|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Tips for RVing in Mexico

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is Great, Keep it up!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

Belgique

Cedar Island NC (Outer Banks)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/12 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rocmoc wrote:

This is Great, Keep it up! rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

No it isn't. We had thought that we wouldn't go this year, again, but this thread is stirring some wanderlust. Yeah, keep it up.

Cedar Island, NC (Gateway to the Outer Banks)
2008 Winnie Sightseer 35J

TxTiger

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/12 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the most important phases I learned in Mexico when ordering a drink was "no hielo" (no ice). Many people avoid the water, but get ice in drinks and wonder why they get an upset stomach when they've been so careful about what they eat and drink. Be careful of frozen margaritas.

2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
KZ 27TH Toy Hauler, 5,700 lb dry weight/8,000 lb GVW.

mexicoruss

Puerto Penasco Sonora Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a quick note on emergency's and all, the State of Sonora has adopted the 911 emergency number. If you are in Sonora and have a problem dial 911 and you will be talking to an English speaking agent. Salud and Welcome home to Mexico!

Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/12 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Russ: Back in April some billboards went up announcing the 911 number. Unfortunately at that time it would not work from a landline nor a US cell. Only from a Mexican cell. I tried the # and got a Spanish speaking operator. Has it now been improved? Have you tried the # from a USA cell? Thanks

Moisheh

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/12 03:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a replacement drivers license from your home state or province or make a good photocopy of your drivers license. Police will on occasion hold your drivers license until you give them what they want.
Diesel truck owners should bring along an oil filter or two because it's hard to find the filters in Mexico.
Let your credit card companies know you're going to Mexico. Last summer my gas card was shut off after I used it once in Quebec.
Get away from the border and it gets much safer.

rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/12 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I steel pop rivet my license plates on my vehicles so they can't disappear or become hostage. Oh yeah LOL, I do this for my permanent home in Arizona also! I additionally have hidden kill switches and use them ALWAYS both SOB & NOB. I would rather have a broken window than a stolen vehicle.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

mexicoruss

Puerto Penasco Sonora Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rocmoc wrote:

I steel pop rivet my license plates on my vehicles so they can't disappear or become hostage. Oh yeah LOL, I do this for my permanent home in Arizona also! I additionally have hidden kill switches and use them ALWAYS both SOB & NOB. I would rather have a broken window than a stolen vehicle.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I do the same thing great idea. I have Sonoran plates and they tend to disappear at places in AZ so I am better safe than sorry

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slow down -- there are many places where the posted speed limit is faster than the safe speed.

When you have to pull off the road, watch out for low shoulders -- there is sometimes a drop of several inches to a foot, and you might roll over if you are not going very slowly.

Almost any dish can be ordered al mojo de ajo -- an amazing garlic sauce. Just make sure that your traveling companion orders the same thing.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2wacky

Trinidad Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking forward to Halloween to start our 10th winter in Sonora. Light, lo-fat, no-fat foods are very limited SOB but it is improving each year. We stock up on some odds and ends that make our time there even better. For example, diet tonic water is almost unheard of and difficult to find. They have peanut butter but we prefer US types. There are some wonderful Mexican cheeses and even Mennonite, but Swiss and Cheddar are usually hard to find. Even though Sonora is the beef capitol of Mexico, finding a good T-bone steak or thick sirloin can be a real challenge since beef tends to be sold cut very thin for asada dishes. We fill the coach freezer with properly aged beef going south and return to the US with the same freezer filled with shrimp. Take lots of good freezer bags. Disposable batteries are expensive so stock up before you cross the border. Most important is to bring a big smile and be patient as everything goes slow SOB...except for the buses and trucks on the autopistas.
Best regards,
Larry

Door. "Something a dog is always on the wrong side of." Mark Twain

KE├śM

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Tips for RVing in Mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS