|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Bike Rack Options

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tulsa_Trailer_Family

Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you should avoid using the 4" bumper as other posters have said. The stresses are much too high for most of these bumpers. Carry a sewer hose in it and stop there.

Our trailer did not have the 4" bumper or a spare tire in back. We did have a pretty hefty I-beam frame, so I worked with a local welder to fabricate a 2" receiver hitch for the back of trailer. Now, I can use the bike racks made for 2" receivers and then move same to our tow vehicle once we get to camp. By using a "hitch vise" on the 2" receiver, I keep the bike rack from wagging around back there.

On our Spring Break trip to Orlando, we used a "hang-down" style bike rack. I just purchased a "Raxter" rack. It is much better as it supports the bikes entirely from the tires only and can adapt to all sizes of bikes.

2008 Arctic Fox 32D 8650 UVW, 11700 GVW

2005 Ford Excursion Limited w/6.0L PSD, >143,000 miles
Hellwig anti-sway, V/B Springs, ARP studs, SCT programmer, Banks Techni-cooler, 4" MBRP exhaust,
Hensley Arrow hitch, Tekonsha Prodigy

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only carry one bike and I carry it on the front of the trailer between the propane tanks and the battery. I bolted a Yakima bike wheel trough across the A frame. while I do have to take the left pedal off so it won't hit the tanks, it fits really well. Then I bolted the hinged section of a long hasp to the tank hold down and attached it to a custom bracket on the bike with a wingnut. It worked without any mods on our Rainier, but I had to move the propane tanks ahead about 3 inches to make it work on the old Wilderness. this keeps the bike where I can see it and doesn't put stress on the back bumper. (I also take the seat off, its a Trek so its made to take apart easily)

1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6"
1985 WILDERNESS 3000CL
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing I see wrong with a front mount is they will be covered in dead bugs. Not a biggie to some but a consideration none the less.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

trnfla

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use a truck to pull the trailer you might want to add a front receiver and put a bike rack on the front here is mine on my class c Front hitch

Please say a Prayer for my 5 year old Granddaughter (Discovered she had Leukemia at 9 months), she has been in remission and tests keep coming back clean.

Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW
NiceCamps.com

Gman22

Burlington, Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/12 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most trailer makers DON'T recommend using their bumpers for bike racks.

Most rack makers don't recommend using their hitches on the rear of RV's.

Those flat racks clearly say in the fine print "for CONTINUOUS weld bumers ONLY", most on the market are spot welded.

Do more research. If not, tell when/where you're travelling, my kids need new bikes and I will be able to pick your's up off the highway in no time.

2011 KZ Spree 220KS
2006 Ford Expedition Ltd. 5.4 L/3.73

JT19

So. Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I seen someone else had the front hitch on their vehicle when we were coming back Memorial Day. The idea crossed my mind, by being I am hoping to get a newer truck in the next year or 2, I didn't put much thought into that option.

Gman22 - Will do LOL

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/12 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There might be options, but there are not many good options for hauling bikes on the back of the trailer…

The first thing you need to know is,

how much weight your bumper is rated for…
you need to know how much weight the frame rails will support off the back of the trailer…
How close to maximum load your trailer is…
How close to maximum load are your tires…
How much reduced tongue weight can you afford…

After you know that you need to decide how much you are willing to spend… cheap bike rakes won’t hold up very well…

You can’t make a informed decision and no one can recommend no matter how well intended what you can do because we don’t have enough information to make a recommendation… if your trailer is new or still under warranty you will want to ask what welding anything to the frame does to the warranty…

A lot of people haul bikes on the back of their trailers, and a lot of those shouldn’t be doing it…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even with a hitch welded to the frame you still need to support the bikes so they don`t bounce up and down and tear the metal on the frame/hitch or rack. I use a bolt on reciever that wraps around the bumper. her is what I did!

I put 2 stainless eye bolts through the bunk and wall studs to support the weight of the bikes. I use 2 ratcheting straps criss/crossed to keep the bikes from bouncing up and down and side-side. it`s not in the last picture but I put a setbolt through the top of the reciever to take the play out of the bike rack. I also run a ratchet strap under the bumper and over the bike rack toungue to minimize any play in the hitch. I have 4 bikes with this setup and have no failures and no issues. I have a rear view camera that I can watch the bikes with while I also watch the road behind me. they do not move at all! I have well over 3k miles with this setup and would not hesitate to keep doing it! it can be done if done properly!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Shadow R.I.P.

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

502_Jimmy

Richmond VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/12 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JT19 wrote:

I did a search, but reading through some of the other topics, I wasn't really findinig a lot of what I was looking for.

I have a TT, and I wanted to know of a good bike rack that would mount to the rear bumper. Also keeping in mind, the spare tire is back there.

I would currently be putting 2 adult bikes and 1 kids bike on it. But I know soon I will be adding kid bike #2 (right now lil mans easily fits in the camper)

Our old camper had the lay flat racks? I guess you could call it, but it added like another 4ft to the camper it felt. I was hoping to stay away from that if possible.

Is my best option to weld a small hitch back there, or is there something that will U-Bolt to the bumper that is trustworthy and sturdy?

Thanks for the help all!

Build a hitch for the front like I did, and put a good bike rack in it..

jcooling

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up my 2013 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH last week. I did not want to risk mounting a reciever on the bumper so I had them add a custom made 2" receiver to the back of the trailer. The weld shop used 2"X4" square stock and welded it to the frame. The cost was only $350. This will easily hold my bike rack and 4 26" bikes.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Bike Rack Options
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS