|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> HGTV looking for RV'ers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/12 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Came across this today. Didn't see it in a search so sorry if it has been posted before. HGTV is looking for people looking to buy their dream RV (any type) to be on TV. They are filming at the Hershey PA RV show in Sept. They are only looking for 3 couples/families. Here is all the info. One of the things they mentioned was people with a knowledge of RV's welcomed (newbies welcome too). Wouldn't it be funny if one of us went on there and showed everyone how much the salesmen really don't know about the RV's!

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

bdpreece

Woodburn Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you really think one of them would be stupid enough to comment on camera how you can tow a 42 foot fifth wheel with a half ton pickup. Then again maybe!

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Castaic Lion

Santa Clarita, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/12 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They did a similar show last year. Lots of ooooo's and ahhhh's from people who were really most hung up on the appearance and green factor. It was humorous to say the least but not too informative.
I'd rather see the ridulously expensive Busses the 1% have built for them. That's camping.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/12 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

None of that show is real world...and they certainly wouldn't want me and my budget!

Still though, enjoy watching the show, helps breaks up the mid winter monotony!

Mike

2007 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab 4x4 Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Control Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors

States we've camped in so far...

Mike& Rose

Lake & Horse country,Blackstone Valley MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watched the show featuring the 3 families. I kept yelling at the television, "DON"T Buy anything until you look at more models and types of RV".
Beside the purchase of the RV there are so many other factors to consider before taking the plunge. Service, maintenance, storage, driving, lifestyle, inspection stickers, insurance, loans, will it fit in your driveway, clearance to access driveway , how everything functions ....... We rented before we made our purchase and glad we did and researched most of the major question we had. Thanks to many of the forum members over the years for sharing their words of wisdom.

See you on the road!

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think they should get someone knowledgable on here to go on there so that the public can be educated. Maybe have someone from the HTT or pup's to show this end, TT or 5er (talk about payload and towing capacities), and class A or C's to educate in those areas. I think it would be great to watch a salesman or manufacturer squirm when telling someone the 35' double slide TT with triple bunks and outside kitchen as well as every option out there is 1/2 ton towable. It would be really entertaining if they filmed while the person tried to hook it up to said 1/2 ton without a WDH and just watched the bottom of the TV drop out. Then the buyer came back and spouted all the useful info learned here and even referenced the website!

I am however surprised they don't follow the new owners around as they now outfit their beautiful new rig with zero gravity chairs, new grills, patio mats, awning lights and the list goes on. Maybe they could even do a show called "decorate my RV".

Here'n'There

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Previous responses fail to recognize that the annual "Dream RV" show is... well... just a SHOW. You know... HOLLYWOOD? And my remarks are NOT intended to cast dispersion on anyone's comments... just my take on the show and the intent of airing it. Personally I enjoy watching the show even though DW and I are becoming fairly well in tune with the RV Lifestyle having been full timing for 3.5 years.

GLITZ and GLAMOUR, that's what RV's are for the uninitiated. Wasn't THAT a big part of what got you interested in spending thousands on RVs? If the show concentrated on "electric dump valves" and "macerators" instead of the "hide-a-way HD TV" and the "pull out spice rack"... well... how boring and unappealing that would that be for the average viewer? Not very! Boring show = fewer viewers = cancellation. And "watching a salesman squirm" wouldn't do much to bolster potential first time buyer's confidence in the industry.

I mean come on... leave the show alone. Is the "real" world of RVing so disappointing for you that you find it necessary to burst the bubble of all those viewers that "have THE dream"?

As for DW and I... THAT dream has come true even though we are still learning the good, the bad and the ugly associated with the lifestyle!

Here'n'There
2009 Carri-Lite 36SBQ 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel Dually
On the road with Here'n'There
Role of the C133 in Viet Nam

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've watched the show for a couple of years. They go to the Hershey show and 'assist' 3 different families on deciding on an RV. Of course, it seems as if some of the families have unrealistic expectations. I have heard the salesmen be upfront about needing a 3/4 ton or a dually for a big trailer. I wonder how some of these young couples have a budget of $80,000! Anyway, I love to watch as anything that has RVs gets me jazzed to go!
Maybe they should do a follow-up show after the purchase!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> HGTV looking for RV'ers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS