgary and then plan on going to Yellowstone, yes, you are mad. It's taking your lives in your hands. Unlikely you could even rent a unit then.

Mike and Carole
2007 Snowbird 9'6" Super Slide
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2000 F350 7.3 SC 4X4
previously 8'10" Snowbird Camper
2006 Triple E Regency 27 foot SXL SOLD!

Polishnurse

Schodack, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Artum said, yellowstone will most likely be closed, it's pretty high up and winter comes early. I wouldn't do it. I Have left NY in December and don't enjoy it. And a rented RV, will proberly have heat, but I bet it's going to be one drafty unit. Single pane glass and what have you. JM2Cents.

pt109

australia

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well thats not looking good then..So how do people get around up there for the ski season in Banff etc? So hiring a car would be a better option and staying in motels I guess.!?

pt109

australia

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well thats not looking good then..So how do people get around up there for the ski season in Banff etc? So hiring a car would be a better option and staying in motels I guess.!?

jmcarp

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's not be too hasty to discourage our Australian friend from visiting Yellowstone in December. There are ways to experience the park in winter -- snowmobile tours, snowcats, etc -- but RVing is probably not one of them due to the aforementioned problem of finding open campgrounds and RV parks. Perhaps he can leave the RV behind and drive to Yellowstone in a rented car and stay in one of the surrounding towns where the tours originate. I know the main lodge is open, but advance reservations are required. Google "Yellowstone in winter", and particularly http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/winteract.htm for info.

Jim

'04 Provan Tiger CX

garyhaupt

Back living in Kitimat..northern BC.

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pt109..as jimcarp observed, renting a vehicle is THE way to go. Rent a good SUV all-wheel drive, and you are good to go. There are places you will not get to, and Yellowstone will be one of them, but the Rockies and most of the roads are at your disposal, unless closed due to a winter storm. As you do your planning, you will come across some roads that are Closed For Winter. The Tioga Pass is into Yosemite is one, as is highway 20, North Cascades in Washington. If you are going to do this, post your questions in the general forum here and you'll get lots of good winter driving advice.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pt109 wrote:

Winter in Banff is cold. Cold like you cannot imagine in Oz. It can be -15 Celcius on a warm day and much colder at night. The RV Park in Banff National Park is open year round, but unless an RV is set up for winter use, water lines above the floor boards, double windows etc.

The West Coast from BC to California could be wet and grey but okay for RVing for the most part. We may or may not have had snow in BC WA coastal areas in December. Maybe you want to think about doing part of the trip by car and part by RV?

Flyboy320

Tappen, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pt109...if you want to ski around Banff, Lake Louise, Fernie,Golden and Invermere then fly into Calgary.
If you want to ski Kelowna,Vernon,Penticton areas then fly into Kelowna. If you want to ski Whistler/Blackcomb or the 3 ski hills overlooking Vancouver then fly into Vancouver.If your desire is to hit all areas then flying is the safest and most reliable way between areas..costly though..
Wherever/whatever you decide, a 4X4 SUV is a must.You must be very aware of the weather and road conditions. Being unaware and unprepared for our winter weather in the mountains can be deadly.
I don`t know where you are in OZ but winter driving in our mountains and ski areas is not like a Sunday day out from Sydney to the Blue Mountains or to your ski hills near Canberra.
Questions? PM me

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> travel in december
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS