|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> MY LIPPERT FRAME REPAIR

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found some cracks above the middle spring hangers of our Komfort trailer.

Sent some pictures of it to Lippert who told me the 2 year warranty was over but they would send me some fish plates to weld in above each hanger, 6 in total. When they got here I found they were 1½" deep but my frame was only an inch deep, seemed a little weird to me. Sent them another email asking about that as well as why they only supplied the fish plates when they recommend those as well as the cross bracing from hanger to hanger as show here:
Lippert link

Sent an email to the people at Dutchmen who have taken over the Komfort brand of the Thor group of companies and are now making light weight "Komforts" not up to the Komfort brand IMO. They passed the buck and sent me a link to the previous Komfort manufacturers, got no reply from them either, once the 2 year warranty is up they don't care I guess...

These fish plates are 1/8" thick, the frame is only about 3/16" thick, obviously too thin light weight from al the horror stories posted on the web with these cheap Lippert frames.

Lucky for me my old carpool bud has a nicely equipped shop complete with a MIG welder and plasma cutter. First thing we did after I removed the underbely was to grind out the cracks and weld them up:

Then we trimmed the plates to fit inside the frame and welded them in:

Then we added a corner gusset from the outside of the I-beam to the web like Lippert does on the newer trailers ours is an 07), here's a shot of the finished repair after a couple coats of paint and undercoating:

We also made some braces across the frame with 1/8" wall 2" square tubing and 3/16" gussets to the hangers:

Re-insulated the tanks and jammed insulation in between them:

Here's a couple shots of the finished product, should hold up well now I think:

Had to re-route the grey tank drain to make room for the cross bracing, just need to spray some black spray foam around that and any other voids to seal it up to hopefully keep the varmints out, found the remnants of a couple mice in the insulation when I removed the underbelly.
Thanks to my old carpool bud Bill for taking this project on.

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, SteadyFast stabilizers, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600, shocks and EZ-Flex suspension, Reese Strait-Line

spike99

North America

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/12 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks great.

Only minor change is 2 x gussets (triangle braces) welded on each end of the 2x2 steel tubing - instead of only 1 x corner gusset.

Other then this, great job. Thanks for sharing...

* This post was edited 06/03/12 08:19pm by spike99 *

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/12 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 gussets would be overkill IMO, as would welding all around the fish plate, also someone posted on here a while ago that you should not weld all around the fish plates on a frame, he seemed to know what he was talking about. (He only used 1 gusset too.)

Since the newer trailers come with that little angled gusset on the frame and they're not having the cracking problems, I think everything we've done is plenty strong enough.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 05:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tmprkswyo wrote:

Fisherguy wrote:

2 gussets would be overkill IMO, as would welding all around the fish plate, also someone posted on here a while ago that you should not weld all around the fish plates on a frame, he seemed to know what he was talking about. (He only used 1 gusset too.)

Since the newer trailers come with that little angled gusset on the frame and they're not having the cracking problems, I think everything we've done is plenty strong enough.

I asked about welding all around because the Lippert tech sheet said to do it that way.

Not to be a smart..., but I wouldn`t even give the Lippert tech sheet a second thought! JMO!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Shadow R.I.P.

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

tmprkswyo

Southwest Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/12 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curious why you didn't weld the fish plate all the way around and just stich welded it?

tmprkswyo

Southwest Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/12 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherguy wrote:

I asked about welding all around because the Lippert tech sheet said to do it that way.

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly, if Lippert knew what they were doing they would be making such a crappy product to begin with.
Google Lippert frame cracks, or failures, people with 5th wheels are having their pin box fall off, people with standard trailers are having the A-FRAME fall off, pretty bad.

Dodge Guy, what's with the Ford in your sig pic?

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was told by a welder once that a stitch weld is better for something like a fish plate, because it will stop a crack before it runs around the perimeter. Whether this is true or not I don't know, but it makes sense to me.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

SkipJ

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading about all the problems with all RV's, I am beginning to think getting a new RV would be too big a gamble, just get a car with good MPG and motel!
SkppJ

1992 Airstream B-190 van
1989 Airstream 25' Excella Trailer
Outfitter Apex 9.5 Truck Camper Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4

BBob

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice Job. Stitch welding is better, Welding Solid can create problems. A buudy of mine had lippert repair his frame, they did it in the driveway. Sloppiest repair I've ever seen. He sold it soon after.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2012 Outback 260FL
Reese Dual Cam

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> MY LIPPERT FRAME REPAIR
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts