|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> SIRUS/XM RADIO

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
snail

south west Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm confused and need some help. I want to purchase hardware for satellite radio use in our 3 vehicles and at home. I do not want to pay seperate fees for 3 vehicles and one home. Two of the 3 vehicle radios are satellite ready, our motor home is not. The 2 vehicles have aux ports.

I had planned to purchase something like the plug and play for the home and them move the receiver to the vehicles when we travel. If I understand correctly, I can plug the satellite radio receiver directly into the aux port on the 2 car radios and use an adaptor for input to the motor home radio. Our tuner at home is approximately 10 years old. I'm assuming I can connect the satellite radio directly to the tuner via one of the input connections on the back of the tuner.

My questions are:

Do I need to purchase a subscription for both sm and sirus service?

What hardware will I need to purchase to accomplish this work? Satellite radio, dock, kits, antenna, etc, etc.

Am I correct in thinkinig I can directly and easily connect the satellite receiver into the aux ports on the two cars? Can I use the existing car antenna or will I need to install a seperate satellite antenna?

Will the satellite radio receiver connect directly to one of the aux connections on the back of the tuner in the house?

What am I missing?

Thank you I appreciate your input

snail

DRIVE A 2001 NEWMAR DUTCH STAR WITH 330 HP CUMMINS AND TOW A RANGER 4X4. TRAVEL WITH SPOUSE AND PET TINKER BELL OUR CORGIE.

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/12 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option exists if you own a smartphone. I have a Sirius account in the car (built in receiver) and for $2.99/mo additional, have it on my iPhone. When in the RV or the other car, I can simply use my phone to receive the service and it works very well. Just watch your data usage.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2003 Monaco Executive M43 DS2

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

snail wrote:

I'm confused and need some help. I want to purchase hardware for satellite radio use in our 3 vehicles and at home. I do not want to pay seperate fees for 3 vehicles and one home. Two of the 3 vehicle radios are satellite ready, our motor home is not. The 2 vehicles have aux ports.

I had planned to purchase something like the plug and play for the home and them move the receiver to the vehicles when we travel. If I understand correctly, I can plug the satellite radio receiver directly into the aux port on the 2 car radios and use an adaptor for input to the motor home radio. Our tuner at home is approximately 10 years old. I'm assuming I can connect the satellite radio directly to the tuner via one of the input connections on the back of the tuner.

My questions are:

Do I need to purchase a subscription for both sm and sirus service?NO!

What hardware will I need to purchase to accomplish this work? Satellite radio, dock, kits, antenna, etc, etc. Go to their website and pick one of the battery powered ones. Not sure of the name of the newest models, but they have one that is battery powered, can be moved from dock to dock and also be carried like a portable radio. Comes with one docking package (home I think). Buy a docking kit for each vehicle and hook them up. On my vehicles I simply bought adapters that connect to the existing antenna and my radio is turned into a mini broadcast station. If you have aux inputs you simply connect there and select aux in on your radio and listen away.

Am I correct in thinkinig I can directly and easily connect the satellite receiver into the aux ports on the two cars? Can I use the existing car antenna or will I need to install a seperate satellite antenna? Each docking kit comes with a portable antenna. Generally they are magnetic based for vehicles.

Will the satellite radio receiver connect directly to one of the aux connections on the back of the tuner in the house?

What am I missing? The radio

Thank you I appreciate your input

snail

We have an older version of this:
http://shop.siriusxm.com/xm/ctl10600/cp49759/si4552593/cl1/xmp3i_portable_radio_with_home_kit
And love them. while we do not normally use them on battery power I really like the recording feature. When reception is bad we simply switch to recorded content for hours of listening pleasure.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
Resident Dummy.

mycopsycho

Denver, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the SiriusXM Lynx portable satellite radio at Crutchfield's website. It might give you the best of all worlds. You would need a combined radio/internet radio account to get full functionality. BTW, this week I added internet radio to one of my radio accounts and it is running $3.50/month.

2007.5 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ cc Duramax(LMM)/Allison with Titan 52-gal fuel tank, Edge Insight CTS
2012 Arctic Fox 25R

Dennis M M

Geneva, IL; Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/12 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of different options and they are confusing. You can go to their website, which is not really user friendly, or stop somewhere like Radio Shack and look at options. Forget about any customer service from Sirius/XM, all they care about are commercial customers. Unfortunately they are the only game in town.

We have a home dock in the fiver and play it through the surround sound. Have a vehicle dock in the truck and use the FM broadcast since the truck radio does not have an input port.

You need an antenna for each location. We use the portable one in the fiver, just place it in a south facing window. I bought a mirror mount antenna for the truck.

We have an ala-carte subscription which cost a little over $8 a month for selected stations - not all are available that way. Cheapest option we could find since we primarily wanted NPR.

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'11 smart fortwo on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/12 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience with a Sirius/XM trial - we were traveling on main routes in PA and NJ recently when Sirius was offering a free trial - no need to do anything to get it but turn on the radio. I have a Sirius tuner in my RV dash radio and we turned it on to see if we liked it. For three days we would get the same thing- songs would start - somewhere in the middle, the sound would stop and the word "Acquiring" would be displayed on the radio's screen - and then the music would start again. It became so annoying that we just turned it off. Maybe it works well in urban areas but this free trail convinced me never to subscribe.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

mycopsycho

Denver, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1775 wrote:

My experience with a Sirius/XM trial - we were traveling on main routes in PA and NJ recently when Sirius was offering a free trial - no need to do anything to get it but turn on the radio. I have a Sirius tuner in my RV dash radio and we turned it on to see if we liked it. For three days we would get the same thing- songs would start - somewhere in the middle, the sound would stop and the word "Acquiring" would be displayed on the radio's screen - and then the music would start again. It became so annoying that we just turned it off. Maybe it works well in urban areas but this free trail convinced me never to subscribe.

Not my experience at all after almost 10 years of satellite radio use. Of course, you can lose your signal if the view to the south is blocked by tall trees or close-by mountains. But I've used sat radio driving all over the west and into Canada and SE Alaska. It has kept my sanity during hours of driving alone across WY, NV, UT, MT, etc., where all you can get is religious or country and western stations. My apologies if these are your favorites; but, they're not mine. It also allows me to know what's happening in the news. BBC World Service happens to be one of my favorites. In Canada I get pretty good reception until I get to the Prince George area, then I will lose it in the deep river valleys or in among high mountains to the south. Around Watson Lake reception just gets a little worse and goes in out more. But I've gotten excellent sat reception around Whitehorse and even Haines Junction where it is the time to turn off the radio.

wa_desert_rat

Central Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was working and driving my car or truck a lot I listened to XM on the road but at home not so much because we have satellite TV with some decent music and NPR on the Internet (amazing choices, too). I have a Samsung portable that I would just shift back and forth (along with the little hockey-puck antenna).

Here in the desert of Central Washington (state) we have few trees and so the coverage was great. But if I drove roads in valleys with steep hills around the signal would cut in and out. It was almost unusable in the Columbia River Gorge, for instance. This is because I'm in a high latitude (47N) and the satellite is lower on the horizong; the high hills (and tall trees over the road) block the signal. NJ and PA have much the same problem, I suspect.

They keep asking me to re-subscribe and I'm going to as soon as the DW retires. Since we like the deserts of the western USA it should not be too annoying.

Urban areas have similar problems but I understand that they have booster transmitters strategically located to help with the spots that are blocked from the satellite.

Craig

Rog & Nan

Michigan City, IN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out TSS-Radio.com They have all kinds of deals on receivers and adapters I have purchased several items from them. They have great deals on antennas all the time. We have 3 car adapters - 3 antennas that do extreemly well just sitting on the dash of each vehichle including the motorhome. Have a Boombox that we use at home and outside the Mh at the campground. one receiver means only one subscription. Also have a neat little desk top thingy that I put the receiver in for the house, (no longer available). This year we purchased an outside antenna for the house thingy - works great. TSS has always been helpful when I have called and asked stupid questions -- give them a try.

Rog & Nan
'96 Cruise Master
32' no slide (love it)
'99 SW2 Saturn Toad
Roadmaster Tow & Brake
Banks Power

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> SIRUS/XM RADIO
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts