|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RVJimofOregon

Central Oregon Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/12 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What makes Snopes the final word on stuff. Also who pay for the web site and research. Most people think it is the final answer and it might be but would like some background info.
RV Jim

Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,“It was loaned to you by your children”
Indian proverb

ridingfamily4

Corona, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/12 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know, but I do know that they have been wrong before and had to retract some info, so I don't use them as the "end all"

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you look at the bottom of the page on snopes response to a question related to an urban legend, you will find the sources they use to backup their information. They do not fly by the seat of their pants as many here are prone to do.

If you have reputable information that is contrary to what snopes has posted they welcome your input. Also, if you have reputable information to refute snopes position on a given issue post it here. I have yet to be in a position where I have more creditable information on an issue than what snopes has posted. Therefore, I will trust them until proven otherwise No source will be 100% accurate 100% of the time, and I expect others to prove a source wrong on an issue before criticizing them for not being accurate.

The following explains more about who Snopes is:

About Snopes

* This post was edited 06/05/12 07:28pm by Moderator *

gasbag

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/12 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVJimofOregon wrote:

What makes Snopes the final word on stuff.

I'm sorry but that would be me.
They have never been wrong, know absolutely everything and are the final word in any dispute.
After all, if it is on the internet, it must be true.

I believe 1/2 of what I hear on the news and nothing I see or read on the internet. It has worked out pretty well so far.
I consider the internet a mental institution containing it's inmates with 2 foot tall fences.

Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:

What I have seen recently is several hate emails with made up B.S. attempting to discredit Muslims and President Obama claiming to be quoting Snopes as supporting their B.S., hoping no one will actually check it out. Every time, I found out the quote was taken out of context, putting an erroneous spin on it, when actually Snopes is saying the opposite.

Yep, it's gotten so now when I see an email claim that Snopes agrees with their nonsense, I can pretty much assume the opposite to be the case.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F53 chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS
Quadra Bigfoot EZE Levelers
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/12 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snopes is usually the best source for information about internet urban legends. The vast majority of the time, they are spot on. However, I do like to verify their results by doing my own "homework," mostly to satisfy scoffers. I can't remember the last time I ever found a mistake there.

What I have seen recently is several hate emails with made up B.S. attempting to discredit Muslims and President Obama claiming to be quoting Snopes as supporting their B.S., hoping no one will actually check it out. Every time, I found out the quote was taken out of context, putting an erroneous spin on it, when actually Snopes is saying the opposite.

Jeannie

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the kudos for Snopes--they back up their information, opinions with evidence in the form of accurate examples, references, and sound logic. I have no problem accepting most of the Snopes's reasoning--they are certainly heads above the average internet opinion you will find. Snopes is merely a tool we can use to dismiss some of the more outrageous claims that are made on the internet regularly.
The minute I read something that just doesn't seem "right" particularly when it comes to quotes or suspicious associations, I go to Snopes to verify and generally they have addressed the matter. Snopes is a very good site to do initial "sweeps" to verify some silly claim you may read at one of the many social sites we use regularly.

Shearwater

NE Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/12 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator - Thanks for your info and your insight.

Mike and Trish

Southern Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/12 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I like best about Snopes is that anytime I get one of those "pass-around" e-mails that just don't sound quite believable, I go right to Snopes and discover that yep, it's been circulating since 1999 and has been disproved long ago.

Mike and Trish
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2014 Honda CR-V on Blue Ox towbar
Yorkiepoos - Janis and Jimi

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/12 04:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just come to this forum to see if it's true or not.Always someone here who knows everything.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts