RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Jeep Wrangler Auto Tranny?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

 > Jeep Wrangler Auto Tranny?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jolooote

Miami, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 01/29/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/01/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're looking at new Jeep Wrangler Sport 4X4s. The salesman & manager both state that the 5 speed Automatic tramission can only be towed on all 4 tires down, 1000 miles. If we plan to tow it farther than that, the front tires must be placed up on a Tow Dolly, off the ground. They both suggest getting the 6 speed Manual trans. even tho it's about $1100.00 cheaper. Any thoughts on the matter?


Joe&Charlotte, Nat'l SurfSide DE34D Ford 362HP 5speed


Rusty, Rosie Dogs
Leroy's a Conure
If its got Tires or Boobs...U'r GONNA have trouble with it!

rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/01/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ask to see the owner's manual and then check the section 'Recreational Towing'. but that would be a major, major change for jeep.


'73,
rich, n9dko
Raking leaves....mother nature's way of getting you in shape to shovel snow!
_________________________________

_________________________________
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
'46 Willys CJ2A
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK


RicJones

So. Cal.

Senior Member

Joined: 10/29/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/01/12 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can go to Jeep.com and download the owner's manual to see for yourself what it says.
They are right about that it can be towed 4 down. I don't know about the 1000 mile restriction but I doubt that you will be towing it more than 1000 at one time. I haven't checked the manual but usually they say NOT to use a tow dolly.

rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/01/12 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RicJones wrote:

You can go to Jeep.com and download the owner's manual to see for yourself what it says.
They are right about that it can be towed 4 down. I don't know about the 1000 mile restriction but I doubt that you will be towing it more than 1000 at one time. I haven't checked the manual but usually they say NOT to use a tow dolly.


another poster on ther allaboutrving yahoo list just posted that the new jeep wranglers do not have a manual position on the transfer case and must be started every 8-hours. assuming that and this 1000-mile limit is true it would be a major, major change for jeep. i can tow my '03 wrangler and '10 liberty with no time/speed/distance restrictions and the liberty doesn't need a key in the ignition. in both cases the transfer case is placed in neutral, the auto tranny in park, hook up and go.

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 04/13/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/01/12 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All 4X4 Wranglers can be towed 4 down with the T-Case in neutral. There is no restriction on miles towed.


OEM Auto Engineer
2003 Damon Challenger 348 Class A - F53 Triton V10
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8 Toad


rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/01/12 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sch911 wrote:

All 4X4 Wranglers can be towed 4 down with the T-Case in neutral. There is no restriction on miles towed.


that's always been my understanding but that's not what i'm reading on that one yahoo list. i did ask that poster for the source on his statement and will post it if i get an answer.

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 04/13/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/01/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

sch911 wrote:

All 4X4 Wranglers can be towed 4 down with the T-Case in neutral. There is no restriction on miles towed.


that's always been my understanding but that's not what i'm reading on that one yahoo list. i did ask that poster for the source on his statement and will post it if i get an answer.


Doesn't matter what is posted, it's wrong. As a Jeep Engineer I can confirm this.....

rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/01/12 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sch911 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

sch911 wrote:

All 4X4 Wranglers can be towed 4 down with the T-Case in neutral. There is no restriction on miles towed.


that's always been my understanding but that's not what i'm reading on that one yahoo list. i did ask that poster for the source on his statement and will post it if i get an answer.


Doesn't matter what is posted, it's wrong. As a Jeep Engineer I can confirm this.....


good to know. sounds like ill-informed sales people.

RicJones

So. Cal.

Senior Member

Joined: 10/29/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/01/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked the owners manual for the '12 and there isn't anything in it about a 1000 mile restriction. Interestingly for the first time in years there is no reference to disconnecting the battery.
Also, it says that using a tow dolly is NOT ALLOWED.
When in doubt believe ONLY the owners manual, if you go by what it says and there is a problem, it becomes Jeep's problem, not yours.

mowermech

Billings, MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/01/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solve the problem:
Don't buy a NEW one, get an '06 Rubicon instead. Yes, you will have to have the key in the ignition, and the switch in the "OFF, not locked" position.
No need to disconnect the battery.
Just put the transfer case in NEUTRAL, the automatic tranny in PARK or the manual tranny in 5th or 6th gear, and get on down the road.
No limits on towing speed or distance.
I like my '06. I would never trade it for a new one!


CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

 > Jeep Wrangler Auto Tranny?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS