|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anyone have experience with an Awning Screen Room

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Padeena

New Brunswick

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had one for our pop up. Nice, but a PITA (pain in the a$$) to put up. Much easier, and cheaper, to get yourself a free standing screen room.

Too Young to Retire

Sun Diego

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/12 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had one. Wind came up while we were out. Destroyed the PattyO room, and the awning. So take it down every time you leave camp, or it gets windy. Too much work.

Chevy 3500HD Crewcab, SB, Diesel for sale

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/12 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one that I`m trying to sell! if you will take a quick side trip to pick it up when you leave I will be more than happy to sell it to you! LOL

Seriously, I had my Patty-O-Room on my first TT. they are nice for the extra living space, we had a smaller TT and no slide so it worked out great. had it up through a couple of storms and it never moved, it is pretty heavy and it makes it hard for the wind to get under it. I no longer use it mainly because we now have a larger trailer with a big slide and 2 bedrooms. the other reason is they are a PAIN to put up and take down! for a week it would be great, for a few days at a time the setup and take down would get old quick!

Save the money for gas and site seeing!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Shadow R.I.P.

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/12 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My only experience was staring in amazement at a patio room for two months during the winter in Arizona as it withstood wind, rain, and hail! I agree that they would only appeal if you were going to set up for a good length of time but I can attest that the one my neighbor had was impervious to wind, unlike a mere awning. I don't know the particular brand that this guy had but it appeared to be rock solid no matter what Mother Nature threw at it and gave the owner quite a bit more room to recreate in. This "room" was solid--not net.

computerbug

Sarasota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lot of work. Bought an easy up with screen attachment.

Too Young to Retire

Sun Diego

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/12 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckster11 wrote:

My only experience was staring in amazement at a patio room for two months during the winter in Arizona as it withstood wind, rain, and hail! I agree that they would only appeal if you were going to set up for a good length of time but I can attest that the one my neighbor had was impervious to wind, unlike a mere awning. I don't know the particular brand that this guy had but it appeared to be rock solid no matter what Mother Nature threw at it and gave the owner quite a bit more room to recreate in. This "room" was solid--not net.

Was it built with 2x4's?

rgrcpa

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW. You guys!! I have a screen room that attaches to our rig but have never used it. I list it as an asset in my RV for sale ads as an ASSET. I hope potential buyers don't see this thread. They make me KEEP it.

Rick Roberts
RV Part-timer
2002 Jayco Granite Ridge 32'

daytona7

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone tried the Carefree Vacation'r? I full-time in a 5th wheel with slideouts, 5-?? months at one site or another. The Vacation'r looks a lot better keeping the rain out than the O'Paddy Rooms with all screen. I prefer sitting outside having my morning coffee and eating in the fresh air or talking to neighbors and playing cards but do not like the bugs. Have had Ez-Ups when racing RC cars but they were a real pain to put up by yourself and I've seen too many get blown away with 30-50 mile winds.

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoyed our Patty O'Room when we had our Holiday Rambler Class A, but the bag containing the room is pretty big and heavy to haul around if you don't set it up when camping. It came in handy as an extra place to store stuff outside out of the weather, or to sit in during stormy weather if you didn't want to be inside. Also was great for the kids to play in or the dog to be outdoors nearby where she didn't get in trouble. Now that we have a Class B, we've opted for a screen tent which is easy to erect and doesn't use much space when folded up and stored in its bag. Both have their advantages.

MeandMyLabs

Clinton, Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/12 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased the Carefree Vacation'r this year and have used it a couple of times. As others have stated, they do take a little time to set up, about an hour (1 person). Our TT has only one door and so I fashioned a hinge type pvc swinging door with a PVC pipe frame. It works very well and beats zipping and unzipping the door every time you enter or exit. If your RV has 2 doors, one can be dedicated to the screen room and the other entry into the RV if the the screen room does not extend to that door. I had to do quite a bit of work to get a bug free room as it did not seal very well to my aluminum siding. If you have fiberglass sidewalls, it will be much easier.

The Vacation'r adds a certain amount of stability to your awning but I would not be very comfortable with it set up when winds are expected to top 30 mph in an open setting. I watch the weather pretty closely when mine is up and would rather take it down during the day than in the middle of the night during a storm. I am glad we purchased the Vacation'r and will use it quite a bit, but not for just a weekend outing. It does really help to double the square footage of a small camper.

2013 XLR 27 HFS
2009 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0 L
Yamaha 2400is
Champion 4000 watt
Yamaha Zuma 50cc
Kawasaki Brute Force 650
Camping Buddy - Raji (yellow lab)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anyone have experience with an Awning Screen Room