|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Thetford Toilet Leaking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
want-a-be

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Thetford Aqua Magic that is leaking inside the bowl where the water comes out to flush it, it is just a drip but over night the bowl fills up.
What I am wanting to know, is the only fix replacing the water valve, if it is does the toilet need to come out? Will I be able to reuse the seal between the bowl and the floor.
Thanks for any and all comments.

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replace the valve thats behind the toilet. Mine did that too and actually overfilled and leaked out onto the floor. Luckily we caught it in time before it went too far.

want-a-be

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SWD wrote:

Replace the valve thats behind the toilet. Mine did that too and actually overfilled and leaked out onto the floor. Luckily we caught it in time before it went too far.

Did you have to remove the toilet and did you reuse the Gasket that the toilet sets on?

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes the repair kits will include a new bottom seal, sometimes not. It's just a soft foam rubber ring not a wax ring you would use in the house. Considering it's not a pressure seal you should be able to reuse it.

Pulling the toilet isn't hard and will make replacing the valve much easier. Be sure to give you black tank a good flushing and have a rag at the ready to close off the hole so you don't drop anything you may need later into the black tank. When you remove the toilet the seal will probably stay in the floor flange. Note the orientation of the seal so you don't reinstall upside down if you do remove it. When you reinstall be careful to limit movement of the toilet once it's in place on the seal until you can get the hardware tightened down. You can move it off its seat and have it between the floor and toilet flange. Been there, done that, and have the tee shirt. Do that and you will probably end up cutting it. Also don't gorilla arm the floor bolts or you can crack the toilet base.

Consider adding a water shut off valve to the toilet water supply line while you have it apart. Not hard to do.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

Kennedycamper

Algoa, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The floor gasket is re-useable.

DavidP

Raleigh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is the Aqua Magic V the valve will come with a new closet seal. The Thetford part number is 31705. It is packaged as a Water Module Assembly. It is both the water module and the vacuum breaker combined. If you remove the toilet from the flange I would not reuse the seal as someone mentioned. Certainly easier to remove the toilet but would not be difficult to leave it in place if you have the room to get behind it.

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

want-a-be wrote:

SWD wrote:

Did you have to remove the toilet and did you reuse the Gasket that the toilet sets on?

Yes you need to remove the toilet , you can re-use the gasket but since you are going thru this much work , just get a new one.

racerchaser

Southwest Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/12 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For interest, the last two repair kits I got, one being a water valve, also had a new seal in the package.

Fox

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just had ENOUGH of my Thetford Aqua Magic IV. It was leaking from the fresh water valve, the foot pedal was cracked because the thing was hard to push to flush, the control cable stops kept coming off rendering it impossible to flush. Bought a new Dometic 310. ALL IS MUCH BETTER NOW. EVEN THE WIFE LIKES THIS RV TOILET.

want-a-be

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replys. Will get a valve and replace it.
want-a-be

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Thetford Toilet Leaking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS