RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Keep or trade????????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Keep or trade????????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would keep the truck and change the axle gears to 4.10.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I don't think that it would be worth it, fuel mileage wise, to switch out to 4.10 gearing as that would encompass two axles and probably over $3,000 from what I have seen on this site. I have been talking to the GM dealer and they quoted me a pretty good deal on a 2012 GMC with a few more things on it than my Ram, including automatic and more torque. The difference is around $13,000 and that's about the difference between what I paid for the Ram and what they have for MSRP on the GMC. Trying to decide if I want to step up to a little higher monthly payment or not. Probably will try to come to a decision tomorrow. Again, thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

John A. Lichty

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/12 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jalichty wrote:

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I don't think that it would be worth it, fuel mileage wise, to switch out to 4.10 gearing as that would encompass two axles and probably over $3,000 from what I have seen on this site. I have been talking to the GM dealer and they quoted me a pretty good deal on a 2012 GMC with a few more things on it than my Ram, including automatic and more torque. The difference is around $13,000 and that's about the difference between what I paid for the Ram and what they have for MSRP on the GMC. Trying to decide if I want to step up to a little higher monthly payment or not. Probably will try to come to a decision tomorrow. Again, thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
Gear change on a 4wd should be in the $1500-2000 range for both axles. $3000 is way way way over estimated. I have done the gear change on my truck so I do know what I am saying.

Very little fuel mileage difference between 3.42 and 4.10, so long as you don't drive hyper fast on the freeway.

Spending $13,000 out of pocket on a new truck after trade-in value of the old truck, to save from paying $2K or less for a gear change really makes no financial sense at all.

2BLAZERS

KEIZER, OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/12 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally would get the 2012 Ram with the 4.10 (1st choice) or 3.73 gears.

3.42 gears suck except for highway only and you don't have a trailer or camper to haul EVER.

3.73 gears for hauling and you like to keep the speed up in the 75 and 80 zones.

I like my 4.10 gears for hauling the camper and trailers at the same time. It sucks the fuel like an addict above 70 but hauls great.

I think Dode/Ram did the 3.42 gears only to have a truck with a higher MPG rating for marketing purposes....

2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4*4 Black dually Laramie 4.10 gears
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 XP EPS w/stuff
2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 w/stuff
1977 K5 Blazer 1 ton modified
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid (her car)

Tom_Diane

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually just smile at the change gear ratio responses but in your situation, I would think that would be more cost effective. But the other part is that your wife doesnt like the manual tranny, also that you arent as comfortable backing up using both feet. So from what you are saying, you not only have desire for the truck of your total liking but a reason to trade. I would say trade and take a hit if you have to but able to and get a tv vehicle you can be happy with. Like with a lot of things ,if you dont like it you are less apt to take good care of it after a while and when it gets to the point it is nickel and dimeing you to death, it wont be worth a plug nickel for a trade . So trade it for something now that you can take pride in right now.

#40Fan

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/12 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having the manual with 3.42 gears is like having an auto with 3.73. 3.73 gears would be like a 4.10.

Power rating for the manual is 350/610.

2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/12 11:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, after a bunch of "soul" searching, went back to the dealer with a counter. To my surprise, they then countered with a different, more expensive truck and higher trade than I suggested all the while coming back to the difference that I suggested. So, it looks like I will be trading my 2011 Dodge Ram 2500HD for a 2012 GMC 2500HD with a Duramax/Allison combination so my wife will be more comfortable driving it and I'll be happier with the higher torque and automatic for backing. As well, we will get a short bed which was what we really wanted anyway. Final trade price is about $2,000 less than what we paid for the Ram last fall so I think we got a pretty good deal. Hope the GMC holds up if I have a crash, LOL.

dreeder

Castle Rock, Co

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/12 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There certainly nice trucks, enjoy.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Keep or trade????????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles